What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Reenactment pics (I forgot to take screenshots at the time) will be added later, once I get some sleepOriginal screenshots have been added, I actually remembered to take some.

• Built an alternative service module for Bobcat's Soyuz-TMA (FASA Agena aft equipment rack (propulsion, partial RCS, space for solar panels) + upside-down JPLVP Epsilon Post-boost Stage (partial RCS, decoupler) + 2x 0.625m stack batteries clipped into the empty recessed space in the PBS's top, which has room for the batteries but lacks a second node for them.)
  • Played around with the Japanese Launch Vehicle Pack's gigantic SRBs and a few FASA parts. Goals for this project were cost mitigation, safety (structural integrity, <3.5g peak acceleration), precision, and Clean Space Act compliance. All objectives were met, though target altitude range and ascent profile flexibility were reduced (as compared to the baseline Soyuz booster from the Soviet Pack) due to extensive use of SRBs (most of which had almost no fuel to keep acceleration reasonable).
  • Played around with alternate engine loadouts for the FASA Atlas (Atlas A, Atlas A with central SRB, SRBs in place of boost engines + overpowered sustainer engine)
  • Built a 2-seat SSTO with FASA, JPLVP, and KW Rocketry parts. I consider this something of an exploit, since it didn't work with the equivalent World Space H-II parts
  • Designed a new medium-lift liquid-fuelled booster with existing mod parts (FASA engines, tanks, and launch supports; JPLV Pack engines & Fairings). It extends the tower + launch stand setup left over from the aforementioned solid-fuel rocket project, adding a crew elevator (purely cosmetic since there's a payload fairing in the way) and 5 or so new FASA fueling arms.
  • Wrote a ModuleManager config to make the Lionhead Aerospace ATV carry KAS cargo. I settled on "maxSize = 220" based on the Soyuz orbital module (maxSize = 40), but it probably needs some tweaking.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Fail-Man 3D
Added Imgur album, fixed text

How the hell do you guys keep posting pics of huge high-performance space planes with like two measly Rapier engines, when my tiny SSTO designs won't even take off with 4 or 6...?!? And if they do take off, they're pointed nose to the clouds like a park avenue dowager just to keep from plunging into the drink...

I see a ton of non-stock parts, maybe that's how...

No cheat, just pwings and proper aerodynamics. I use FAR by the way, that makes real looking planes fly realistically... 2 rapiers is already quite powerful.

Well bear in mind that a lot of the B9 wings have mad lift, certainly more than just about any stock design that isn't using a crap-ton of clipped components. :D

No clipping either.. No trick, no cheat. I can send you the craft file... I dont use B9 wings, but procedural wings.

Today I started designing and launching my RemoteTech orbital network. Deciding to have a crew take charge of it I put a small one man capsule in orbit with four KomSat Mk1 satellites attached at the side. The idea was to deploy them thus:

1. Achieve orbit.

2. Release satellite

3. Increase apogee, wait, then decrease again back to original obit.

4. Repeat until all satellites released .

5. Land

6. Beer

Upon successful orbit I went to release KomSat K1 and realized that I hadn't attached any of the satellites with decouplers and what I had launched wasn't a satellite network creation ship but instead a pirate radio ship.

After taking a large hammer to the Auk VII, I finally got the damn thing up in the air. She was only going 1700 when the first flame out occurred and the NERVAs I had on it didn't have enough oomph to put it into orbit. I'm thinking it needs another Turbojet and maybe a swapping out for Aerospikes but I need to do the math first.

Started a Tylo return mission this morning. Lets just say its not going planned.

EAIzFbI.png

I landed near the cave but I couldn't find it anywhere. I think it may have been removed in .23

mGbuFhf.png

I accidently ran out of fuel in my lander while returning to orbit and I could have saved it. At least my kerbals will be safe.

mlKJ9hv.png

The only way that the kerbals could get ome safely without waiting another year for a rescue ship is my laythe station. It only has 800 units of fuel.

3m1WFex.png

I believe you're thinking of the Energia-Uragan that was posted about in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68076-24-reusing-ships?p=942056&viewfull=1#post942056

And this GIF he posted:

http://i.imgur.com/jURjz76.gif

The image I was referring to was smaller, black-white clipart with some Russian text. Even though I am pretty sure yours is not the image I saw I do believe this is the same shuttle design. Both are Russian and look very much the same. Thanks.

Edit:

Looking closer at the post you linked I found one image that looked very familiar:

nq2CPV0.jpg

Edited by Tex_NL

Finished my Tylo return mission finally! took about 10 hours to complete due to alot of complications.

