What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I attempted to refuel my space station. It went perfect the entire mission, however just before docking I had to decouple the big transfer engine that I used to rendezvous. However, the engine and its tank went flying off in its trajectory and slammed into some of the solar panels of the space station. I had to revert flight, and I don't really feel like doing it all over again. :/

I am putting the finalization on the craft I will use for a special video for July 20th, I know this is a long way off but I didn't want to not have the craft be rushed. So far it has went through 4.5 different versions to get right, I say 4.5 mostly due to the 4th one just needing small changes that didn't warrant it being its own model. Next I will test it thoroughly to make sure there are no bugs and all the small hitches can be avoided or fixed before the event. I may do the video a head of time to give me lots of time in post to make it look nice as well, but have yet to decide on that part at this current time.

I recorded scientific data... and i update this file, it's the "archives" where i write everything related to my missions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTIMATTER FLUX AROUND KERBIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75 Km: 8.64e^-007

100 Km: 1.52e^-006

125 Km: 2.37e^-006

150 Km: 3.38e^-006

175 Km: 4.56e^-006

200 Km: 5.89e^-006 Data recorded

225 Km: 7.36e^-006 the 10 June 2014 by KMSP 1

250 Km: 8.95e^-006

275 Km: 10.6e^-005

300 Km: 12.4e^-005

325 Km: 14.3e^-005

Optimal orbit height:900 Km (4mg/day)

MISSIONS

Traveller 1 [sUCCESS, EXITING KERBOL SYSTEM]

Traveller 2 [FAILURE, IN HIGHLY ECCENTRIC ORBIT AROUND KERBOL]

Krustle 1 [sUCCESS, ORBITING KERBIN (LKO), REPAIRED ONE TIME (SOLAR PANELS OVERHEATING) ]

Krustle 2 [PARTIAL SUCCESS, HELIUM DEPLETED]

Kemini 1 [sUCCESS, RENDEZVOUS & REPARATION OF KRUSTLE 1 BY JEBEDIAH KERMAN USING KOYOUZ-2C]

Karriner 1 [FAILURE, IN ECCENTRIC INCLINED AND ECCENTRIC ORBIT AROUND KERBIN]

SPOT K1 [sUCCESS, MAPPING KERBIN IN POLAR ORBIT]

SPOT K2 [sUCCESS, MAPPING KERBIN IN INCLINED ORBIT]

KOYOUZ 1 TO KOYOUZ 7 [PARTIAL SUCCESS, MÃœN AND MINMUS LANDING AND SEVERAL WEEKS IN ORBIT (MISSION KOYOUZ 2 - FUEL DEPLETED IN ORBIT AROUND KERBIN, RCS FUEL USED FOR DE ORBIT BURN]

LAUNCHERS

Alta 1 [WORKING, USED TO LAUNCH KOYOUZ 2C]

Alta 2 [FAILURE, STABILITY PROBLEMS]

Alta 3 [WORKING, USED TO LAUNCH KOYOUZ-2C]

Alta 4 [iN TESTING, SAS PROBLEMS, USED TO LAUNCH KARRINER 1]

X1 [RETIRED, ASPARAGUS STAGIN TESTS]

X2 [RETIRED, ASPARAGUS STAGIN TESTS]

ASPARAGUS 1 [RETIRED, TWR AND DELTAV WERE TOO HIGH]

Alta 5 [WORKING, USED TO LAUNCH KOYOUZ-4]

SHIPS

Koyouz 1 [RETIRED, CANT STAY IN SPACE MORE THAN 1 DAY]

Koyouz 2 [RETIRED, SOLAR PANELS WERE OVERHEATING DUE TO RADIATORS]

Koyouz 2B [RETIRED, NEEDS TOO MUCH RCS]

Koyouz 2C [REPLACED BY KOYOUZ 4, LAUNCHED BY ALTA 1 & 3]

Koyouz 3 [RETIRED, TOO HEAVY AND STABILITY PROBLEMS]

Koyouz 4 [WORKING, LAUNCHED BY ALTA 5]

ACTUAL MISSION LOG

4PM GMT+1 [14 June 2014]

I launched the first Koyouz-4 using the Alta-5 rocket, both of them were working without a problem.

Alta 5's last stage ran out of fuel at the exact moment when i achieved orbit.

