What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made a handful of trips yesterday assembling KSS Marathon.  I'm planning to do a lot more construction on it today, but first I'll need to do a "rescue" mission... See the little dot in the upper right part of the picture?  Yeah, Jeb dropped his Kerbal-catering on the spacebar and decoupled the crew pod.  :0.0: Thankfully, they had just undocked from Marathon and all EVA'd over.  I just need to go pick them up.  Planning to continue expanding the Hextruss system to add more fuel tanks, etc.  I forget all the names of these mods, but they look great!

E9MMPrB.png?1

I started a new science game in 1.1 and sent Jeb on a short hop over KSC to collect science from the buildings on the west side. It got dark on the fourth trip back to the capsule and Jeb forgot were he parked:

screenshot182_zps6ztwywk7.png

And I had my first satellite orbit and return

screenshot184_zpsgjhfomud.png  

Started my game with v1.1 (64) for the first time. Immediately tried a few rovers. And,.. I think I'm not ecstatic. Yes they have implemented cheat-sliders for friction so terrain driving might theoretically not be as hopeless. Basically we don't need the downwards rocket install, we can feel as *cheaters* instead. But they taken a grim revenge on me for pointing out that the rovers got better the fewer wheels you had. My two-wheel and one-wheel rovers are now inoperable. I haven't figured out how or why, but the wheels are "locked" and the engine is "inoperable", and there appears to be no way to change it.

So I had to use an eight-wheeler to make comparisons. And well, no I don't have the feeling they've done this entirely right. Looking at and comparing electricity consumption and the energy that is fed into the vehicle state, speed, altitude, things are on the surface fairly realism-alike. What doesn't seem to fit is roll resistance and aerodynamic drag. Instead the electric motor lose power dramatically at higher revs. I need to run my one and two wheel rovers to examine this more. I suspect less wheels is still an advantage.

The new rovers are also somewhat *undrivable*. Keep them slippery as soaps, immediately spinning around as soon as you touch the steering, or give them traction and friction and have them flipping over as soon as you touch the steering. Not a satisfactory choice.

Edit:  Well, I figured out how to unlock my wheels. Turns out I have to build them somewhat differently. Apparently my previous designs exploited a bug that has now been fixed. So now it'll be slightly more involved to make these designs. But I checked them out. So? Well, I'm not sure anything much has changed. You get an explosive acceleration with more wheels, but that's all. In other regards, fewer wheels are better. Just as before. Actually, it might now be more feasible to use even the one-wheeler.

Edit 2:  OK, I thought  there was some logic to as why some of my few-wheel rovers didn't work any longer. As it turns out, there doesn't seem to be. So rather than be a bug fixed, it seems like a new bug. But that's entirely logical, right? That is - after all - how these things work.

Well, more realistic wheel physics was actually all that I was excited for with v1.1. And since we don't really seem to get that, and there isn't anything else at all (but tutorials I don't need and an inflatable heat shield), this is now a great anticlimax. I mean, it's fine that we now have 64-bit and all that but it actually don't affect me (now). F* this, I'm pulling the cord.  Good night.

Edited by Vermil

I have done some more spring cleaning at the DysonCube station, needed for the next module due to a change of plans. I made yet another jetpack for the job, and was pleased with the aesthetics, though slapping the missiles on without paying attention to the decoupler staying on them made it take awhile to do its job.

Then, I put the jetpack away.DQwcQCo.png

bHmkmV1.png

Next, I actually docked the new solar panel module. The old design that used the ports I just demolished is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

mVhu84d.png

gjfiNjj.pngA6C0Xjk.png

Ah. Beautiful.

PWrOY5d.png(It is actually more of an RTG/more luxurious cabins than the main crew module/ISRU converter module than a solar module)

But there's more!

Today I decided to see if this windows 8 laptop could handle EVE+Scatterer, and checked the 1756 parts that make up the space station and all things docked to it, while using these visual mods (and PlanetShine. I wasn't thinking of Distant Object Enhancement when testing earlier, but I will download that later)

xlJEC41.png

This gets 4-5 seconds real time per 1 second in-game on the DysonCube station, with the 1756 parts all in view, and the mentioned graphical mods. On the surface, the lag was noticeable from scatterer, but turning off the ocean shader made it manageable enough that the game runs around 650 parts (the amount I tested) with smooth fps at seemingly-real-time.

