For All Mankind: A great movie to watch if your yearning for real NASA footage

dom.stb

Since the discovery post went down well, I thought I'd share a movie that just made my jaw drop all the way through. It is called "For All Mankind" by Al Reinert.

He basically took the 16mm film that all the apollo astronauts shot on their missions and cut it together. It's edited together like it's all one mission to the moon, but of course it's actually footage from all the apollo missions spliced together. There are no talking heads, and the only narration is real audio from the missions or audio from interviews the astronauts did after the missions. They talk alot about the beauty and awe of it all.

You do briefly get to see footage of the apollo 13 "successful failure" where they could see their oxygen venting out of the ship through their window and desperately tried to fix the problem. Also, you get to see guys on the moon jumping around and giggling and rocking around in the rover.

I recommend the blu-ray release because it has the most beautiful HD transfer of the film stock with all the noise/scratches/speckles removed. Aside from the 4:3 aspect ratio it looks like it could have been brand new, modern day footage.

Anyway, for those of you that haven't seen it, I think it's a must:

Here it is on IMDB.

Enjoy!

It's a fantastic film, I've got the blu-ray. The soundtrack is amazing too, by Brian Eno, who among other things did the startup chime for windows 95. It's good music for playing KSP to, except obviously it's not written for looping.

One of the blu-ray bonuses had one of the Apollo veterans exhibiting the paintings he'd made of the moon, with bits of actual moon dust in them from the mission patches on his spacesuit, and the paint was textured with the actual outsole of the spacesuits. Pretty unique.

One of the blu-ray bonuses had one of the Apollo veterans exhibiting the paintings he'd made of the moon, with bits of actual moon dust in them from the mission patches on his spacesuit, and the paint was textured with the actual outsole of the spacesuits. Pretty unique.

I remember seeing this on some show and it clicked with me when you mentioned the paintings using moon dust. Can't remember offhand which veteran it is.

There are so many amazing sequences in that film.

The LM undocking is straight out of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The extended sequence of EVA footage on the moon is amazing too, thrashing the rover around and giggling about the way they're walking.

But what makes the movie for me is the amazing stuff the astronauts say about being in space. It's so full of wonder.

Cool, will have to check that out. Another film to check out if you love the footage from Apollo missions would be "In the Shadow of the Moon". It's more of a documentary, but it's fantastic. It is pieces of footage taking you through the mission with interviews from all the LEM pilots and Commanders from the missions, except a couple.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.