[0.21.x] KerbCom Avionics 0.3.0.6 Alpha (29 August) - now with video!

ZRM

Have you tried decreasing the torque sensitivity/strength like I suggested previously? If you put it at around 5%, although the control is sluggish, it tends not to be unbalanced since the input more closely matches the output throttles. I have a jet-powered VTOL that I have used successfully for regular trips around Kerbin, though it doesn't have wings so it's a bit slow since it's limited to vertical thrust only.

I tried that, but now that I think of it, it was usually after I lost some control. I'll try this and what Torminator said too. Thanks guys.

ZRM informed me that a few users were having trouble with the video being blocked because of the song. I uploaded a separate version using Youtube's royalty-free music, for those who've had trouble.

Thanks for that. I've updated the OP.

So today I had time to hook up Tiberdyne to your plugin properly and test it out. I was only able to test the Buran-style launcher of course since the other one uses SRBs.

Results were mixed, but good overall, and you can probably help me figure out the lingering issues.

hxKGFDh.jpg

From ignition through booster jettison it worked flawlessly and flew straight as an arrow, and I was able to roll to 90 for pitch-over with no issues.

The main issue I had came when I jettisoned the boosters. The main engine throttled back to what seemed to be 10% and held it for 10 or 15 seconds then slowly throttled back to full. I assume it was because of the Center of mass switch from the boosters dropping off. Unfortunately at that point, those engines are the only ones running, so the shuttle starts bleeding vertical velocity and dropped back from 400m/s to 280 before it resumed full throttle, which wastes a lot of the work the boosters did. Also with the throttle down it lacked a little control authority, so you can't touch the controls at that point.

It was still able to make it to orbit, once it throttled back up I was able to finish pitch over and dropped the tank with Periapsis at 25k with just a bit of fuel left. The plugin was able to properly control the shuttle's offset orbital engines and circularization was easy to do.

The RCS manager handled the pretty-weird RCS setup on the shuttle, so zero complaints on that end.

I also like that there is only one small UI window for the plugin, that you can hide and recall from the command pod. I like to deliver minimalist experiences with my mods and let people add on their own frills, so if you do add more displays and autopilots and such, please leave them optional

So, is there any chance the SRBs will be added to the solver soon? It's pretty crucial to an authentic shuttle experience IMO.

And any idea why its throttling down so severely? The engines are highly gimballed (7.5 to 10 degrees, depending on the engine) so I'd prefer it gimbal more and throttle down less to keep the thrust balanced.

Anyway, so far so good. :)

And any idea why its throttling down so severely? The engines are highly gimballed (7.5 to 10 degrees, depending on the engine) so I'd prefer it gimbal more and throttle down less to keep the thrust balanced.

I would assume because it's assuming the engines cannot gimble and is trying to adjust the engines to produce no pitching movement even without gimbaling. ...wait, when was that support added? Nevermind... Time to go have fun with VTOLs again.

Also, a request: would it be possible to add engine Isp optimization? Where it tries for the best fuel effeciency given an overall throttle level? So, for example, if you have a craft with a NERVA and a standard rocket engine it would burn exclusively with the NERVA at low thrusts.

I seem to have run into another issue. Tonight I reworked the part masses, tank volumes, and thrust values since I am moving the shuttles from the standard Mk3 hulls (2.5m scale roughly) up to 3.75m in order to carry larger cargo.

Whatever I did seems to put the solver into an error state, its now spamming the log with Solved Result: UNBOUNDED errors (and I really mean spamming) with the UI stating "Internal Error 04"

Enabling the Combined mode immediately cuts all thrust due to the error, whether sitting on the pad with the boosters, or (after manually flying through the booster stage) with just the main engine left after booster sep.

Using Mechjeb;

Max Thrust: 9850 kN

Pad Weight: 486 tons

Surface TWR: 2.3

Max Acceleration: 22 m/s^2

Total dV is 5500

So today I had time to hook up Tiberdyne to your plugin properly and test it out. I was only able to test the Buran-style launcher of course since the other one uses SRBs.

Results were mixed, but good overall, and you can probably help me figure out the lingering issues.

From ignition through booster jettison it worked flawlessly and flew straight as an arrow, and I was able to roll to 90 for pitch-over with no issues.