I like the KIE Fighter mod, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use the parts to make things besides TIE Fighter lookalikes. Landing one of these from orbit can be a challenge.

On the launchpad.
AS-5374_zpszikg0hue.jpg

En route to orbit.
AS-5391_zpsduxi03na.jpg

Did I ever mention how much I hate to back into a parking space?
AS-5534_zpsszeoew00.jpg

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/20APR2105%20II

11 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I've been getting RSB's optional stockification patches pretty close to completion. Some example rockets with the stock-alike rescaling:

Whoa, I was hoping for that one, but didn't want to bother you with requesting them in stock sizes. Thanks a lot.

As for what I have done...I missed Moho orbit once again, this time there was enough electricity but I ran out of fuel. And with that I decided to delete the save I started with 1.1 pre, download all the mods that I like to have around and start from scratch in 1.1

Installed 1.1, installed about 20 of the most essential mods (FAR, EVE, IR, KIS, MJ, etc), got random "Oops, the game crashed" in VAB, uninstalled.

I'll give it the customary 2 weeks so things can get settled. Way too many derps remain.

Edited by Bloodbunny

Well, I continued to tests rover dynamics today.

And I'm not happy.   v1.1 does not give us new, proper wheel physics. On the  contrary, it appears to be based on the old failure. Just a couple of tweaks to take some of the worst suck out of it. There's plenty of suck left though.

At least we can now build rovers that will make it more feasible to move around in terrain. But I won't be having any smug or satisfied feeling about it. Also, disaster crashes will continue, since the false, split friction, pole vaulter -model that causes them is still in play.

Putting the friction slider on 3.6 seems to be close to a friction koefficient of 1 (experimentally) (and why is not 1.0 the friction koefficient of 1.0?). But this setting makes you instantly flip over if you turn the slightest at speed. Even with very low center of mass. Theoretically, you should just slide or spin. Put the rover sideways on a 45 degree slope - it slides downwards, doesn't flip. Turn on flat ground - you flip over and crash. And this discrepancy is also really big, I feel. To slide or spin, you have to turn down the friction a great deal.

Energy consumption seems to be directly proportional to the number of wheels you have, and inversely proportional to your speed (the faster, the less energy consumption). This is regulated by the engine's output apparently being inversely proportional to your speed, thus limiting your top speed.
This is not totally crazy (but crazy enough) but I was curious how angle affected it. Well, angle + friction limits your top speed. Going slowly uphill thus consumes lots of energy, despite that the engines doesn't feed much potential energy into the vehicle. Going fast uphill doesn't consume much energy, despite lot's of potential energy gained (is there a niche for a perpetuum mobile there somewhere?). Downward rocket to improve friction doesn't help driving upward much any longer, from what I've experimented. Funny thing is that you can drive uphill steeper than you can stand still with brakes locked. And when sliding down with brakes locked, - then the press-down rocket does indeed help and make you stop (yet another indication of that friction is not a single concept in this model). Increasing angle or lowering friction until you can no longer drive uphill, but starts sliding down, reveals another funny thing: Energy consumption is still inversely proportional to your speed. So the faster you slide backwards, the less energy consumption. It also appears to be exactly the same energy consumption as if going forward & uphill at the same speed.

These experiments were conducted with "Traction" set to auto. I have no clue in H* as to what 'traction' is supposed to represent. Early experiments with 'traction' do not reveal much. Instincts say that your friction contact with the ground is split into maybe three different internal model parameters. Energy and engine seems utterly unrealistic.

Conclusions: As before - Make rovers with fewest possible wheels. New - ditch the push-down rocket. It does something, but friction slider does it better. New - turn up friction slider. This will actually also cut your energy consumption. You'll be going faster uphill with less consumption. How to avoid flip-over crashes? I don't know. Turning down the friction slider will help, but will put old problems back in.

P.S. Silly me. Push down rocket of course still is favorable on low gravity worlds.

