Gravity

Tech_Spec

My theory is that the space station was de-orbited by an object launched specifically to destroy it. A massive object travelling at 50 - 100m/s can give approximately enough impulse to de-orbit the station. Whether the whole thing would de-orbit, who knows.

So for whatever reason I feel like making sense of this nonsense.

Theory is, something, lets say a meteoroid, hits the shuttle wing causing it to spin like crazy and as a result she unclips from the shuttle arm trying to prevent passing out and being spun to death, but just slings herself into space.

The shuttle was not docked, but was on its way, so she flys by the station and tries to catch on.

And then more destruction from something, this time at the space station.

And then the soyuz decides to burn for whatever reason, possibly somehow taking a small piece of the station with it, and deorbiting.

Or the more plausible explanation: Jeb arrived.

PS I like the part where she screams "I can't breathe!"

Edited by Superluminaut

Things happen to stations like that. I think this movie has a shot at expressing how scary being an astronaut can be if something like this happens.

Yes, and it most certainly can happen especially with all the debris in space. Though, not sure if it would deorbit anything. It looks like an interesting movie. Also, this is one of the many reasons I have a fear of traveling into space. However the universe is too interesting for that fear to stop me if I had the chance :3.

I just wanna know what the heck she was doing on EVA before the shuttle docked...also apparently ( it looked like it anyway ) the ISS was right next to HUBBLE. Oh and according to NASA the massive majority of debris in the same altitude of the ISS is at or less than 10 cm.

Ps. Still gonna see the movie anyways. Space is good!

Look at the scare with Mir...

Taken from Wiki...

During the operation of Mir, a number of accidents occurred which threatened the safety of the station, such as the glancing collision between Kristall and Soyuz TM-17 during proximity operations in January 1994. The three most alarming incidents, however, occurred during EO-23. The first of these, on 23 February 1997 during the handover period from EO-22 to EO-23, followed a malfunction in one of the station's backup Vika system, a chemical oxygen generator later known as solid-fuel oxygen generator (SFOG). The Vika malfunction led to a fire which burned for around 90 seconds (according to official sources at the TsUP; astronaut Jerry Linenger, however, insists the fire burned for around 14 minutes), and produced large amounts of toxic smoke that filled the station for around 45 minutes. This forced the crew to don respirators, but some of the respirator masks initially worn were broken. Some of the fire extinguishers mounted on the walls of the newer modules were immovable.[22][37]

The other two accidents which occurred during EO-23 concerned testing of the station's TORU manual docking system to manually dock Progress M-33 and Progress M-34. The tests were called in order to gauge the performance of long-distance docking in order to enable the cash-strapped Russians to remove the expensive Kurs automatic docking system from Progress spacecraft. However, due to malfunctioning equipment, both tests failed, with Progress M-33 narrowly missing the station and Progress M-34 striking Spektr and puncturing the module, causing the station to depressurise and leading to Spektr being permanently sealed off. This in turn led to a power crisis aboard Mir as the module's solar arrays produced a large proportion of the station's electrical supply, causing the station to power down and begin to drift, requiring weeks of work to rectify before work could continue as normal.

Now why they never made a movie of things like that happening.... but hey, the viewers want spectacular action... like in Armageddon with the refuelling lol...

If anything, it provides space exploration some exposure, It's not Hollywood's fault stock space is boring for the masses, so they have to mod it. It is entertainment anyway, not a documentary. I love space, I know stuffs about it, But I still enjoy movies like this.
Exposure like Armageddon?:P

What do you guys think about this?

Looks interesting to me too.

Still gonna see the movie anyways. Space is good!

I tend to agree, even though I'm one of the ones who gripes that it would be nice to have more realistic space travel movies from Hollywood. The more movies about space travel are lucrative to studios, the more movies about space travel we're going to get... and some of them might even take pains to be realistic.

There's a difficulty when the space travel movie in question is, say, Armageddon, of course. Will the movie executives take that as "Audiences want more space travel!", or as "Audiences want more brainless sci-fi action with OMG explosions!"?

Even though we get to vote with our cash for the movies we want, the communication link between producer and consumer is noisy. Not sure how to fix that, though the Internet has been making certain kinds of communication between producers and consumers possible that was a mere pipe dream in previous generations. For the same reason that I like to see musicians selling their art directly to consumers (cutting out the corrupt recording industry as a middle man), I'm optimistic.

What do you guys think about this?

The official website touts it as the most realistic space travel depicted in a movie yet. And I like the setting. It's impossible to get any idea about the plot or characters from the trailer, though.

Wow, if everyone here is right, then the us space program is in healthy shape. Lol, I feel so humbled to be an idiot surrounded by such astro-geniuses, IMO.

This reminds me of a group of guys playing BO, that all have theories on how to best lay waste to an enemy target, and yet, this is all being done from the safety of their home. Lol, this is a game, never loose sight of that. NASA has its own people. Hollywood wants money, not realism.

And I thought star trek was a documentary on nasa efforts.

Any car in a hollywood movie explodes as if it is loaded to the top with nitroglycerine. This, I blame, is the reason most people don't dare to rescue an injured person from a car. Because they think it can explode any time. Cars just don't explode.

Hollywood made this myth that many people believe in. We have to be careful with those myths that are about to be created.

Any car in a hollywood movie explodes as if it is loaded to the top with nitroglycerine. This, I blame, is the reason most people don't dare to rescue an injured person from a car. Because they think it can explode any time. Cars just don't explode.

Hollywood made this myth that many people believe in. We have to be careful with those myths that are about to be created.

It's generally quite a good thing that people don't personally try to save people from serious car crashes: someone who doesn't know what they're doing is only going to cause more damage by rotating the spine in the wrong directions or forcing the victim to contort in ways that place added stress on internal organs that might very well already be damaged. Although I've been at the scene of a milder crash between a car and a motorbike and everyone around instantly got out of their cars to help. Quite a lot of us even ended up standing in a ring around the motorcyclist, who was unable to stand up or move from the floor, so that other cars wouldn't be likely to run him over. I can't say I saw any evidence of people being scared that the car/bike would explode. Y'know why? Because people can tell the difference between reality and films.

Whenever something like film/game realism comes up there's always this air of 'oh won't somebody think of the poor little peasants who can't tell the difference between entertainment and reality!' Eugh, it's so patronising it's carcinogenic.

Unless they are the Taliban specials.

Whenever something like film/game realism comes up there's always this air of 'oh won't somebody think of the poor little peasants who can't tell the difference between entertainment and reality!' Eugh, it's so patronising it's carcinogenic.

While I do agree about this for most things, the Coconut Effect (misconceptions about reality based off of entertainment's projections of certain things) is quite real for that which people are not regularly exposed to. And unfortunately, anything involving going beyond the Kármán Line is something that over 99.9% of humans alive today have no experience with. Like it or not, most people do base their understanding of space at least in part on how it's presented to them in fiction. Because they lack the context necessary to recognize when they're being lied to, and because they lack the knowledge and/or experience necessary to realize how it actually works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.