The main issue I had came when I jettisoned the boosters. The main engine throttled back to what seemed to be 10% and held it for 10 or 15 seconds then slowly throttled back to full. I assume it was because of the Center of mass switch from the boosters dropping off. Unfortunately at that point, those engines are the only ones running, so the shuttle starts bleeding vertical velocity and dropped back from 400m/s to 280 before it resumed full throttle, which wastes a lot of the work the boosters did. Also with the throttle down it lacked a little control authority, so you can't touch the controls at that point.

It was still able to make it to orbit, once it throttled back up I was able to finish pitch over and dropped the tank with Periapsis at 25k with just a bit of fuel left. The plugin was able to properly control the shuttle's offset orbital engines and circularization was easy to do.

The RCS manager handled the pretty-weird RCS setup on the shuttle, so zero complaints on that end.

I also like that there is only one small UI window for the plugin, that you can hide and recall from the command pod. I like to deliver minimalist experiences with my mods and let people add on their own frills, so if you do add more displays and autopilots and such, please leave them optional

So, is there any chance the SRBs will be added to the solver soon? It's pretty crucial to an authentic shuttle experience IMO.

Anyway, so far so good. :)

I seem to have run into another issue. Tonight I reworked the part masses, tank volumes, and thrust values since I am moving the shuttles from the standard Mk3 hulls (2.5m scale roughly) up to 3.75m in order to carry larger cargo.

Whatever I did seems to put the solver into an error state, its now spamming the log with Solved Result: UNBOUNDED errors (and I really mean spamming) with the UI stating "Internal Error 04"

Enabling the Combined mode immediately cuts all thrust due to the error, whether sitting on the pad with the boosters, or (after manually flying through the booster stage) with just the main engine left after booster sep.

Using Mechjeb;

Max Thrust: 9850 kN

Pad Weight: 486 tons

Surface TWR: 2.3

Max Acceleration: 22 m/s^2

Total dV is 5500

Looks like you've found a bug (or two). Unless I can reproduce it it would be difficult for me to figure out exactly what's wrong. Any chance that I can have a copy of your setup? UNBOUNDED in the fuel optimisation stage (which is what all that means) probably implies that the fuel objective function somehow has at least one infinite coefficient. So it would be a case of adding Debug.Log statements to figure out what's dividing by zero. The fuel optimisation stage is the last stage, after the torque optimisation, thrust optimisation and monopropellant optimisation, so whatever is breaking it can't be breaking the other stages, which would suggest that it's calculating the fuel efficiency of the engines incorrectly.

Edit: Regarding SRBs, that is something I will only look into after the first Kerbin Mini Shuttle release due to the considerable amount of work involved, as several parts of the solving process will need to be overhauled since they often rely on zero thrust being feasible.

Hello! This plugin still breaks mechjeb auto docking?

Yep. Not much I can do about that without trying to fix MechJeb. Auto-docking doesn't seem to work (for me) very well anyway.

Also, a request: would it be possible to add engine Isp optimization? Where it tries for the best fuel effeciency given an overall throttle level? So, for example, if you have a craft with a NERVA and a standard rocket engine it would burn exclusively with the NERVA at low thrusts.

It should be doing that already. If it isn't either it can't, because using the NERVAs exclusively would not be balanced, or it's somehow bugged (and might be related to Tiberion's problem).

Edited by ZRM

It should be doing that already. If it isn't either it can't, because using the NERVAs exclusively would not be balanced, or it's somehow bugged (and might be related to Tiberion's problem).

Oh ok. I meant a way to enable in even when the thrust balancer is off, but that is good for now.

Also, if/when you get SRB support, would it be possible to add a manual override for specific engines? I've got a semi-helicopter that I've been working on, but it requires the rotor tip engines to be separately controllable - this plugin doesn't handle it well.

I wanted to throw in two more quirks I found (one is arguably a bug, the other is a usability issue):

1) KCA seems to assume that all engines on a vehicle are available for use, whether they're active or not. I have a launch vehicle with three main engines, two SRBs (separatrons, not launch boosters), and an upper stage with a smallish monopropellant rocket. KCA reports 6 engines, which is right, but not all of those engines are active at once (and some are not available for control). If I enable KCA and launch using MJ, when I tip into the gravity turn, the main engines throttle back drastically (to the point of losing speed) despite the throttle setting being "full". The only engines that were enabled were the three main engines. RCS was off, the separator SRBs were off, and the upper stage was off, so any throttle computations should have accounted for that.

