What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Worked on Epica Base Stage 3. Didn't quite finish it completely, need to move two more habitat modules. Installed four of them.

Tomorrow will install the remaining two and it seems that my excessive amount of energy storage was not excessive enough so I added some more pipes to attach three more battery banks. That should do it.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35217691593019406/4C6AD85DF2ED0F29FC6D2A09CCAC88F5E604C331/

What mods are you running. I never mod games but KSP mods look so good.

I'm interested in one that focuses on basic kerbal needs like waste management and fresh water, etc. Bases established on other worlds really appeals to me.

Edited by Mister Kerman

About this long. Newbies go on a mod queue, it helps catch a good portion of spammers.

Thanks for the reply. I did'nt encountered this approving System for new Members before in any Forum, thats why i wondered were my Thread was gone, because i wrote a little bit of Text and did'nt wanted to write it again ;) But i think its a good system. Feel free to take a look and leave your opinion:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85528-Huge-Blue-Horizon-Theories-about-the-7th-Planet

But OT: Testing of several mods in my mod-testing-install to make a condensed List what i want in my new 0.24 Install. Everything is slowly coming together nice i think. I'm kind of a Stock+ player so no big part mods like B9 but some handy tools and improvements. If interested i can share my WIP List.

Seeing as I was away for the last few days of the last Kerbin Cup challenge, (A trip to "The Dish" a.k.a, Parkes Radio Telescope) I decided to take my team's Arkingthaad for a spin.

PbncITy.png

Arkingthaad obscured incase there are any identifying markings, or something.

Worked on Epica Base Stage 3.

That is a great name for a base.

And then I decided the Kerbin Cup footballs weren't big or explodey enough:

http://imgur.com/a/wXUpV

That is beautiful.

Edited by Tw1

What mods are you running. I never mod games but KSP mods look so good.

I'm interested in one that focuses on basic kerbal needs like waste management and fresh water, etc. Bases established on other worlds really appeals to me.

Epica Base is entirely stock. To be honest it really doesn't actually "do" anything or serve any kind of in game purpose besides feeding my ego and making me feel awesome for managing to do it.

If you want to know how I learned to do it read: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48876-The-art-of-modular-base-building

No part mods. I run EnhancedVisuals, SelectRoot, Protractor and that tool that helps with RCS placement (I don't remember what it is called.). I also have the mod that adds TAC explosives so that I can self destruct probes and things once they serve their purpose so that I can reduce the amount of debris without having to delete it manually.

I don't usually mod games either, it typically takes some convincing to get me to install user made mods. I don't like things that drastically alter the balance of a game or user made models, textures or sound effects that are inferior to the developers. My general rule is that I usually only add mods to a game that add a feature that I feel should have been in the original game anyway.

That being said I am sure that there are fantastic mods out there for KSP and at some point I may look into them once I get tired of playing with stock sandbox toys.

Went exploring on the mun, found some science, and now on my 8th orbit of Kerbin using aerobraking to slow down as I have exactly 55m/s of delta v left :)

*edited* Now on orbit #15

*2nd/final edit*

Orbit #30 up to 7 mins of aerobraking in a 35 min orbit

Orbit #31 never got back out of the atmosphere this time

Orbit #32 Finally saw the plasma trails and set back down on kerbin.

Impromptu test of minimal delta-v return after burning way too much going to 4 separate places on the Mun...Successful :)

Edited by Ruthgar

A quick Mun visit, paying attention to cost. Tried to keep the cost down by making the rocket rather cheap. First I figured out the cheapest tanks by fuel volume: the X200-32, then the FL-T100 (can't remember if I checked the Kerbodyne ones... According to the wiki, they are all 2600, regardless of size, which is still more costly by fuel volume than the X200-32, but cheaper than the FL-T100). The LFB is a cheap launch rocket: if you subtract the fuel cost (as two X200-32 tanks), you end up with an engine for 700, which is cheaper than the LV-909.

Also, either the wiki is wrong, or my game has a bad price assignment on the lander can. Just to check, is it over 1000? Wiki says "no", but I think my game says "actually over 3000", so I went with the command pod Mk1, which is cheapest. The Kerbodyne SRBs are also crazy good value.