Edited by Vermil

Remembered that I don't like career mode. Tried it again after update. I guess it just ain't for me, all that keeping up with money and repetitious busy work and stuff, I just want to blow stuff up, err I mean fly successful missions. Also, remembered that I do like Science and Sandbox mode.Haven't played in awhile. Waited on update and tried to cure KSP burnout due to over 800 hours in game. HA!

Started off this wet week in Houston with sending out my first probe to Duna to collect science from space around it, sent it up and had made my maneuver that showed everything good for a capture with Duna a little over a year, got there and I no longer had a capture, ended up using fuel that was meant to circularize my orbit for a new maneuver to capture, bye bye fuel. Also, this was my first mission to utilize ion engines, never again, didn't help at all to circularize orbit, thankfully the partial capture of Duna counted for 'space above Duna' for contract, Achieved, lock probe towards planet and full throttle the ions to see what happens when it runs out of fuel where it's head, currently out of system, good riddance.  

99F4DAC14AFE0168D78EEA4FEA76844563BCE93C

bye bye mr. useless...

32442BB56347BF10764B3BA9F3E7CDE7901F0443

Next, its time to bring home some experienced kerbanaunt scientist from da mun, and send them to Minmus for a science expedition, built a Mun Taxi controlled by a probe with pretty colors. Go pretty close with Taxi tanks in part to the trajectory looking like I had a normal capture, until I arrived and it show the trajectory going through the Mun, so again I had to use fuel meant for circularizing orbit and adjusting to land near Base for extraction to adjust trajectory and circularize orbit and partially descend trajectory, used some of landing and escape fuel to get trajectory to as close as possible to base (9 km). Thankfully base has a guest base that is on wheels with a few empty seats for such case, drove them to top of nearest highlands plateau and loaded up the most experienced scientists and away we went, now to design new Minmus science rover, and a new mun lander to dock with the base I recently drove to meet taxi, so I can get Tourists off of it, since the can't eva. I seriously think Tourists EVAing should be something squad revisits.

1D7AC48BDB6B09777267FF05442BB407150B16C9

09402FEFDA2DA4F34E64AA1B5898EEF0EC315CC7

21F50A3D322E3C873BD07BAD6C43878DD8A53346

8D3020DDDC358432B5180EB273E75D9FD7ABA58F

Shot of lighting on payload of Taxi coming in for a nighttime landing.

764AD3739A3A075514834511C1A6938511C1F517

CC84B22FDD90A44683C748E610A4084D9C62CF93

128700C986D0D36E0DFE594F0A908C14A7A836B8

Time to scuddle on to Mun taxi evac site.

45E572306138DCA8737ED3654A0CC79C9155D6AC

6FF365C7305C24ECD4435513A857AABFA261F0A5

BBF7770F8379D574A6CC3A79311D5A944E89B4A1

Loading up and launch home.

5F7E3D0173373AE1C9B6D6EC77E0DED744DAE7AA

86470AF67A583A400A8B4837E8E6B8563B6F608F

A133DD9F7CAD4EFCE241395EA260FBA8C4CF16BE

768A750790C60164B3A072B63FC9D09F625FF6B4

the above pic shows the base fully deployed correctly and now I can actually eva everyone except the tourist, now that crawlers are removed.

739EE7702AE4D92FBDCA73A10FEF4EB940F66773

Home safe.

8AF08E5A276957B4D9737B5658C0EC7826068738

I discovered a workaround that makes KSP 1.1 playable with the screen's native resolution or in windowed mode on Linux (see the corresponding bug report), but causes graphics glitches if shadow cascades isn't set to zero (at least while the game starts - it can be increased in the pause menu later, but then also minor glitches appear, yet by far not as bad as those appearing if one has shadow cascades on when starting the game).

Once I had 1.1 running at an acceptable resolution, I copied together development snapshots of various mods I've been using in 1.0.5 (all of them work more or less on 1.1 now, even those that aren't officially released yet), copied my savegame from 1.0.5, and realized that 1.1 is performing not only well, but amazingly well. With that realization I tried to get Scatterer and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements running - the former with more or less success (the lines in the sky, that should have been fixed already are back with the new OpenGL renderer of Unity...), the latter with glitches all over - EVE's RGBA cube map reader obviously doesn't like the new OpenGL renderer of Unity and I'm too lazy to debug that right now...