2) KCA UI behavior is odd when there are multiple avionics units on the same ship. It looks like the avionics package defers so only one unit is controlling the ship, but the UI is only accessible from that controlling unit, which means guessing and clicking around to find the right one if I need to bring the UI up, which is tricky if the controlling unit is underneath fairings. A similar problem comes up if the UI is active when I dock - the active unit defers control to another unit, and the UI disappears. This means I can't change modes on the docked ship until that package becomes the controlling one. I think what should happen is that the GUI should be accessible from any unit, and that control settings that are selected are distributed to all KCA units in the combined vessel (so they're all in a known, selected state at the time they separate). The UI should remain visible if it was visible from any KCA units. I don't know how to decide which KCA unit's settings are applied when two ships dock - but I think all units should have the same setting.

Just did some testing with this and seems to work smoothly. Also did some testing with KAS winch and buran manipulator and lifting Kethane tank and that also worked very well! Can have nice lifters now with this mod!

Just have to strut my test craft bit better as it got torn apart with the extra load hanging at the side of the craft :D. Too much wiggling haha

Oh ok. I meant a way to enable in even when the thrust balancer is off, but that is good for now.

Also, if/when you get SRB support, would it be possible to add a manual override for specific engines? I've got a semi-helicopter that I've been working on, but it requires the rotor tip engines to be separately controllable - this plugin doesn't handle it well.

That is a possibility, but it would require quite a few changes to the overall structure of the GUI so that it all works well. It's on my to-do list.

I recommend changing the name to "KerbComm" to avoid possible arguments with KerbCam...

Anyways, great idea! Looking forward to this! :)

I don't think that is a solution to a legitimate problem. I do not believe many people would make the mistake you're suggesting. Anyone who does mistake one mod for the other will soon realise they're in error due to the vast differences between the two mods. Besides, the Com in KerbCom stands for any of "Computers", "Computing" or "Company", but certainly not "Communications", so KerbComm is not a possibility. It's also probably not a good idea to change the name of a mod after it has been around for over 4 months, since that could cause even more confusion, especially concerning any search engine queries.

Looking forward to what? The SRB support? If so you will have to wait a while, since I probably won't have any time to work on that properly until December at the earliest, due to RL commitments.

ZRM, thanks for your awnser.

You're welcome.

I wanted to throw in two more quirks I found (one is arguably a bug, the other is a usability issue):

1) KCA seems to assume that all engines on a vehicle are available for use, whether they're active or not. I have a launch vehicle with three main engines, two SRBs (separatrons, not launch boosters), and an upper stage with a smallish monopropellant rocket. KCA reports 6 engines, which is right, but not all of those engines are active at once (and some are not available for control). If I enable KCA and launch using MJ, when I tip into the gravity turn, the main engines throttle back drastically (to the point of losing speed) despite the throttle setting being "full". The only engines that were enabled were the three main engines. RCS was off, the separator SRBs were off, and the upper stage was off, so any throttle computations should have accounted for that.

2) KCA UI behavior is odd when there are multiple avionics units on the same ship. It looks like the avionics package defers so only one unit is controlling the ship, but the UI is only accessible from that controlling unit, which means guessing and clicking around to find the right one if I need to bring the UI up, which is tricky if the controlling unit is underneath fairings. A similar problem comes up if the UI is active when I dock - the active unit defers control to another unit, and the UI disappears. This means I can't change modes on the docked ship until that package becomes the controlling one. I think what should happen is that the GUI should be accessible from any unit, and that control settings that are selected are distributed to all KCA units in the combined vessel (so they're all in a known, selected state at the time they separate). The UI should remain visible if it was visible from any KCA units. I don't know how to decide which KCA unit's settings are applied when two ships dock - but I think all units should have the same setting.

1) Engine availability/activation is not the problem. If an engine exists, KCA knows whether it can use it, and if it can use it, whether giving it a non-zero throttle helps to achieve the overall goals. If KCA keeps engines at a low throttle that means that any higher overall thrust would be impossible since it would cause unwanted rotation. There must be some underlying problem with either your craft's layout, the gimbal range of your engines or the total strength of your reaction wheels. In a mainly stacked narrow vessel the likely culprit is that the vessel does not have enough roll authority, in which case you need to improve that either with more RCS ports, more reaction wheels, engines with better gimbal ranges (the stock engines have woefully small gimbal ranges compared to real life) or the addition of radially-attached perpendicular engines.

