[0.90] LazTek SpaceX Launch, Exploration, Colonial Transporter & Historic mods (1/25/14)

LazarusLuan

They're all different. Your choice.

This mod is the reusable Falcon 9v1.1 and Falcon Heavy, the KerbX is the unmanned Dragon used for the CRS + Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 launchers. The Dragon Rider mod is the manned version of the Dragon capsule. They're all completely different and in some cases, not compatible with each other.

Looks like I'll have to use them all! :P

These are great. I have a pretty high-performance PC with a 2GB GeForce 560Ti graphics card so the textures are not a big issue for me.

You do have a bug in the distribution though, there is no Falcon Expanded Fairing (at least in the 'Small' kit) or maybe the part itself is bugged because I see it in the Parts folder. This means the expanded fairing for non-Dragon payloads is missing but also the .craft files for the non-bay versions of the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy need it to load so without hacking the .craft file you can't open them. This is kind of important t for getting the stack right. If anyone uses Sub-Assembly Loader I have .craft sub-assemblies for the Falcon 9 1.1 and Falcon Heavy boosters that work okay without the fairings.

Keep up the good work, I like these a lot. Combined with a few parts from KerbX and cBBp (resacled appropriately) the whole SpaceX thing is rockin and rollin :D

Oh, and please upgrade this for 0.20. I have kludged it to work but it's not pretty :)

Edited by MDBenson

I'm getting the .20 update with the lower-rez textures option ready for upload this week, so hang in there!

Awesome! Thanks for your hard work, these are currently my launch vehicle of choice. :)

I'm getting the .20 update with the lower-rez textures option ready for upload this week, so hang in there!

Hey M8... any update on your mod? Miss these parts... And TY for all of your time and hard work.

I'm building a space station right now in KSP on orbit using ISS and Fusty parts and launching using these Falcon 9 launcher parts. I am using all the Dragon parts *except* the capsule from KerbX's set and the cBBp's Dragon Rider crew capsule (rescaled) as my Crew capsule/escape boat. It's all working very well. :)

If anything I think the rocket might be a little out of balance - I've delivered 20 tonne trusses with extra fuel and RCS on the second stage to a 192km orbit without a problem so the first stage can lift huge weight, possibly too much given the Falcon 9 currently can only truck 10.5 tonnes (I expect 1.1 will be slightly more powerful), and the second stage is very slow at circularising orbits, which makes launch to rendezvous a little sketchy! Still that's only fine tuning. No major bones. Just need to reduce the texture size a bit (I know that's a WIP) and repcakage for 0.20.2 and we're golden. Oh, also, would you consider switching the guidance over to MechJeb 2.0 or *at least* offer a set of MechJeb 2.0 parts to use in place of 1.9.8? I hate having 2 versions of MechJeb on my screen at once! :)

I'm building a space station right now in KSP on orbit using ISS and Fusty parts and launching using these Falcon 9 launcher parts. I am using all the Dragon parts *except* the capsule from KerbX's set and the cBBp's Dragon Rider crew capsule (rescaled) as my Crew capsule/escape boat. It's all working very well. :)

If anything I think the rocket might be a little out of balance - I've delivered 20 tonne trusses with extra fuel and RCS on the second stage to a 192km orbit without a problem so the first stage can lift huge weight, possibly too much given the Falcon 9 currently can only truck 10.5 tonnes (I expect 1.1 will be slightly more powerful), and the second stage is very slow at circularising orbits, which makes launch to rendezvous a little sketchy! Still that's only fine tuning. No major bones. Just need to reduce the texture size a bit (I know that's a WIP) and repcakage for 0.20.2 and we're golden. Oh, also, would you consider switching the guidance over to MechJeb 2.0 or *at least* offer a set of MechJeb 2.0 parts to use in place of 1.9.8? I hate having 2 versions of MechJeb on my screen at once! :)

I'm also not a fan of the old mechjeb on this thing. When using it to land the first stage it always fails to burn correctly and the thing flips upside down with only 3000m to go and fails to right itself in time. I would Imagine that MJ2 would avoid this but I haven't tried it yet TBH.

Not sure what happened with the link - I just copied and pasted it from the first page of this thread, but the link didn't come over correctly. It's fixed and I'm working on getting MechJeb 2 to actually self-land the booster and second stages before releasing the new updates.

Not sure what happened with the link - I just copied and pasted it from the first page of this thread, but the link didn't come over correctly. It's fixed and I'm working on getting MechJeb 2 to actually self-land the booster and second stages before releasing the new updates.

