What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Had the weirdest bug ever today; capsule attempting to land back on Kerbin, when the parachutes deployed four rocket exhausts started to shoot out of the bottom of the capsule and were inexhaustible.

http://i.imgur.com/u8sMxzi.jpg

Maybe your kerbal had last minute landing cold feet and decided they'd rather go back to orbit rather than risk blowing up?

Got the Jool Grand Tour SSTO into orbit, easier than I thought it would be, 2800m/s dV remaining, deposited cargo in orbit and descended. Overshot the KSC and had turned and was coming back just on jets when I enabled time warp. Bad idea, the front fell off immediately, goodbye Jeb, Bill and Bob you will be missed. I have recruited some new help for Valentina for the next slightly modified and hopefully last test flight.

LirC90h.png

Jool Grand Tour prep album

Javascript is disabled. View full album

While listening to mellow music (Vena Portae - Dream Flow) got me an idea; SSSPE Concept (Self-Sustaining Spaceplane Explorer). 4 vertical built-in thrusters for non-atmosphere ascend/descend. Seamless mining and fuel production capability. But who am i kidding, this thing is not going to reach any moon or planet.

With Inf.Fuel cheat i did visit Mun with easy landing and take off. Manual weight distribution is manageable, but always hope there will be a computer can do just that.

v24AR2s.png

Space race!

screenshot0_zpsxobr55tb.png

Ok, actually I realized I forgot the probe cores on the sky crane for my Duna rovers (ok I didn't forget it, I just put them on the wrong end of the mini tug attached to the sky crane :D )so I practiced my firing them up and releasing it.

For the first time EVER, I have successfully landed a spaceplane from LKO onto the runway at the Spaceport!

(Previously I'd managed landings on random islands or whatever, and even one on the same CONTINENT as the spaceport, but this was the first time I'd actually managed to land on the tarmac. She nosed down after landing, but no damage. And as they say, a good landing is any landing you can walk away from. :) )

I killed a kerbal today...

Playing my first career game, accomplished alot of good things, expensive sciency wonderful things. But I had this contract... All I had to do was bring one more lost in orbit kerbal home. (how do they keep getting stuck there, they must really like zero-g). The boys in the Lab said easy peasy, just use one of our older designs, no problems.

Had a good launch, just an auto controlled Mark I. Made the rendevous, EVA'ed and transfered the passenger, and following the flightplan the Lab boys gave me set a periap of 25k. Did a quick save after the retro burn, then watched in horror as poor Rutha or Redra or what ever her name was dashed to pieces in the Western Ocean because she came in too low too fast from orbit and her parachute failed to bloom soon enough to slow her for splashdown.

I went back to the boys in the lab... "We ran the simulation over and over again there was just no way to get her down safe at that reentry angle." Yeah, the angle you guys gave me... And now poor Remfra, or whatever her name was, now Shines Among the Stars because you guys convinced me that cheap outdated piece of Kerbal engineering was up to the task.

When's that flight to Eeloo comming up? I know a couple of engineers and scientist that need a long long flight to atone for their advice... with NO snacks.

Edited by themonk

I started the preparations for a Dres mission in my career mode game. This time I ended up with a space station contract in addition to the basic exploration contract. Because I haven't really built space stations for over a year, I had no idea what to build.

space_station_2.jpeg

This was the first attempt.

space_station_1.jpeg

The launch vehicle was properly ridiculous.

Quite a story, actually.

Bill, Bob and Val were in LKO on a ship called the "NightRaven" that I built early on my career game to go to Ike. It was powered by a single Nerv engine left over from a test contract, connected to a large 3-man lander. I figured I already missed the last Duna window while I was trying to get to Minimus. So it was high time I actually flew the mission. One and one half years of Timewarp to get the window lined up.

The first sign that it was going to be a rough mission was when my ejection burn to duna took 10 minutes, plus another 3 minutes once I was in interplanetary space.

Got into orbit around duna. 15KM peri to areobreak. Apparently wasn't enough. Had to burn another 200m/s to get into orbit. Grabbed some science reports from around duna and set up an encounter with Ike.

I didn't realize I was orbiting Ike retrograde until I was in a tight orbit around it. When I first built the landing spacecraft, it was destined for Duna, and a bit overbuilt for Ike. I just chose to shoot for ike since I had the 'Explore Ike' contract. I didn't care that I was orbitng retrograde, it was time to land.

Unfortunately, I time-warped a bit aggressively on my decent. I then started burning and realized a crash was imminent. For some stupid reason, I decided to quicksave here. Panic, I guess. So I repeatedly tried different strategies to survive the crash. The winning trick was to immediately stage the landers' still full external fuel tanks, then burn straight up. Since I was side-slipping at 200m/s I would shoot past a mountain into a valley giving me ample time to slow down and properly land. I thought aborting the landing completely, but that's not how I do things around here...

Landed. Bounty of science. Got everyone out.

Time to go. Got back into orbit. Docked with the nuke engine. Another long time warp and I could set up my maneuver home. Got the node set up all fancy so I would slingshot out of Ike's SOI straight to a kerbin encounter for only 700m/s.

Time to start the burn *throttles up engine*... wait... why is the DV estimated going up?

*Insert colorful language here* :mad:

So I wasted about 600ms (300 going the wrong way and 300 to bring my velocity back) burning the wrong way because I forgot to switch back to the command pod and I was aiming my vessel relative to the docking port. I dropped the nuke that finnaly ran out of juice and did the last little bit on the biprop fuel that was left in the lander. But I made it back to kerbin with about 5 units of fuel left.

1100 science. three level 4 kerbals, and two contracts completed. Unlocked the IRSU and the seismometer with that. Get to play with my new toys next time I get on.

I built my first SSTO of the month.....

96E3VvD.jpg

Took 20min to build and another 30min to test. Surprisingly easy again.... now to go big and work on interplanetary craft.

JvVhY7fl.jpg

Playing 10x Kerbol (6,000km radius, Earth atmosphere) with miniRO (RO size and efficiencies but just as MM patches to stock parts, no new fuels or engines or whatever).

This is a 1/20th-by-mass scale Von Braun Ferry Rocket. The lower two stages are fully recoverable by parachute (4m/s) and even a bit of engine thrust, and have heat shields for the 2.5km/sec and 4km/sec reentries. Final stage, the shuttle, carries two kerbals plus the pilot or (with a 1m cargo bay mod) 0.5t of cargo. It can survive reentry from LKO (7.3km/sec) by having a very low ballistic coefficient (high drag vs. mass) and flying a skip trajectory between 85 and 65km (at 20-40 degrees alpha) until it finally slows below 5km/sec. Takes about 1/3 the planet's circumference to reenter.

Initial vac Delta V is ~9800 (of which 200m/s is earmarked for orbital ops).

Got an old KAS part mostly working with the KIS system.

ewR8dsA.png

None shall escape my wrath.

I9Kwb5I.png?1

Been trying to beat my old saves into shape. The tech tree is a little messy, with lots of duplicate entries.

g3JLJSK.png

Genderbending Kerbals is harder than you'd think. Basically had to create new, slightly different ones, and edit them into place.

Accidents happen.

pUWwTIc.png

And this:

uCWzLW6.png

dPROYUA.png

Photography for something...

Edited by Tw1