9vIDGjM.png

Filled up my shuttle with fuel and rendezvoused with Tylo.

49MWePd.png

I transfered all the kerbals to the shuttle and ditched the Main ship.

OXEygAA.png

After 2 years away from home the homesick kerbals return.

GalO7V0.png

I picked them up from orbit with another ship and they landed safely!

ulJVZEh.png

Today I went to Minmus for some science.

http://i.imgur.com/HvAK9HL.jpg

Cute flag you have there! :)

And I am always amazed how a little bit of paint can change look of a rocket and make even the simplest starting tech designs look special again. :)

Where is the fuel tank from?

My Duna escapade with all its ups and downs has accumulated into a storyline worthy of a crew report, I think. So should I ever manage to finish the actual mission (with the untested crew return lander ... *shiver*) - and I hope to do so next week - I shall gather all my random screenshots and report back.

In short: Kethane base established, tanker on its way, Duna crew anxious to get going.

Implemented my plan to get the Auk VII into orbit (replaced the nukes with Aerospikes and saved enough mass to add another Turbojet) and got it into orbit.

b6mJ6tl.png

Little low-res glamor shot there.

She arrived with about 2/3 of her fuel payload intact. She has the same mission as the Auk VI - to deliver fuel to orbiting craft - but this time around I checked the CoM/CoL balance for all fuel modes (i.e. with empty tanks), and she should remain balanced (unlike the Auk VI); she also is capable of delivery of moar fuel, I think. I have a docking target in orbit of Kerbin and I'll be testing that aspect out today, hopefully landing as well.

Auk VII needs moar intakes - that I know. Now that I know she'll make orbit, I'll have to see about adding them.

Messed around with Gilly, Eve, Tylo, Jool, and Laythe tonight :)

oYnCUxF.jpg

Started by fixing the problems with my Eve lander and adding some missing science modules, then sent it off again. Got to the system, established orbit around Eve...and realized I had just a ton of fuel in that nuclear engine still, so decided to hit up Gilly.

skwyXqj.jpg

That's my lander en pointe with its nuclear engine still attached. It danced down the hill a bit but I didn't manage to get video of it. :( It was definitely amusing to watch, though. It landed, bounced a little, and the engine swung back to vertical by the time it touched again, repeat with ever smaller hops until it stopped. I planned to let it fall down gently and just launch it horizontally against Gilly's low gravity, but it landed like that which was perfect. Gilly was a tough target to get an encounter with, but it was worth it to watch that.

Then I headed back to Eve to do the science I'd missed before.

HXX0z3E.jpg

So Eve stuff done for now, I spent my science, then instead of actually using it to build anything, I decided to see if that Eve lander could make it to Jool with no changes at all to either the lander itself or its earlier stages, or if it would need modifications. Loaded it right back up, and headed for Jool for the first time.

My transfer wasn't perfect even after a midcourse correction, but I got there no problem, yay! ...Then I accidentally missed the SoI change and used my only F9 of the night, a personal best! :)

3aNDfDr.jpg

So this time, with no changes except not zooming past the SoI change, I entered the system on a lovely equatorial plane, but VERY far out. So I corrected course to establish a proper orbit, and while working on lowering my Jool periapsis I saw that Tylo was more than willing to give me a nice gravity brake, so I happily accepted that flyby.

ft5FoV4.jpg

nZGP59I.jpg

Swung south of Tylo, picking up more gravity readings on the way, and on to swing past Jool. Coming back in from apoapsis, Laythe decided it wanted to be friends as well, and though my original plan was to drop this probe into Jool I decided to land on Laythe and get a little more science instead.

VtZMdDS.jpg

I'm beginning to grow rather fond of this probe :)

Almost got a 5 ton payload into orbit with the real solar system mod.

Just gotta scrounge another 1900m/s from somewhere...bigger boosters i guess.

I dont know what it is about the real solare system mod. But you get some awesome views of kerbin with it.

I played around with the latest FASA pack last night. Built a nice Atlas-D/Agena upper stage vehicle and shot it at the mun.

Not at the moon in the sense of orbital transfer, but actually *at* the moon. Started with a Hohmann transfer and then made a series of burns to add velocity and make course corrections. Incidentally, I learned that once your velocity is high enough, even if you are some distance out, the need for course corrections mostly vanishes and you can pour what's left of your delta-v into sheer velocity. I guess this makes sense (you're going to hit the target before the target moves very far), I just hadn't thought of it before. By the time the little Agena was out of fuel (liquid and mono) it was heading for the munar midlands at something in excess of 4700m/s.