TLYlxF.png

Here's the first version lifting off - I later trimmed it down, removing those batteries and separatrons, having two solar panels instead of three, one 7-linear RCS port instead of three, and three FL-T100 on the crasher stage instead of four. Also got rid of several of the struts.

The LFB/X200-32 lifter core also provided the burn to get an encounter, though not enough remained to get the Mun orbit. I also burned from there directly to landing, cutting the crasher stage loose very near the ground with over a full FL-T100 left. That's why the version after had one cut out - and with the mass reductions, it still had over a full FL-T100 in it when cut free.

zGAY8K.png

It landed fine, and the return was also fine, though I needed to use almost half of the monopropellant to bring the Kerbin periapse into atmosphere. Then, after some optimisation, I launched the second version. This one cost a total of 21882, according to the notes I took down.

L8DCdF.png

LK8TlK.png

With the second version, I came straight down to Mun, with a trajectory intersecting the surface from LKO out. I also started the crasher stage after a bit of a timewarp.

wlpimf.png

Cidpk2.png

And launched directly back, too. Didn't end up needing the monopropellant thruster, or the ability to decouple the capsule from the rest, but I think I'll keep it there anyway as a safety margin.

I learned about Padishar's Part Angle Display plugin, which allows you to rotate parts in any increment of your choice, with wonderful results.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81390-0-23-5-Part-Angle-Display-View-and-set-accurate-angles-for-parts-in-editor

Here's my Saturn V replica fairing:

Before

UMXpqxZ.png

After

iyfMpQv.png

(Note: Yes, I am OCD enough to need to rotate parts in .25 degree increments)

Edited by GusTurbo

I learned about Padishar's Part Angle Display plugin, which allows you to rotate parts in any increment of your choice, with wonderful results.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81390-0-23-5-Part-Angle-Display-View-and-set-accurate-angles-for-parts-in-editor

Here's my Saturn V replica fairing:

Before

http://i.imgur.com/UMXpqxZ.png

After

http://i.imgur.com/iyfMpQv.png

(Note: Yes, I am OCD enough to need to rotate parts in .25 degree increments)

Nahhh, your not OCD just because you need to rotate parts in .25 degree increments. Trust me, I've worked in a career field for the last 2 decades where certain angles/turns get measured/executed to the .001 degree and smaller increments (can only remember a few settings where we had to have it within a +/- of .002)

Epica Base - Stage 3b

Got all the habitat modules installed and installed 3 more batteries. I have enough power on the Mun to run a small country...

Next stage is going to be labs and communications. I am not sure if I am going to be able to complete the project, I am starting to get some lag and it is tough to move the rover around.

628D8F151B0E9946B7AB2DBF0A1AA26D10DB3659

More budget cuts. Brought the price of a disposable Mun landing rocket (that's also capable of Minmus instead, but can probably stand to lose another tank for that one) down to 18662. How? I cut another FL-T100 away, removed the monopropellant, RCS thruster and the ability to decouple the capsule, and launched with two boosters rather than three. Of course, it's not exactly unlikely that the prices are going to change somewhat with the next version, so this might not amount to much...

Also, I checked the price my game assigned to the lander can Mk1: 2700, which is more expensive than the Mk2 can. Certainly more than the 600 that the wiki claims.

5o6EQb.png

So, here's the rocket as it is on the pad, before a dusk launch to Mun. I'd already tested it on a Minmus mission, footage of which will appear below.

GlsSaC.png

Here it is after changing inclination for Minmus. I'd built a more substantial rocket with more fuel to do Minmus, and then remembered that Minmus return missions take less dV than Mun ones, which is why I tried the 18662.

YmrroT.png

Not all of the transfer burn could be completed with the remaining fuel in the lift core, but the lower gravity at the destination meant that the crasher stage could also be used to finish transfer.

1coa4m.png

K7UHjr.png

I arrived, orbited a couple of times, and then landed on the flats. Didn't check which flats. The crasher stage had 33.7 liquid fuel remaining when it was dropped, and bounced a little on the ground. Return was straightforward, and the lander had 26.8 liquid fuel left. Because of this, I believe that it is possible to remove yet another tank from the crasher stage - bringing it down to a single FL-T100 - when going to Minmus.

btl3l0.png

13dUjR.png

The Mun mission was rather straightforward, too. Got orbit with the final drops in the lift core, lowered it with the crasher stage and continued down. I only dropped the crasher stage once very near the surface - it had 21.9 liquid fuel left.

