[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

Download link does not work for me. (spherical tank ones, the Toroidal dl link does work.)

Wow, of all the things for me to mess up, the actual link to get the actual mod is the one I choose... Link is fixed now, sorry about that.

That was actually what I meant

Ahh, I see. The problem that I ran into with this one is that if I separated the spokes as a separate mesh containing just them, then rescaling them would end up having basically the same effect as rescaling them while attached to the toroid.

Another possibility would be to have the spoke mesh be just a single one of the spokes and use 9 [MODEL] nodes to rebuild the spoke structure in the cfg file. Using this method, I could rescale them along their lengthwise axis to maintain their diameter while achieving the desired length, but that would make for extremely complicated placement using the position and rotation modifiers to get them in the right configuration. This would actually be an ideal way to solve the problem ultimately, but I felt it would require a disproportional amount of work to achieve the result.

Great... now I need to redesign my orbital fuel stations...

From this:

screenshot11.png

To this:

screenshot13.png

2 Things -

1> I think I might want to use the 11.25m Kethane Sphere for my station core now.

2> I love you, but stop slacking and make this stock for the mod! 4 hubs, and then 4 size Toroidals per fuel! I need to make my new station!

~Steve

What are those red parts?

What are those red parts?

Antimatter tanks from KSP Intersteller. I highly recommend you check it out. It's the least OP advanced tech mod I've ever seen.

Take the Alcubierre Drive for example. Yes, it's a warp drive... but it doesn't change your relative velocity. It puts you in a physics bubble and moves space around you. Exactly how it's supposed to work, in theory. The mod also has a wide selection of nuclear reactors, antimatter reactors, microwave trasmittesr/receivers for power... etc.

Take a look

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839-0-21-KSP-Interstellar-%28Now-with-Heat-Radiators%21%29-Version-0-6-2-%28Beta%29

~Steve

PS

I highly recommend that if you want to use it.... watch the Scott Manley video and look at the wiki at all the tables to get an idea what's going on. There's a LOT of accurate math in this mod.

Another possibility would be to have the spoke mesh be just a single one of the spokes and use 9 [MODEL] nodes to rebuild the spoke structure in the cfg file. Using this method, I could rescale them along their lengthwise axis to maintain their diameter while achieving the desired length, but that would make for extremely complicated placement using the position and rotation modifiers to get them in the right configuration. This would actually be an ideal way to solve the problem ultimately, but I felt it would require a disproportional amount of work to achieve the result.

I hadn't really considered that you couldn't scale the parts linearly in a radial fashion (i.e. outwards from the hub) without also scaling them in all other directions. The only other clever thing I can think of is that you wouldn't need 9 nodes with individual spokes, just 3 nodes of meshes containing 3 spokes (Still probably more effort than it is worth). Ooh actually another bright idea that I probably havn't fully thought through ;) the launch clamps must include some kind of auto scaling or stretching so that they always reach the floor no matter how high up you attach them - perhaps there is some code there to be exploted for the spokes (Again...probably more effort than it is worth)

There's a LOT of accurate math in this mod.

You seem to have a thing for maths lol

I can do some half decent modeling in blender but unity just confuses the heck out of me and 3DS/Maya are too complex looking.

For example~ http://imgur.com/a/08k6w#0

Texturing sucks but the models themselves aren't that bad. Especially considering they all started out as a simple cube.

Edited by JewelShisen
Added imgur link

Well, the major proportions are still exactly the same as the original prototype tank. 6:1 ratio between the radius of the torus centerline and the thickness of the torus. The major changes were to the details and collider.

Well, the major proportions are still exactly the same as the original prototype tank. 6:1 ratio between the radius of the torus centerline and the thickness of the torus. The major changes were to the details and collider.

Well, I initially didn't like how narrow you made the tube itself.... but it's growing on me. I can see some definite up sides to it... like ship visibility. Besides, this will rarely be the main tank for anything important. Not like I'm going to miss the small amount of fuel lost.

~Steve

Hey Talisar,

I have an idea for a command pod but not the skills. Maybe you'd be interested in it? The intent was for this to be a 3 man pod that looked a bit different than all the apollo style cones we've been getting. I also wanted something that would work well for a lander. The rough images I have here are of a 2.5 base and 1.25 nose to match stock parts. Anyway, take a look and feel free to use or ignore as you see fit:

-snip-

Hey Sojourner,

What do you think about something along these lines? I raised the sides up a bit to make it less conical overall, and you can't see in that render, but I'm thinking 3 of those windows spaced around. Maybe some greebles for flavor as well?

2uo8.png

Spherical Tanks v3.0pre (Modularized for your pleasure!)

So, in order to address the issue of the spherical tank pack having become too unwieldy, I have once again made sweeping changes. Using the modulefuels plugin created by ialdabaoth and now maintained by NathanKell (Thread HERE) and the firespitter plugin created by Snjo (Thread HERE), I now have a pack prepared that allows you to change both tank contents and band colors from the VAB.

I want to ensure it is working completely before I upload it to spaceport, but here is a link to the pre version if anyone would like to help me test it: Spherical Tanks V3.0pre

To use, place the tank in the VAB as usual. Open the action groups tab and you will be able to both adjust fuel types/amounts and cycle through the available colors bands from there. You will only be able to add tanks for fuels that are in your KSP install (So if you don't use kethane, you won't be able to change it's value)

In case of plugin conflict, always get the most current ones from the authors in their respective threads linked above. Many thanks to both Snjo and NathanKell for putting up with my questions so I could put this together.

Now get to testing! :)

edit - oh, and there are new textures too.....

Hey Sojourner,

What do you think about something along these lines? I raised the sides up a bit to make it less conical overall, and you can't see in that render, but I'm thinking 3 of those windows spaced around. Maybe some greebles for flavor as well?

2uo8.png

Looks pretty cool, but I'd still include the raised cockpit bit. Maybe opposite the airlock?

Oh wow. I don't have the time just yet to test this, but that is a significant improvement for cutting down the number of parts included for this mod. I assume it now requires us to install both those plugins in addition to the Spherical Tanks package?

Oh wow. I don't have the time just yet to test this, but that is a significant improvement for cutting down the number of parts included for this mod. I assume it now requires us to install both those plugins in addition to the Spherical Tanks package?

Yes, but the necessary plugins are included in the download. The major thing to ensure is that if you have either of their mods already installed, don't overwrite their plugins with the ones in this pack. I think the ones I have are the most up to date, but theirs are sure to be.

The way I have it set up cuts the tanks down to 12 total instead of the 150+ in the plugin-less pack. I may split the EL resource ones off so that they have separate tanks that show up in the utilities tab though. Currently all the different resources are all in the same tanks on the propulsion tab.

Looks pretty cool, but I'd still include the raised cockpit bit. Maybe opposite the airlock?

I planned this design for an alternate command pod for landers, meant to be mounted vertically. I'm thinking of a version for horizontal use with the raised cockpit, the windows facing more to the front (top in the pic) and the airlock mounted on one of the sides.

I would love a two or three seat pod with seats oriented in different directions... so you could have a forward looking window for flying, and a lander-can-style window for looking out to the side and downward while landing.

I would love a two or three seat pod with seats oriented in different directions... so you could have a forward looking window for flying, and a lander-can-style window for looking out to the side and downward while landing.

I think that could work if I try out sojourner's suggestion. Place a forward (upward) facing cockpit opposite the airlock, and have horizontally facing seats at the other two windows...

*sigh* you guys are gonna make me learn to build IVA's aren't you? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.