What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Completed function tests for my Mercutio (Mercury) LES test flight using the Little Bobby) (Little Joe).  That team is at work on the Too Hot launcher (Red Stone).

Also completed my first flight and re-entry of the Veterok (Vostok).  Set Periapsis at 30km for re-entry and it got tense... Ablator burned down to 0.41 from 200 and the parachute had been glowing red.  Landing worked without a hitch through and for my current S.A.V.E. valentina has now made the first orbit and space EVA.

I have landed Stimpy... in a most spectacular fashion:

MeDQVHX.jpg

Yup, that's how he stands 17km off from KSC. I wanted to take the heroic kerbals who brought him home to pose under it for a press photo, but somehow standing like this comes with such physics calculations that FPS in it's vicinity is down to 0.1, so I gave it up. Landing process below.

1 hour ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I think Jeb got his mum to pack the sandwiches.  That's 7 years food, 10 years water, and 15 years oxygen

But won't the food be worthless when the fridge stops working after 7 days (Electricity) :sticktongue:

4 minutes ago, Val said:

But won't the food be worthless when the fridge stops working after 7 days (Electricity) :sticktongue:

They towed them up behind a nuke powered tug so the radiation should have killed any germs and they'll last for ages :D

Plus there's a couple of gigantors under the crane and some more on the drilling rig that's still in orbit

11 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

They towed them up behind a nuke powered tug so the radiation should have killed any germs and they'll last for ages :D

Plus there's a couple of gigantors under the crane and some more on the drilling rig that's still in orbit

And glow beautifully which is useful when the lights no longer work

I noticed that the game had eaten my LKO Crew launcher, so I made a new one & took a crew to my LKO space station.  Everything went smoothly including the pitch-black can't really see anything nighttime docking.  Then I realized that the design team had forgotten to include parachutes on the capsule.  DOH!

Did some Mun testing for my future DMSP missions.

Welcome to Mun Test Site!

3cPj6Jt.png

It was constructed over two Kerballed Mun Landings (Jeb, Bob, followed by Val, Bill).

M0o1Bd8.png

If this was in Science or Carrer mode, this place could probably get you a few hundred Science points.

b35TfBu.png

Also, a great view of Kerbin! Only 92,911,200 Funds! Buy your ticket today!

Anyway after Bill constructed the base he and Val lifted off to the Mun 3 Command Capsule in orbit.

d1YfkVr.png

They made it home safely.

Sent Bob on a mission to Minmus. Had a contract for a fly-by for 110,000 credits, but turned it into a full fledged landing expedition. Visited 6 biomes + high altitude and low orbit science. Returned with 3311 science points and enough credits to upgrade my launch pad/contract center to the max while still turning a profit. 

10 hours ago, Hotaru said:

QhLPnMO.jpg?1

What mod gave you those stylish Kerbals?!

-Jn-

6 hours ago, Evanitis said:

I have landed Stimpy... in a most spectacular fashion:

MeDQVHX.jpg

Yup, that's how he stands 17km off from KSC. I wanted to take the heroic kerbals who brought him home to pose under it for a press photo, but somehow standing like this comes with such physics calculations that FPS in it's vicinity is down to 0.1, so I gave it up. Landing process below.

You win.

*salute*

-Jn-

...Meanwhile:

My astronauts have arrived at Duna. Lealian and Lindra are reveling in the sight of the famous red planet. While Danvey is focusing on his job and is contorting himself and Ikaros_G to maneuver into a nice approach to a counterclockwise orbit.

screenshot3051j.jpg

He did a splendid job of course. Some time later and much, much closer, it's time to brake into a close orbit.

screenshot3065j.jpg

I tried to start a sandbox save, but I just couldn't. I can't bring myself to do interplanetary or even Mun missions in sandbox. It doesn't feel right without building orbital ships and such, but then I feel like I'm wasting time. I prefer career, because it sets goals and I feel like I'm advancing and working my way up to something. Does anybody else feel that way?

I actually did this a few days ago but have only just got round to posting :)

For a recent reddit challenge, I pushed the boat out and went to Tylo and back using one a single fuel tank for the entire mission without any mining or refueling! This mission involved 4 major gravity assists and took a HUGE amount of planning to get right. For those that don't know, Tylo is the hardest place to get to and return from in the game, since it is the size of Kerbin with 80% the gravity and no atmosphere (unlike Laythe) which is why I chose it for my challenge!

This was the reddit challenge that I entered, keep in mind that 'hard mode' was to land on Eve. https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/42foxh/weekly_challenge_week_114_orange_efficiency_ii/

I've spent extra time with this video getting nice camera angles and picking good music to use to make the video more interesting to watch so please check it out! Enjoy! :)

12 minutes ago, hazard-ish said:

I actually did this a few days ago but have only just got round to posting :)

For a recent reddit challenge, I pushed the boat out and went to Tylo and back using one a single fuel tank for the entire mission without any mining or refueling! This mission involved 4 major gravity assists and took a HUGE amount of planning to get right. For those that don't know, Tylo is the hardest place to get to and return from in the game, since it is the size of Kerbin with 80% the gravity and no atmosphere (unlike Laythe) which is why I chose it for my challenge!

This was the reddit challenge that I entered, keep in mind that 'hard mode' was to land on Eve. https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/42foxh/weekly_challenge_week_114_orange_efficiency_ii/

I've spent extra time with this video getting nice camera angles and picking good music to use to make the video more interesting to watch so please check it out! Enjoy! :)

That was amazing! I'm jealous of your talents :D I wish I could upvote this multiple times

4 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

What mod gave you those stylish Kerbals?!

Texture Replacer. The forum thread OP has links to a variety of Kerbal texture packs, including the two in the picture (Diverse Kerbal Heads for the guy and my female Kerbal pack for the girl). 

PS. And Cetera's Suits for the suits. 

Edited by Hotaru

Poor Danvey's landing on Duna was quite scary. He did rather good though. Honoring the principle of rather braking too much than too little. There will always be a rescue mission if they run out of fuel. So that option is much preferable to fatal crashes.

We aimed for a deep canyon with - in places - steep walls. Due to planet rotation they drifted a bit too close for comfort to the left wall. But if they could get far enough, the slope wouldn't be too steep to land on. This meant the most had to be squeezed out of the horizontal movement, which delayed conversion and made the altitude situation uncomfortable. It wasn't the only thing that made the landing scary. Mission Control didn't quite recognize Duna's atmosphere. It hardly contributed to braking at all. Very thin. Danvey was good on being early and resolute on the burning.

screenshot3099j.jpg

screenshot3103j.jpg

That is close to Mach 1, despite the drag-chutes, at 30 degrees angle against the ground, and already below the altitude of the canyon wall. That's how scary this landing was. Danvey wisely relighted the rocket engine for another long burn, the moment after this picture was taken.

screenshot3107j.jpg

screenshot3109j.jpg

As it turned out, I think they have enough fuel to get back into orbit again. There will be no need for any rescue operation. But it's nightfall on Duna, so we leave our astronauts to rest and sleep. Tomorrow, there will be a drive in a rover.

Edited by Vermil

12 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Reminds me of how Mark Watney freeze-dried the potatoes he had grown by... setting them down in an open container outside.  

A Kerbal solution if ever I read one...