Ship Request: stock space shuttle

Well...

I've attempted that before..."Catastrophic Failure" :o

The only acceptable attempt without specific shuttle parts was with KW Rocketry. It never quite made it to orbit... And it also sucked at gliding. But it wasn't all that bad for an almost stock try (I actually used SRBs). I'll find some pictures and post them later.

I now resided to Tyberdyne's Shuttle Parts to build a proper shuttle (I know, not quite a design challenge, but then again, the real shuttle did have very high gimbal engines, so there's no reason that we don't imo).

Also, part of the shuttle was the idea that it was carried to space by two HUGEA** Solid rocket boosters.

In stock parts, there are no such boosters, and Liquid fuelled boosters always seemed so lame in connection to the shuttle...

That being said, I highly appreciate looking at stock shuttle designs, having attempted these before and knowing how hard it is to make it work.

• 2 months later...
I think the poorer image quality make it look like an '80s shuttle launch broadcasting. Looks more vintage.

It's silly, but I think I like it. I kinda want to add some news headline to go with it.

Regarding shuttles, I managed to get this thing into orbit:

paPMzWu.png

Fuel-wise, it didn't actually take much.

mmWiarT.png

It's just that getting to orbit was... harrowing. The stability is so awful, I had to add some radial engines on an action group just to keep the thing from flipping.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/13/2013 at 4:51 PM, Djsnowboy267 said:

Just a quick word of advice: If you are going to make a space shuttle in KSP, make it with engines on both sides, and try to get over the fact that it doesn't look like the real space shuttle. I used two orange tanks on either side (actually just two half orange tanks, because I think they look better and help avoid overheat) with two large SRBs on either side. I know it can get to atleast 100 km but haven't quite fully tested it yet. An orbiting ship with a robotic core, a fuel and RCS tank, and a docking port, and you can dock the shuttle and refuel enough to get to Mun. Unfortunately, I had no testing for landing in low gravity planets with the engines, and I ended up crashing.

You can Make a Shuttle That Looks Like the real One You Only Need to Clip In Tanks In the front and canards

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.