What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It's my ancient safe and let's say that my space agency got decent funding through some messing about in the sfs file :-D

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84370-Apollo-14-%28Pic-Heavy%28like-very%29%29 <-link to the original Mun mission.

I don't know yet what to do with it, I was surprised i made it work..

I built a transfer stage to get a boat to Laythe. Quickly.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5553/14890328387_72847ec142_o.png

1500 tons of ship for a 65 ton payload, delivering in excess of 40 - yes, forty - km/s of delta-V with a TWR around 0.5.

Or it would deliver that if the fuel flow wasn't going wrong for some reason. *sigh*

Good gods, man o.O; KSP physics probably made the fuel flow incorrectly purely out of spite.

today i built my first moon base and intended to set up all the KAS pylons and pipes but i can't seem to get the pylons and pipe couplers out of the storage containers. whether it's a bug or i'm doing something wrong, i don't know. but the moon base is coming along nicely otherwise!! might post pictures when it's done.

First an attempt to get some Munar landing action going on, but a mod caused the lift direction to be rotated 90 degrees back so it kept tipping forward, marked that off as a failure and moved on to spaceplanes.

The spaceplane went swimmingly...until I somehow didn't get slowed down by Deadly Reentry and smacked into a wall of air at 2.3km/s, which as you can see, just shredded the plane.

I almost had a success in that the cabin had SAS so I used the aerodynamic profile to slow myself and almost skimmed into the water at 50m/s, which is a survivable speed. Alas, I thought of it too late and was just a bit over.

3vJzzaf.png

I built this monstrosity with KSPI:

LXwnvxR.png

aVSqlpy.png

It's got 3 D-T Vista engines and probably enough fuel to do several Eeloo round trips. It's also powered primarily by an AIM microfusion reactor, so it will certainly last long enough to do that.

Even better, it now has some new landers with legs that point the right direction and actual power generation. I'm not 100% sure they'll be able to take off again after landing on Eeloo (which happens to be the goal) but they theoretically should.

Unfortunately, it has no warp drive because the AIM reactor doesn't like those very much. The trip without it will be more fuel efficient but, of course, much, much longer. Hope they packed extra snacks!

I've been driving around different spaceplanes for the SSTO challenge. It's interesting to see other builders takes on problems and different ideas on how to pin an SSTO together. Froburry and Richdorf were my two suckers, errr volunteers leading the testing.

All pilots pics seem to show a general unease at piloting unfamiliar ships.

SYscE1z.jpg

G4Y4juW.jpg

eF7jVif.jpg

fsF3h5M.jpg

YRGnKzQ.jpg

Afterwards I went joyriding in my Cadzilla SSTO. I thought of entering it, but I'm not sure a lot of people have mixed firespitter and spaceplane plus mods from the pics I have seen. So I was unsure if it would get tested. Oh well. Anyway, if you want any of the SSTO's we have them available for download. I have extra ones in my dropbox link on the ssto challenge page including Cadzilla.

0riopY7.png

uIRfX32.jpg

Edited by sumrex

Jeb died today while trying to land my new tanker spaceplane after topping up an orbital fuel depot. With the fuel delivery tank empty, the COM shifted slightly behind the COL, resulting in an uncontrollable craft after it re-entered the atmosphere.

I'm still in mourning. :-(

Stinkin' spaceplanes...

I managed to have a docking accident tonight. Made a small science station around the Mun (MPL, and some extra fuel---getting that there was a bit of a problem after a staging problem lost part of a tank of fuel). Did a landing on Mun, collected a bunch of science. Went to station to process said science… and managed to bump the station with the outrigger pods on the pander that are (arm, WERE) held on with separators. That seemed to set those off, given the velocity the fuel/science Jr pods went zinging off. With my tiny fuel reserve I went to LKO where I have a station, used the last of my fuel getting within 200m, and docked using the stations RCS. Not bad.

Continuing with my 0.24.2 game while I wait for the requisite motivation to crack on with the Sunrise Manifest. Today Lemwell got pinged at the Mun with a mission to return with as much science as possible. He got sidetracked with trying to land in a flat spot nearest to the edge of a canyon as possible and burned off most of his fuel. Still science was done and it wasn't a wasted trip. I'm also really enjoying designing these economical little landers in pure stock.