This might be the best 'don't ask/because I could' game of all time.

Updated and improved my SSLS, Stable Shuttle Launch System.

- The four boosters have been replaced with three more powerful versions.

- Nose tank is better centered and is now modular for easier dV adjustment.

- 16 nose tank separatrons are replaced by a single KSPX escape tower (looks and performs better).

- Lift on the return vehicle is dramatically increased and is now much better balanced.

All in all it is now stronger and handles better on both re-entry and atmospheric flight.

It launches a 40+ ton payload to a nice 200*200km orbit with fuel to spare. Passing the 'Orange tank to orbit' (36 tons) with ease.

I fought the kraken. And won. Then I bottled it, and used it to get me first into space, then into a 10km/s solar grazing orbit, and then back into suborbital speeds. Just because I could.

Gi0Ntx8.png

FtdJ0U6.png

Rune. I've never felt so proud. Well, perhaps on my first munar landing. Or rendezvous. Or...

I started experimenting with space tourism and built the Tourist Trap, which can get one paying customer into orbit in an inefficient but interesting way.

tourist_trap.jpg

The standard way of getting to space involves pointing the nose upward. This is understandable from a technical perspective, but the views from the command pod are quite boring during the launch. For tourism purposes, it's obviously better to strap the pod to the bottom of the rocket.

tourist_trap_launch.jpg

tourist_trap_view.jpg

There was some trial-and-error involved, as the staging confused poor MechJeb, making it unable to compute delta-v correctly for most stages. After 5 or 6 launches, I finally ended up with a lifter that can get the pod into orbit, with plenty of fuel to spare.

tourist_trap_separation.jpg

Edited by Jouni

What follows is a tale of sheer stupidity.

After my first "successful" Mun landing, the ship ended up stuck in a highly elliptical polar orbit because it didn't have enough fuel to get back home. I decided, reasonably, to sent a rescue mission up there to retrieve Jebediah and the science stored on the ship.

I build the ship, click "Launch", and find that Bill managed to get aboard. There is only one spot on the ship and it was reserved for Jebediah, so I EVA Bill out onto the side fuel tanks. *facepalm*

Revert flight.

Bill is still on the ship. Well, I honestly have no idea why I didn't expect that. This time I have the incredibly Kerbal idea of intentionally leaving him on the side tanks and then depositing him in orbit. (Perhaps a slightly smarter idea would have been to leave him in the capsule until the ship reached orbit.) A slight staging error meant the side tanks fell off and Bill plummeted to his death.

Revert flight.

Everything is exactly the same as before, but this time Bill overtakes the rocket during a staging process and then falls to his death again. Oh well, at least the side tanks are still on. During the next staging, something explodes (I don't know what, but there were multiple explosions) and the entire middle section of the rocket is gone, apparently having been torn off by the staging and destroyed by the temporary flailing-around of the other fuel stacks. The rocket still makes it into orbit fairly well and is now in a nice little Kerbin orbit, perfectly ready for the next stage of the journey.

Edited by The Jsaur

Started to create my interplanetary mission craft:

t35q.png

A bit of a different perspective:

mnkv.png

1z2o.png

Now to explain this craft:

The craft will theorectically be able to go to Duna, Eve or Dres (maybe be able to do Dres then Duna) and return to Kerbin.

This docking node here:

gybp.png

is the lander that will go down to the planets and collect all the delicious science. On the end of that ship will go extra fuel (and a science lab if I have enough delta V to go to multiple places)

Then once that ship has returned from wherever I decide to do Bill, the kerbal in the lander, will go here:

http://imageshack.com/a/img545/9245/ckb1.png

Then the lander will undock, and then Jeb, the kerbal in the other mk1 command pod, will fly them both back to kerbin where Bill will eject from the transport craft, enter kerbin's atmosphere and return (hopefully) alive will all the science gathered....

Well... that's the plan...

To add tomorrow:

Extra fuel (probably about 3 large 2.5m tanks, not sure exactly yet)

A little science probe: A probe which will go on the docking port on the lander, in case I need extra science stuff... or an antenna, as I never add them to manned craft :P

Science lab? Not needed really as the science probe will probably be lighter

That should be it... I may take a kethane probe, dunno though :P

(This will be done tomorrow because I am tired and don't want to crash into a small hill, like I did with an Ike mission... remember:

main_ad_350_v2-300x200.gif