What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Sent off a 70+ ton beast of a fuel depot to Minmus as per contract... I REALLY don't want to spend more on that project now but at least I will have a depot in orbit ready for a future mining operation and pitstop for outbound ships. Also ticks me off a bit the fairings knocked off one of the solar panels before they were deployed. Oh well, 3 will have to do.

Edited by LN400

7 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Haven't tried my hand at planes just yet - I'm still getting started in the career game. Thanks for the heads up on the gear; has anybody offered any solutions mod-wise that anybody knows about?

Unfortunately, it's not fixable in KSP 1.1.x :(  The current version of Unity it's on doesn't handle wheels well in general, apparently, and there's not a lot to be done about it. For landing gear, most people seem to have most success by reducing the friction of the front wheel to nothing, which may help to reduce random forces shoving the nose of your craft around.

KSP 1.2 is slated to fix wheels (or at least make them better) because it'll contain a newer Unity version with some wheely good fixes.

Personally, I'm just doing VTOLs with airships at the mo, and mostly ignoring spaceplanes. Which, to be fair, may open up a bit more than my last career, which barely got out of LKO because I spent so much time launching and refining HOTOL lifters :) 

Today in RocketPilot's space program:

Mike Kerman contemplated his life choices.

0bGbRIO.png

Claugee Kerman had trouble landing the K-104.

nkncGg8.png

KhZ0mxL.png

Buzz Kerman found himself in a tight spot.

kUFoKJt.png

A high speed jet flew too fast.

Pj7EWil.png

And this Kerbal simply had a bad day.

eP5sTg5.png

Edited by RocketPilot573

I started a Science save today, and so far I've unlocked all of Tier 2 and 3 and have 2 nodes left in Tier 4. Guspond is flying the Mintmuncher 1 to Minmus for a field day (or week (or two weeks)) after Bob, all out of electricity and using only his Terrier for maneuvering, smacked into Minmus at around 30 m/s. However, I can rebuild him. I have the technology.

Mintmuncher status update: Guspond somewhat safely landed (broke a mini landing strut landing at 9 m/s) and is going to hop to a nearby flat with his EVApack and do more science.

Edit: Maybe that flat wasn't so nearby... Oh well, Kerbin bound.

Edited by Crocket

Another miner, built on a canister design:

curta.jpg

From Kerbin orbit, it had enough dV to land on the mun by itself -- which means it can land on the mun, refuel itself, and suborbital-hop to several other sites before it needs refueling again.

It was a VERY TIGHT SQUEEZE though, as you can see from the 0.69% fuel remaining :confused:  I can probably save fuel by not shipping "ore" with it, but it comes preloaded for balance reasons -- shipping without it will be a lot more complicated.

Also, being a genius, I landed it on a spot with 0.8% ore.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Corona688

with a level of finesse I didn't know I had, I was able to redirect my approach to landing on Minmus and save my probe in a career mode save. I was coming down on a steep slope, was able to adjust the vehicle into "upright" horizontal flight (similar to an Apollo LM after Pitchover), and was able to put it down only on thruster quads at the bottom of the slope. I could probably make a biome hop with all the excess fuel.

Past couple days have been very 'productive' KSP wise:

Got my RemoteTech Kerbin "medium omni" communications satellite network setup.

Got Kerbal Space Station setup

Rearview on night side . . . sort of put too much light on the fore and not enough on the aft, eh?

-Unhs.jpg

Some more views at different angles.

front view nightside

Aj8oh.jpg

oblique 'top' view

NnDqX.jpg

closeup of port side

Iv69_.jpg

belly dayside

aTsJj.jpg

Only thing I really forgot was some extra mulch containers. Third module will fly up soon and add more living space, some mulch containers, some more hydrazine balls (cause one can never have enough of that stuff in space) and a couple empty liquid fuel containers for incomers to drop off excess fuel at (plan for it to gradually build up a nice reserve of liquid fuel to act as a transport hub).

B5lAE.jpg

Module Four will be a training facility, and after that, no major plans, but I built it with plenty of space to expand as I unlock more stuff.

When my next rescue turned out to be flying a cupola module, this became a perfect opportunity to do my first ever completely in-cockpit re-entry:

cupola-reentry.jpg

Look at the curve of the planet.  Look at the navball.  Look at the planet.  LOOK AT THE NAVBALL.  EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE

16 hours ago, Richy teh space man said:

Whilst waiting on other flights, I thought I'd go looking at Kerbins quirks and anomalies with something that isn't a rocket.