Also, since active (firing) SRBs are unsupported, you need to make sure that there is not a point where SRBs are active on the KCA-controlled vessel, as it will assume they can be used like normal engines. Really I should change this so that SRBs are specifically ignored by KCA for the time being so that sepratrons do not cause ill effects when activated on a KCA controlled vessel (note that sepratrons only activated to move spent stages away do not fall into this category). You may want to try your design wihout the SRBs and see if it makes a difference.

2) Thank you very much for this feedback. Multi-craft/Multi-avionics behaviour is the least developed part of the plugin, and the behaviour is not ideal, as you've highlighted. The current implementation was designed purely as a stopgap. Improving this is on my to-do list.

Edit:

Just did some testing with this and seems to work smoothly. Also did some testing with KAS winch and buran manipulator and lifting Kethane tank and that also worked very well! Can have nice lifters now with this mod!

Just have to strut my test craft bit better as it got torn apart with the extra load hanging at the side of the craft :D. Too much wiggling haha

Great, glad to hear it's working well for you. I'm also pleased that it works alright with KAS, as I have yet to test that.

Edited by ZRM

1) Engine availability/activation is not the problem. If an engine exists, KCA knows whether it can use it, and if it can use it, whether giving it a non-zero throttle helps to achieve the overall goals. If KCA keeps engines at a low throttle that means that any higher overall thrust would be impossible since it would cause unwanted rotation. There must be some underlying problem with either your craft's layout, the gimbal range of your engines or the total strength of your reaction wheels. In a mainly stacked narrow vessel the likely culprit is that the vessel does not have enough roll authority, in which case you need to improve that either with more RCS ports, more reaction wheels, engines with better gimbal ranges (the stock engines have woefully small gimbal ranges compared to real life) or the addition of radially-attached perpendicular engines.

I think I understand the problem I'm having. My rocket is arranged similar to the Delta IV Heavy (three fuel tanks in a line, each with an engine), and I normally roll it so that the three engines are parallel to the horizon. This means I am adjusting pitch through the gravity turn, and that's where the engines throttle down. If I don't do the initial roll, the engines don't throttle as much, since the adjustments are primarily yaw. It still behaves worse than a stock launch. If I use a five-engine arrangement, it is markedly better, but makes for a slightly less fuel-efficient launch (less fuel in the main tank when it makes orbit). I suspect that if I could have jettisoned individual outboard tanks when they ran dry, instead of waiting for all of them to run dry, the difference would have been much smaller. So, I think KCA flight control isn't a match for my standard 3-engine lifters, but I'll keep experimenting with it on the multi-engine configurations.

This works great - thank you.

At least, it works very well for rocket engines. I am still struggling to get it to work right with turbine engines. With 4 engines around the centre of mass, it seems to have the engines on one diagonal following the throttle, and the other two running at about 10% - can't imagine why it is doing that. It would be nice to have a "simple" mode, that merely attempts to keep the thrust vector from the main engines through the centre of mass, without attempting to follow the controls or interfere with the RCS. Turbine engines do not respond well to sudden rapid changes in throttle. Keeping the thrust vector through the centre of mass shouldn't require much adjustment, and the craft should then be easy enough to control with RCS.

• 2 weeks later...

[LOG 17:55:04.195] Load(Assembly): KerbComAvionics/KerbComAvionics
[LOG 17:55:04.197] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\KerbComAvionics.dll
[LOG 17:55:04.234] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly 'C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\KerbComAvionics.dll'
[LOG 17:55:04.241] Load(Assembly): KerbComAvionics/lpsolve55
[LOG 17:55:04.242] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\lpsolve55.dll
[ERR 17:55:04.250] Failed to load assembly C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\lpsolve55.dll:
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadOptionalHeaders (System.UInt16& subsystem, System.UInt16& dll_characteristics) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 17:55:04.268] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon component 'LoadTimeEnhancer' from assembly 'KerbComAvionics, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

Tested with a fresh install of .21.1 and a new DL of 0.3.0.6, no other mods. Any ideas why this^ is happening?