Anyhow, after messing with graphics enhancement mods for hours and hours, I finally gave up and am now back to the plain old stock look of the Kerbol system. Given that 1.0.5 wasn't performant enough to let me run EVE on my slightly old PC, I still count this as an improvement, as on 1.1 only my biggest station stutters, while all the rest of my crafts are now showing a green clock all the time. :D

Funny enough, although I spent hours with KSP, I didn't really play it...

Resuming my career in 1.1...

A contract came up to rescue someone in low solar orbit.  Since I have 300 days to wait for transfer windows I decided to accept this one.  I find it disappointing that you can't see their orbit in the tracking station until you accept the contract, but I took it anyway.  I created a little nuc powered ship that I thought should have enough DV; the Kerbal to be rescued is well inside Moho's orbit though...

Got my ship into orbit, and then sent up a tanker to refuel it

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-20%20at%208.13.1

Plotted the trajectory and sent it on its way

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-20%20at%208.26.1

When the ship reached is periapsis and started to burn to lower the AP, the big tanks ran dry, so separation happened leaving the nuc ship by itself

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-20%20at%208.31.1

Eventually managed to rendezvous with the stranded 'naut, then noticed some funny characters (for $ and science units) in the contract screen.  I'll have to see if this is a known issue, or just my system, or something...

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-20%20at%209.10.5

Unfortunately the ship has nowhere near enough fuel to return to Kerbin, so I'll have to figure out a new plan.  Probably wouldn't even have enough to get to Moho, though it's a tantalizing side-trip, may as well get some sightseeing done if you can't return anyways.

Then I picked up a contract to rescue someone on the surface of Mün.  I already have a ship in the moon's orbit that will do the job but it has no fuel, so I sent up a small tanker and noticed some occlusion happening...

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%202.38.5 

Then managed to dock the tanker with Mün Stayshun, where the lander is also.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%203.01.4

Then it was bedtime last night.  But after tossing and turning for an hour or two, fired KSP up again, and picked up a contract to expand Minmus Stayshun.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%2012.05.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-21%20at%2012.51.

Happily, sleep came quickly after that.

Edited by justidutch

Found some time to fiddle around in 1.1 and installed EVE and PlanetShine among other visual mods. The new GUI is fantastic, so is the performance and the stability... finally i can test craft without having to restart every second launch. Well done Squad!

After installing the mods, i got back to my Constellation / Von Braun Duna mission and concentrated on the Duna Ascent Vehicle, that will bring the 2 Kerbonauts back to orbit. I wanted it to fit inside a 3.75 m profile without sticking out... 

zklbh6h.png

And within a 3.75 m fairing:

r4rZqLE.png

What did I do in KSP today....?

WELLL I ran from this scary dude

ZlIsssu.png

ZO3Z9xT.png

Mr. Ping is the destroyer or runways and launchpads  and he's coming for your runway and Launchpad

Also, He's featuring my next video about the new sun hats(heat shields)

Mr Ping has a jet pack, but he's too heavy to carry, and needs thrusters to push him forward and uses his jet pack to stay balanced, then with one mighty swing from his "buzz saw'rd"(mr physics causes the sword hand guards to spin) he rips apart any and all runways and launch pads

3 hours ago, Falran said:

Nothing.  Couldn't get off the T1 runway.  

Was that MR Pings fault?

Edited by SparkyFox

38 minutes ago, SparkyFox said:

What did I do in KSP today....?

WELLL I ran from this scary dude

ZlIsssu.png

ZO3Z9xT.png

Mr. Ping is the destroyer or runways and launchpads  and he's coming for your runway and Launchpad

Also, He's featuring my next video about the new sun hats(heat shields)

Mr Ping has a jet pack, but he's too heavy to carry, and needs thrusters to push him forward and uses his jet pack to stay balanced, then with one mighty swing from his "buzz saw'rd"(mr physics causes the sword hand guards to spin) he rips apart any and all runways and launch pads

Was the MR Pings fault?

EL OH EL  :D