What mod is that?  'Cause with landing gear being...problematic...  I might be in the market for a different kind of flying machine. :wink:  

Anyways, I finally started for reals on a big undertaking career mode with oodles of mods that I promised I'd play with once 64bit KSP/windows was a supported thing.  They are too many to number, but the important ones at the onset are Engineering Tech Tree, KScale64, and Kerbal Construction Time.  And AutoRove, thankfully a patch that works.  Which means I've got a BIG world and a good deal more realism going on than normal games.

I fired the stock veterans.  This story calls for new heroes of kerbalkind.

With KCT, researching tech tree nodes takes time - and ETT has a LOT of nodes.  So I made a rover with parts I was getting in the first round of unlocks anyway, and "cheated" it in with MagiCo's ship save splicer.

Kerbalkind has emerged from their vault-cities beneath K2 and have begun to explore the strange surface world.  The precursors left them vast stores of knowledge and technology - but hardly anyone knows how to use it.  Kyrt Kerman (yes I edited the name) was one of the first explorers on the surface, settingout to reach the western edge of the continent.  

WDgZX7B.jpg

After his long desert trek, he listened to the President's speech, rallying all fellow Kermans to explore, expand, and reach further than ever.  The announcement of new a new research and technology development program was announced shortly thereafter.  Kyrt Kerman was called up and asked if he was interested.

The project's home base was, per the recommendations of the Precursors, equitorial and coastal, though nobody fully understood why these things were important.  Kyrt had some ideas, but to get there he'll have many kilometers yet to travel!

u821KLv.jpg

93S4lWW.jpg

ulZYdBd.jpg

Now that I write it, self-insert seems tacky...

Edit: Imgur album embedding does NOT work on the forum like it used to... the heck?

Edited by Kyrt Malthorn
Circumnavigating imgur album non-functionality.

Some nut paid 200,000 funds to send a mini decoupler to minmus, which just happened to be stuck on an upgraded rover for the minmus base guys.  No pictures as it was a night landing, but it was teensy enough to land on a pair of spider engines.  20K mission, 200K profit, a good day.

14 hours ago, Corona688 said:

Another miner, built on a canister design:

curta.jpg

From Kerbin orbit, it had enough dV to land on the mun by itself -- which means it can land on the mun, refuel itself, and suborbital-hop to several other sites before it needs refueling again.

It was a VERY TIGHT SQUEEZE though, as you can see from the 0.69% fuel remaining :confused:  I can probably save fuel by not shipping "ore" with it, but it comes preloaded for balance reasons -- shipping without it will be a lot more complicated.

Also, being a genius, I landed it on a spot with 0.8% ore.  :rolleyes:

Lucky you. I managed to land my Minmus miner on a spot with 0.08% ore.

24 minutes ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

What mod is that?  'Cause with landing gear being...problematic...  I might be in the market for a different kind of flying machine. :wink:  

The balloon is from Hooligan Labs airships, the electric props are from firespitter.

Takes a bit of tweaking to get them right, but they're well worth playing with.

Entertained myself with a tiny little lander that turned out to have impressive range. Transfer stage got within 500m of the surface before running out of fuel, so Lyssa Kerman decided to take a detour on the way home and get a gravity assist from Rald on the way back. Which pretty much acted as a suicide burn. Fortunately she had just enough left in the tank to push the periapsis back to a survivable 32km :) 

Body explored, flag planted, first crew reports from Rald, 800+ science and quite a lot of sponsorship deals!

x2XuJnq.jpg

I put Mun Station Eagle around (well) the Mun with Guspond as captain. Having gone to Minmus and back, Guspond knows the ins and outs of a spaceship. He's not piloting, however. His piloting skills have proven to be a *bit* sketchy from when he almost tipped over his craft on a slope three times.O0XNw

Had a fitting end for my first Duna probe... forgot to set the parachute to open at a lower pressure than default and smacked the ground around 30m/s. Despite the Beagle becoming a Dachshund and being stuck on its back, none of the science payload was actually damaged, so I'm counting that as a success! 

2f86W0j.jpg

1 minute ago, Corona688 said:

You know you're cutting it close when your ladders blow up...

Turns out they were outside the heatshield's protection ^^;