[LOG 17:55:04.195] Load(Assembly): KerbComAvionics/KerbComAvionics
[LOG 17:55:04.197] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\KerbComAvionics.dll
[LOG 17:55:04.234] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly 'C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\KerbComAvionics.dll'
[LOG 17:55:04.241] Load(Assembly): KerbComAvionics/lpsolve55
[LOG 17:55:04.242] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\lpsolve55.dll
[ERR 17:55:04.250] Failed to load assembly C:\Users\Larry\Desktop\KSP .21.1\GameData\KerbComAvionics\lpsolve55.dll:
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadOptionalHeaders (System.UInt16& subsystem, System.UInt16& dll_characteristics) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 17:55:04.268] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon component 'LoadTimeEnhancer' from assembly 'KerbComAvionics, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

Tested with a fresh install of .21.1 and a new DL of 0.3.0.6, no other mods. Any ideas why this^ is happening?

As has been previously mentioned, this is expected normal behaviour. lpsolve55.dll is a native library. KSP doesn't know this and tries to load it as a .NET DLL and fails. My code then loads it properly later on. You can safely ignore that error message.

As has been previously mentioned, this is expected normal behaviour. lpsolve55.dll is a native library. KSP doesn't know this and tries to load it as a .NET DLL and fails. My code then loads it properly later on. You can safely ignore that error message.

The issue is that the plugin doesn't seem to work for me, my ships still flip, with no noticeable change in thrust or gimbal-ing from the engines. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

This mod appears to conflict with RCS build aid, The mod Dev for RCS Build aid said "Can't do much about it since Kerbcom replaces stock RCS modules when the game is loaded. Maybe you can poke ZRM about this? if Kerbcom replaced them only when the flight starts then there would be no conflict, I had the impression his plugin already did that so maybe is a bug in Kerbcom."

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice to have these two mods be compatible, ATM I'm switching and swapping them for whichever i need at the moment, which is a bit of a pain as you might imagine.

It has some problems on the proton in soviet pack.I choose the combined mode and the first stage engine doesn't work right.it reduce the throttle and then increase the throttle,again and again,my rocket can't work well.Could you tell me why it happens?:blush:

It's hard to tell without at least one screenshot showing the rocket in flight as well as the KCA settings window open.

The issue is that the plugin doesn't seem to work for me, my ships still flip, with no noticeable change in thrust or gimbal-ing from the engines. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Does the KCA settings window show up? If not, did you install the mod correctly by following the README file?

This mod appears to conflict with RCS build aid, The mod Dev for RCS Build aid said "Can't do much about it since Kerbcom replaces stock RCS modules when the game is loaded. Maybe you can poke ZRM about this? if Kerbcom replaced them only when the flight starts then there would be no conflict, I had the impression his plugin already did that so maybe is a bug in Kerbcom."

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice to have these two mods be compatible, ATM I'm switching and swapping them for whichever i need at the moment, which is a bit of a pain as you might imagine.

KCA used to only replace RCS modules when you switch to a flight, but that proved too problematic in the end since KSP does not like having modules added/removed (especially removed) dynamically. The stock ModuleRCS refused to die quietly when removed, causing all sorts of glitches, and quite often it would somehow persist anyway. Another problem with that approach is that the new RCS module would not be able to save any of its state, so an RCS block would never remember whether it was disabled/enabled the last time it was loaded. So now my plugin bypasses these issues by replacing ModuleRCS in all configs in memory as they are loaded during the KSP loading screen. This has proved much more reliable, but as you have found it can cause incompatibility with other mods that look for ModuleRCS on parts.

As more mods do more improvements to core functionality in the game, more incompatibilities are going to arise. The ideal solution in this case would be for me to move my replacement RCS module code to another DLL, then have both KCA and RCS build aid reference that DLL. This would not change the functionality of RCS build aid in any way, and both mods would work at the same time. They would then both include the RCS DLL in their downloads. Unfortunately I do not have much time to spend on this project right now, but it's something I'll consider when I have the time.

Yes, the window pops up, and I know some features, such as the engine thrust limiting, work, but the balancing simply doesn't happen.

Have you put it in "Combined control" mode? What other mods do you have installed? What engine types are you using? Jet engines have considerable throttle lag that make them not very easy to balance well.

Have you put it in "Combined control" mode? What other mods do you have installed? What engine types are you using? Jet engines have considerable throttle lag that make them not very easy to balance well.

Oops, Sorry, please excuse my idiocy, I forgot to put it in the combined control mode. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.