[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

I would love a two or three seat pod with seats oriented in different directions... so you could have a forward looking window for flying, and a lander-can-style window for looking out to the side and downward while landing.

That's actually how I envisioned the pod, the middle seat would be oriented to look to the side/down out of the raised cockpit for landings while the two outer seats face "up" for launches.

So, there's been a few downloads of the test version and I haven't heard any complaints about it so I assume it's working :). I think I'm going to move it towards official release. I'm going to split the tanks so that there's a set for the various fuels in the propulsion tab and a set for other resources (rocketparts, oxygen, etc) in the utilities tab. I may also rework the toroidal tank pack to use the plugin system and add them all to the same pack.

One question though, I was looking at where I should add them into the tech trees. I was thinking either all in the big "experimental rocketry" tab, but that adds them all at the very end. My other thought is to add the smalls at "heavier rocketry", mediums at "very heavy rocketry" and the large ones at "experimental rocketry".

Any thoughts on this, or feedback on the test version would be appreciated, so I can do a final release with as few "fix-it" updates as possible.

So, there's been a few downloads of the test version and I haven't heard any complaints about it so I assume it's working :). I think I'm going to move it towards official release. I'm going to split the tanks so that there's a set for the various fuels in the propulsion tab and a set for other resources (rocketparts, oxygen, etc) in the utilities tab. I may also rework the toroidal tank pack to use the plugin system and add them all to the same pack.

One question though, I was looking at where I should add them into the tech trees. I was thinking either all in the big "experimental rocketry" tab, but that adds them all at the very end. My other thought is to add the smalls at "heavier rocketry", mediums at "very heavy rocketry" and the large ones at "experimental rocketry".

Any thoughts on this, or feedback on the test version would be appreciated, so I can do a final release with as few "fix-it" updates as possible.

Tal i played around with it, no complains. The textures on the bigger tanks get a little washed out when stretched but its all good.

Been playing with this today. Holy crap. Best Mod Ever. I want to retrofit all the other tanks with your code. I love how it reduces the part count and makes things customizable, but its not OP. I put them all in the tech tree way high up, your plan sounds good.

-Seyv

Probably just personal preference, but I prefer the fuel and texture switching supplied by Stretchy Tanks and I couldn't help noticing it's on a sharealike licence...

With this in mind I have been looking at his plugin and have started stripping it down for use with this mod. If you want to use it when I'm done I'd be more than happy to supply it to you (Just need to credit the original author and myself) but if not I'm happy to keep it for my own use :)

Probably just personal preference, but I prefer the fuel and texture switching supplied by Stretchy Tanks and I couldn't help noticing it's on a sharealike licence...

With this in mind I have been looking at his plugin and have started stripping it down for use with this mod. If you want to use it when I'm done I'd be more than happy to supply it to you (Just need to credit the original author and myself) but if not I'm happy to keep it for my own use :)

I prefer the one thats in this pack. Why do you like the strechy one better?

Tal i played around with it, no complains. The textures on the bigger tanks get a little washed out when stretched but its all good.

I noticed this as well. This can be fixed by raising the resolution of the large tank textures, but I decided to leave it as is in order to keep the mod size down as much as possible. Actually, the small tanks texture resolution could probably be lowered without being able to notice too much of a difference.

Been playing with this today. Holy crap. Best Mod Ever. I want to retrofit all the other tanks with your code. I love how it reduces the part count and makes things customizable, but its not OP. I put them all in the tech tree way high up, your plan sounds good.

Thanks for this! All the credit for the plugins goes to the original authors. All I did was cherry pick the plugins that would accomplish what I was looking for from a couple of my favorite mods and use them together to accomplish this.

I think that the major benefits to the plugins I used are that:

1) With Modular Fuels you can put any mix of any fuels into the tank. For example, you could have a single tank hold LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, and Monopropellant in any proportions you like or you could have separate tanks for each. Also, adding new fuels to the tanks is now just a matter of changing one resource config instead of changing each individual tank's config. It's a bit more flexible for customization, I feel.

2) This is just personal preference, but I prefer having a GUI to switch the texture rather than holding a key and clicking to change it. This can also be easily expanded to be able to switch both the band colors and the tank colors (if I ever get other textures for them made up) independent of each other.

I haven't really looked at the Stretchy Tanks plugin much, so I'm not completely aware of it's capabilities. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how it works when you're done though!

ironcross support is pretty much dead no update since .20 tac support would be nice

That won't be too hard. I'll grab his mod and add those resources to the storage tanks later today. This has been requested before, so I should have thought of it already.

Great update! The new design really cuts down on part clutter in the VAB.

One bug I noticed: the toroidal hubs don't appear to be placed in the tech tree.

Good catch. I was intending on adding them all to the heavier rocketry tier. I'll get that in the next update. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

First, thanks for this mod. I really like how you have updated it...

Next, is there a easy way to fill the tanks to some lesser amount, say 10% of 'full', but where it calculates the correct amounts based on that percentage??? I have been trying to do this, with first option, LF Oxi, and i dont see any 'automated' way to do this. I can do the calculations, but i was guessing that you might had put a automatic method in there somewhere.

if not, no problem... just checking.

and again, thanks.

Thanks NathanKell.... But maybe my question did not come over as i wanted. I have built a ship with one of the spherical tanks and engine. it has the correct ratio and amount for FULL tank. 17279/17279 LF and 21119/21119 Ox. I wish to knock this down to only be partially full, so i change the LF down to 10000/17279 and here is where i am looking for way to have it automatically adjust the Ox to the correct amount now that i have reduced the LF. I can get my calculator and compute what the 'new' amount of Ox should be, i was just wondering if there was a way to have it automatically adjust the amount of Ox base on the fact that the LF had been reduced.

I am guessing that it does not recalculate for this, and that the Update button only stores what has been entered....

Again, thanks for any help...

Minor update to the pack. Here's the changes:

v3.01 (minor update)

- Added toroidal hubs to career mode technology tree

- Added support for TAC Life Support mod resources to storage containers

Resources for TAC Life Support mod were balanced using the large cylindrical containers in Taranis Elsu's mod. (and thanks for the ok to add the resource support to my tanks!)

Edited by Talisar

Possible bug report: Totoidal tanks can only attach one side? ;.;

EDIT:

Before you even ask about attachment hubs, I'll ask you back: What attachment rubs?

Before you answer to that question with another question, I'll ask: Are attachment rubs unlocked separately from the tanks? Cause I didn't unlock (or see) any in the tech-tree so far...

Edited by AlmightyR

Possible bug report: Totoidal tanks can only attach one side? ;.;

EDIT:

Before you even ask about attachment hubs, I'll ask you back: What attachment rubs?

Before you answer to that question with another question, I'll ask: Are attachment rubs unlocked separately from the tanks? Cause I didn't unlock (or see) any in the tech-tree so far...

I forgot to integrate the hubs into the tech tree when I did the other parts. The update I put up yesterday fixed this. They'll be unlocked at the same level as the small and medium tanks (Heavier Rocketry). Sorry about that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.