3Cn9aDW.png

Back at KSC work was going well on a prototype Gilly lander powered by RCS. Unfortunately Hanlorf made a great decision to EVA while the lander was powered up, and as soon as he stepped off the ladder the thing slowly rose into the air leaving a rather dejected Hanlorf a little powerless to rectify the situation. the only positive to come from the unhappy incident is the realisation that the lander is way overpowered, which means more weight can be added. That's a good thing as KSC is not really sure of the biome situation around little Gilly.

oFmxe9F.png

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
serious grammar derp

I designed my most ambitious craft, lovingly named the "Madness of Caligula"! If I can get it into orbit/complete a mission with it, I will post a mission report :)

Others have certainly done bigger, but this is my personal largest craft ever.

....Back at KSC work was going well on a prototype Gilly lander powered by RCS. Unfortunately Hanlorf made a great decision to EVA while the lander was powered up, and as soon as he stepped off the ladder the thing slowly rose into the air leaving a rather dejected Hanlorf a little powerless to rectify the situation. the only positive to come from the unhappy incident is the realisation that the lander is way overpowered, which means more weight can be added. That's a good thing as KSC is not really sure of the biome situation around little Gilly.

http://i.imgur.com/oFmxe9F.png

SM

That RCS lander is a compact beauty...

The design in the first picture was created over at least 5 minutes in a board director's brainstorming session. The practical application of the design has a few...issues with retaining engines.

The second design was a Hypersonic S2 model, which flew perfectly, and reached 1.3km/s by orbit. As you may notice, it has a long standing battle with the kraken, and lost some wings on re-entry, along with gently touching the ground at 83 m/s (the wheels are rated for 110) and then violently shredding itself apart and putting the commander into +15G situations.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/hQzn5/embed"></iframe>

That RCS lander is a compact beauty...

Thanks very much Frank_G. I realised the lander was so overpowered it would probably be perfect as an ascent stage on the mun, so in the words of the immortal Jean-Luc Picard I made it so, and did it all Apollo style! I believe that's my first all stock Apollo style too so I should probably mission report it and post it to a challenge thread if there's a current one going!

Here's the lander. It's not overly efficient weight-wise, but it can take high impact landings and there's plenty of torque / RCS for maneuvering around. It's an all round good little expedition lander for extended stays on the Mun's surface for a crew of 2.

1TNg3fa.png

And here's the MAV a split second after liftoff. Dinklestein did not er on the side of caution when he picked the TR-XL Stack Separator, designed for slicing the largest rockets in twain. In fact the little square you can see in the picture is an Illuminator Mk2 quietly achieving sub orbital velocities.

TJz3Mwi.png

Timberwolffe - classic. I have spent entire days mapping out KSP missions when I should be working!

I'm considering hauling the old Whackjob out of storage and knocking the dust off of it. And maybe wave it about for a while. Give it some air.

I've been trying to find your post where everyone thought you were designing a ship and it turned out to be just a landing leg. Did that melt the computer?

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
added to post

I may have to wimp out and send it up empty then fuel in orbit.
I did get it into orbit full, despite losing 9 of the 35 second-stage engines.

Unfortunately I've found I really underdid it on the reaction wheels, and with no RCS at all it turns like the Titanic sailing in molasses. So now I'll have to either relaunch a modified version (not an appealing prospect), attach control sections with claws (major kraken-bait), or try and fly it as-is (maybe doable with timewarp abuse to stop rotation).

Made a fuel station around the Mun a while ago, and figured it was time to try it out. Had a lander without a purpose floating in kerbin orbit and Jebediah happened to be stuck on the Mun's surface. All the ingredients needed for a mission!

After that docked, refueled, picked up Jeb and landed safely on Kerbin (albeit in the water >.<) I figured I'd take another look at my new interplanetary lander. With this fuel station, maybe a return mission is finally possible! :P

U2Ac3Mf.jpg

First design of the interplanetary craft was... terrible, haha! Anyway, it's really wobbly to push it around. And then I remembered people using tugs! (For the record, in the above picture: Left module = transfer stage, middle module = lander, right module was to try and get it into the Mun's orbit)

m5hjB3V.jpg

Tug seemed to work just fine! =0 It also allows for 4x timewarp, which is good because the transfer burns are going to take forever. Kinda got lucky with the size, my lander only barely fits between the two fuel tanks if aligned correctly with closed solar panels.

PBA4zRy.jpg

Succesfully met up with the simple fuel station orbiting the Mun to top up and get ready for any upcoming mission! I have no idea how much delta v or twr this has and if it's even capable of reaching anything interesting. Not sure how to see those numbers, so I'm just winging it! Wish me luck! :P

Edited by Redd