Size of tiny parts.

Shaun

if "rescaleFactor = X" is not called out in the part.cfg, the game will use a default value of 1.25. If you actually make a new part in a 3d modeling program sized to 1.25m BEFORE you export it to KSP compatible files, you will need to put "rescaleFactor = 1" in the part.cfg or it will show up bigger than you wanted it to. However, if you sized the part to 1.00m before export, you don't need that line, as KSP's default value of 1.25 will size the part to match the "small" tanks, engines, and pod.

Here's a quick guide for what to set rescaleFactor to in order to get a part that will match up with 5 of the common diameters used in KSP:

For a part that was sized as 1.00m in the 3d modeling software:

result diameter: = rescaleFactor value

0.625m: = 0.625 (probe core sized)

1.25m: N/A (KSP default) (Standard diameter of the FL-Txxx series fuel tanks, LV-xxx engine series, stock jet engines, and the single seat space capsule)

2.5m: = 2.5 (Standard diameter of Rockomax products {including the "orange tank"}, and the 3 seat white command pod)

3.75m: = 3.75 (Largest diameter parts available in KW Rocketry pack)

6.25m: = 6.25 (Largest diameter parts available in NovaPunch pack, and the largest 'standardized' diameter, however larger is possible)

For a part that was sized as 1.25m in the 3d modeling software:

result diameter: = rescaleFactor value

0.625: = 0.5

1.25: = 1.0

2.5: = 2.0

3.75: = 3.0

6.25: = 5.0

Hope this data helps you out!

PS: If someone has a part sized at any of the other diameters in this chart, there should be enough data points for them to be able to use simple algebra, a pencil and paper to figure out what number they need to put in for rescaleFactor, if any. By "simple algebra", I mean that you shouldn't run into anything more complex than long division, and that's doable on a basic calculator anyways.

SciMan - As always, happy to share info if I know it, even if I end up sharing more info than was strictly needed.

Edited by SciMan

I assume the game was originally designed for 1, 2, and 3 meter sizes and at some point someone said that the kerbals looked too big for the ships and thus was born the 1.25 scale thing.

Why couldn't they have just made the kerbals smaller? :(

I assume the game was originally designed for 1, 2, and 3 meter sizes and at some point someone said that the kerbals looked too big for the ships and thus was born the 1.25 scale thing.

I've read somewhere that it's a problem with the Unity engine: it doesn't "like" objects which are half of one unit of dimension (0.5m), so they had to make parts 1.25m wide instead of 1m so that Kerbals, which are half of that size at 0.625m, wouldn't cause any problems.

Yes, iirc there was a large update after Nova joined Squad with a bunch of new parts, which were 1.25m instead of 1m. EVA and IVA were being developed when this occured and the kerbals are 1m tall when on EVA, so it wouldn't make sense for a 1m tall kerbal to exit a capsule that wouldn't fit him and his suit.

On a related note- RIP 1m Command Pod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.