Koyouz-4 is orbiting Kerbin at 75Km, with Jebediah, Bob and Bill Kerman

ALTA 3

ywZwnUM.jpg

ALTA 4

UxR2QtA.jpg

ALTA 5

n18DJhd.jpg

KARRINER 1 IN ALTA 4

XW6niia.jpg

KOYOUZ 2C IN ALTA 1

nZ3KAYm.jpg

KOYOUZ 4

hvb9GCC.jpg

ALTA 1

80OnoeP.jpg

Edited by Cochonrambo31

Finally out of the Antarctic ice sheet and deep into the tundra, discovering a mountain I want my name on, closing the distance to my final destination: The Kerbal Space Center Flagpole.

Finally... i´ve been planning this for 2 months now... i finished the orbital assembly of the IPV Kerbonov 9001. It is designed for a grand tour to Jool where it will visit all moons, doing scans and especially lots of SCIENCE. The name Kerbonov 9001 is a tribute to the great story 2010 by Arthur C. Clarke.

The most distinctive section of the Kerbonov is the massive 10 ton heavy heat shield, that will protect crew and ship during the aerobraking maneuver when arriving in the Jool system. It will be jettisoned later, when all critical maneuvers are completed.

The Kerbonov features a command section - a MK1-2 command pod which also holds the heat shield, a habitat section with a hitchhiker module and a lab section with a mobile processing lab. It will carry 3 brave kerbals on its mission, with lots of spare room, so they feel comfortable on their long journey. The spine of the ship is constructed around an FL-T800 fuel tank, with lots of antennae, scientific equipment and RCS fuel tanks.

CWqlTc7.png

Docked to the dorsal side of the ship, you can see the Scarab lander and the Locust rover, i posted earlier last month on the forums. Scarab will be able to pick up Locust and carry it back to orbit, so the dynamic duo will see more than just one moon of Jool. In the picture below, you see the winning shot of a successful test run on the Mün.

B2t2rhu.png

Launch is scheduled for tomorrow. Today the crew will launch in an OSV bringing along some equipment in containers, that will help keep the mission running. The containers hold lots of spare parts like solar panels, electric generators, struts, struts, struts and some parts to construct a rover on site, if the Locust Rover is lost somehow. Below you see the crew transfer vehicle standing by for launch.

AKwLUYd.png

Kurt, Macfried and Ed Kerman are confident, that everything will go well. This will be my first kerbaled mission to the joolian system... Godspeed!

Testing, testing, always more testing.

Modified my SSTDuna because it turned out she was exactly that: single stage to Duna and not having any fuel left at all after that. Mind you the fact that both Mun AND Minmus got in the way during my transfer burn also cost me a lot of extra fuel I think. With modifications and a better transfer window, hopefully our brave kerbals now have enough fuel for a return trip.

Jebediah II died today. While to everyones surprise he managed to fly the "Testplane 2" nearly up to LKO and managed to descend at an acceptable speed, he touched down on uneven terrain, what caused the plane to spin and the cockpit to crash into the ground...

He will be remembered as the hero he was, being the first Kerbal to land and return on Mun and Minmus, the first who did a really successful spaceplane flight and landing, and pilot of many, many other flights.

I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone, and learnt that payload-ratios and efficient transfers are not the only things to think about: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82841-The-Kerbal-Amazing-Race%21

The challenge thread isn't much to look at because the missions have to come as a surprise but I've only done 5 of 25 and I'm already sweating :-)

I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone, and learnt that payload-ratios and efficient transfers are not the only things to think about: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82841-The-Kerbal-Amazing-Race%21

The challenge thread isn't much to look at because the missions have to come as a surprise but I've only done 5 of 25 and I'm already sweating :-)

Yeah, If your looking for something to do in KSP come and check this out! http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82841-The-Kerbal-Amazing-Race%21

I learned that Mk2 & Mk3 fuselages play well with each other because of the common width of both parts, and maintains a nice continuous heat shield along the ventral side of the craft. Resulting in this:

4B3F42E002B0EEE921E6E55555E1884A14ED4381

Also, after reading the description of a "flat spin", I think I learned that having the CoL even just a little bit in front of the CoM may be responsible for some control problems ('Floaty' controls, unintentional yaw and roll, etc).