Awesome. That is well worth doing, I often don't have time to switch back to the stages to land them and with a Falcon Heavy... well it's almost impossible unless you can flick between 4 craft at once ;):P

Edited by MDBenson

I've been using the previous version with MechJeb 2 and it has been working fine, landings included. I had to remove all the fairing parts, rebalance the upperstage, hack the craft file to get the upperstage legs to fit properly, and hack the texture files to get it load though, so I can't wait for the low-rez update.

screenshot25p.png

screenshot24ty.png

screenshot29v.png

screenshot33g.png

screenshot35e.png

Edited by Nibb31

LazarusLuan: I don't know if you can look into this perhaps as a second phase to the automation, or maybe I can help? It's something I have found a wee problem with the Reusable Falcon stages. Because you need LiquidFuel and Oxidizer to land the Falcon stages, I often don't bother landing the first stage because the auto-staging runs it out of fuel, is there any way an automated ascent program could be built that stages it before it runs out?

LazarusLuan: I don't know if you can look into this perhaps as a second phase to the automation, or maybe I can help? It's something I have found a wee problem with the Reusable Falcon stages. Because you need LiquidFuel and Oxidizer to land the Falcon stages, I often don't bother landing the first stage because the auto-staging runs it out of fuel, is there any way an automated ascent program could be built that stages it before it runs out?
You're asking for a lot when you can just use action groups to shut down the engine and stage prematurely or turn off autostage alltogether...

You're asking for a lot when you can just use action groups to shut down the engine and stage prematurely or turn off autostage alltogether...

I know I can do that. I do when I need to. I'm not asking for it, I'm asking if it's feasible and if I can help. Ultimately, a software programmer at SpaceX already has this worked out and it'll be implemented on their real rockets eeventually. Too many people here are anti-automation when in reality all modern rockets are automated. Automation is not a cheat, it's a way to use computer assistance to get more done and not spend time fluttering over basic crap the space industry got over in the 1960s. If I have to write the automation myself then so be it, I'm not going to sit here and whine until someone impliments it. All I need to know is *how* to impliment it and I can try to do it.

At the end of the day automated systems are optional. You might not want everything like that but some of us do.

I know I can do that. I do when I need to. I'm not asking for it, I'm asking if it's feasible and if I can help. Ultimately, a software programmer at SpaceX already has this worked out and it'll be implemented on their real rockets eeventually. Too many people here are anti-automation when in reality all modern rockets are automated. Automation is not a cheat, it's a way to use computer assistance to get more done and not spend time fluttering over basic crap the space industry got over in the 1960s. If I have to write the automation myself then so be it, I'm not going to sit here and whine until someone impliments it. All I need to know is *how* to impliment it and I can try to do it.

At the end of the day automated systems are optional. You might not want everything like that but some of us do.

I have nothing against automation, I just think it's silly that you're asking for an extraordinary amount of work to such a simple task that can be completed with a very slight workaround. Clicking "1" for an action group isn't exactly an insane requirement.

If you want to find out how to write your own Mechjeb clone with specifications more to your taste, I'd suggest the thread for that plugin or PM the creator(s)

I have nothing against automation, I just think it's silly that you're asking for an extraordinary amount of work to such a simple task that can be completed with a very slight workaround. Clicking "1" for an action group isn't exactly an insane requirement.

If you want to find out how to write your own Mechjeb clone with specifications more to your taste, I'd suggest the thread for that plugin or PM the creator(s)

Having to press 1 isnt a problem. Having to *remember* is a problem. That's why I am seatching for a solution.

FIrst off I am pretty sure MechJeb is fine as it is or at least on the development path it's on. Secondly, I'm pretty sure it's got a powerful scripting backend called 'autom8' that is either capable of doing it or could be capable with some additional parameter monitoring. This might require working with several people. Great. Team efforts are awesome and make stuff happen.

I don't consider it insane. I consider it a challenge. I'm willing to invest time in it, not just sit and wait for it to happen. I don't mind waiting patiently for people to do stuff I can't (3D modelling and texturing, for example) but if I can fit a niche and do some work on this stuff myself I will.

People thought the Wright brothers were insane. Some people still think Elon Musk is insane. Fact is no goal is impossible, it just requires time and knowledge. That's what all mod writers have to produce this excellent work.

I just downloaded them and I can't believe the files are over 1GB, KSP itself can only handle 3.5 GB and this pack alone takes up already 30%+ of the resources.

Well guess I'll stick to KerbX for the meantime.. I really wanted the reusable versions

I just downloaded them and I can't believe the files are over 1GB, KSP itself can only handle 3.5 GB and this pack alone takes up already 30%+ of the resources.

Well guess I'll stick to KerbX for the meantime.. I really wanted the reusable versions

I had the same issue in .19

So I made a FH using kerbX and it works fine

I used the radial decup from this pack to make it and 2 .cfg edits to make the tanks radially attachable.