LI0u0e.png

j3dZ6T.png

I was pretty much in the right location, so I decided to just burn my escape from the surface and not bother getting into orbit. This left me parachuting safely back with 11.3 liquid fuel left in the tank, so barring increased efficiency of trajectory, I don't think there's any way to remove another tank for Mun missions. I could change out for other tanks, but the FL-T100's value for money was one of the main reasons I was using it.

Edit: I'm thinking of reducing cost and mass further by replacing the LV-909 and small decoupler with a 48-7S and tiny decoupler. That's a better cost reduction than removing another tank, as things stand. The mass reduction may offset the ISP difference, too. Also, might then see if the mass reduction of removing another tank offsets the dV loss of the removed fuel enough to run the Mun mission anyway - and experiment somewhat with making a more efficient descent if required.

All this, of course, is just filling time until I decide I really need to timewarp the last bit of the FourJade mission in order to finish it before 0.24 release. And training myself to mind expenditure, that too.

Edited by Concentric

Finished moving my Class E asteroid. De-orbited the capture equipment and attached the first base component onto it. New pieces need to be better planned.

xqUWnqa.jpg

jzQMflK.jpg

1RhPX2E.jpg

feLTUPu.jpg

pYxA9S4.jpg

Z1GiUCg.jpg

kjNl2zZ.jpg

Tested out an Ion glider for Eve and launched Ed Kerman for an extended stay there. Ed's ERTOV (Eve Return To Orbit Vehicle) also doubles as his ETIALV(Eve Transfer Intercept And Landing Vehicle) so more fuel is needed..... Hey! Minmus has fuel! Also a Eve Fuel Transfer Ship now needs to be designed.... Don't forget the snacks!

DLRoez1.jpg

gPpfcmA.jpg

6xVbeSG.jpg

vA8wrQO.jpg

After five days out of state, I finally returned home and took the opportunity to try my failure-prone hands at yet another airplane. After reading quite a few tutorials and beginner's guides I did manage to make one that flew! Manageably well even! SSgt Bill was originally intended to fly it, but after a quick redesign after getting the first one on the runway, CMSgt Jebediah managed to take SSgt Bill's spot through underhanded trickery. It has been determined that the incident will be dropped due to his superb (i.e. managed to keep it in the air ten minutes even if it looked like a wounded duck) flying of the experimental craft. SSgt Bill was eventually found and freed from the bonds keeping him in the janitor's closet.

Next up is mastering the art of landing. CMSgt Jeb had been forced to utilize the emergency evac and parachute when his attempt to land resulted in a violent loss of control. Perhaps because he was trying to land on an undeveloped island with no landing infrastructure. Perhaps because the pilot is opposed to turning off rockets or jets of any kind. An investigstion into the matter is set to commence shortly.

Once freed, SSgt Bill took it upon himself to take the aircraft out for a spin. He quickly noticed an eclipse was happening at that very moment.

This was a shot of the aircraft still in the hangar.

9CFF3AFA09DA3DA96D11ECC1BABF8962853DC15B

This was of the eclipse. It is in no way an achievement that I can claim credit for, but it is always nice seeing the eclipse.

491BC91BD7134EC486AE3276DF481F777A0E6C17

Another plus side, SSgt Bill was able to land the aircraft (mostly) intact. He only took off and made a quick return to the airfield when his courage ran out.

BF819919A1B486148AFB969DC67BC2799113538C

Also, I fully expect to need to to redo these pictures. I haven't posted images on forums in six months. I think I might be forgetting something.

EDIT: I was right, I had forgotten something on the pictures. Oh well, I fixed it for you.

Edited by Gods315Pawn

preparations for my grand tour without the need to dock at anytime are going well.

remotecontrol sucessfully landed my "gilly-eve-gilly shuttle" at gilly

GGo6SgN.png

& the "pol-tylo-pol shuttle" at pol

mCAuzhE.jpg

Edited by Guz