Edited by LethalDose

Today I am giving F.A.R. another try. (after 13 months or so)

I know that you should rebuild your planes, cause otherwise they are most likely not working. Whatever, I copied a lot of my favorite designs over just for testing purposes. Mostly small-medium sized planes. Not a single one flew as intended or in many cases at all. With ONE exception:

zhr0aui.png

And this is working even a LOT better with F.A.R.

made me laugh quite a bit. :D

Launched and transferred the modules in preparation of my Duna operation. All have been assembled in a low orbit and the complex is now waiting for the arrival of Jebediah to land on the planet for the first time on behalf of Kerbalkind. :)

bXscsAm.jpg

Been trying to make a Real Solar System, stock-based Apollo replica. With lots of detail.

At 2468 parts, it wouldn't load on the pad. And I hadn't even made the first (lowest) stage yet....

I decided to give up and use procedural tanks for the lower stages.

9onge0n.png

But, at about 1000 parts, it was pushing it again. I might have to give up on using super engine clusters to lift it...

Instead I took my Saturn IB inspired rocket for a run.

5X0xuPL.png

Then accidentally staged away everything I needed to circularise.

KrRrMzE.png

So chilled on a sub-orbit until it was time to face reentry without the intended shields.

vlSiLXH.png

Despite running out of power, they made it home- one parachute didn't burn up, that was all we needed.

I also experimented with soccer balls. Self mobile ones, that don't need no clumsy kerbals..

OsoL22u.png

And did this. But that's a story for my cannons thread...

DLfDdMx.png

Edited by Tw1

4:30 in the morning. After a long time of preparations, the Dunar project was entering its final stage with the take off of Jebediah Kerman.

7yHUlE9.jpg

One hour later, shortly before accelerating into interplanetary space, he got to see his last sunrise over Kerbin for possibly several years. Or maybe forever...

VSfG6VB.jpg

Saying good bye to all of Kerbalkind...

vGAbzkc.jpg

As Jeb entered a high orbit arround the Sun, he became the first Kerbal to be this far away from his home planet. Everything seemed to work well and lots of scientific data was gained already.

GADeKQ1.jpg

But a couple weeks later, while getting closer to Duna, he made a terrifying discovery. As the distance to the sun increased, it became obvious that sooner or later its shrinking light would not be able to provide enough power for the life support systems. "Kouston, we have a problem!" he sounded over the long range transmitter and complained about whomever made the electricity calculations. After turning all non-vital systems off, he was able to stabilize the energy flow. But only just. And it was guaranteed to get worse...

G6xZBQA.jpg

A few days later, he arrived at the red planet. And while desperately trying to catch every bit of sunlight with his solar panels, Jeb realized that an ongoing orbital course arround the planet would mean that he constantly would loose energy on the nightside, while the sunlight on the dayside would not be strong enough to recover the loss. By his caluclations the Kerbalnaut came to the conclusion, that after just three orbital periods he would be facing a cold and dark death...

a6dver9.jpg

His only hope was, to arrive at the automated service station that was set up half a year prior to his journey, dock with it in time and hope to be able to establish an energy flow situation that would allow him to survive at least untill the next return window.

DSTpxmY.jpg

After the orbital insertion burn, the remaining lifter/travel stage was dumped. Then it took Jebediaha two long orbits to get at least somewhat close to his save harbor. Finally, the station came in sight...

IUabPTe.jpg

While the sun was about to descent below the horizon and Jebediah desperately tried to dock his spaceship in time, Kouston mission control was already formulating a letter for his family...

3GDyTOY.jpg

But against all odds, on the brink of death, Jeb managed to hook up with the stations docking port, just as it turned dark...

p1xPNOC.jpg

And after the whole complex was fully turned into the next sunrise, it turned out that once every single probe core was deactivated by Jebediah, the station would indeed sustain his life for as long as the materials in its tanks would last.

yKLfIcE.jpg

Now Jeb is gathering more scientific data and preparing the lander to become the first Kerbalnaut who sets his foot on another planet...

Fiddled about with a Mk1 capsule, and found out a nice, safe, low-tech fire-and-forget return from Mun orbit for a single capsule and Mk16 parachute. Six sepratrons, combined with the decoupler force, are enough to escape from a 30km circular Mun orbit into a 30km periapse at Kerbin, and a 0.33 opening pressure is about at the speed that I'd normally deploy parachutes if I still had control, so with that, there's no need to worry. With this, I might put together an early Mun landing in my next career mode - early meaning "before batteries and solar panels". It'll require careful control with an alternator-equipped engine and some excess fuel... Also, it'd probably need a significant degree of planning.

Perhaps not, then. But that return method may see future use, who knows.