[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

Bummer, I wanted to do Kethane tanks myself ;). Ah well, I'll make do with an MM patch config for Deadly Reentry. I need to update it for the new Kethane tanks, but I'll post it when I'm done (sometime today, I have some errands to run first).

Ok, the plans for my errands changed, so I got this done sooner than explected, but as promised, here are my ModuleManager patches to bring the maxTemps in line with Deadly Reentry 2. I've kept base and Kethane tanks separate.

base tank collection

kethane tank collection

Deadly Reentry expects the maxTemp (and heat production for engines) of all parts to be half of stock (eg, 1500 instead of 3000).

Talisar: if you wish to include these tweaks in your releases, be my guest.

No, there is only one texture pack, which I made because some people preferred the original simpler textures. The kethane tanks are in a separate pack which includes the models and textures for those tanks only so people who do not use that mod don't have useless items cluttering their parts inventory.

I wish more mod authors would resist the urge to put everything into one mod... gets tiresome having to always go in and delete the stuff utterly unrelated to the things I wanted... waste of bandwidth to have me download the other stuff in the first place. Please do keep things separate where it makes sense. :)

Ok, a problem with the kethane tanks: their capacities are too low. For whatever reason, a kethane tank can hold 2.5x as much kethane as the "same"* sized LFO tank holds LFO. This puts the expected capacities of the spherical kethane tanks at 96000, 12000, and 3555 (vs the current 27694, 3462, 1028).

* (only the KE-TL20 is the same length as the equivalent LFO tank (X200-16))

I wish more mod authors would resist the urge to put everything into one mod... gets tiresome having to always go in and delete the stuff utterly unrelated to the things I wanted... waste of bandwidth to have me download the other stuff in the first place. Please do keep things separate where it makes sense. :)

Yeah and I wish people would stop uploading stock craft crap to the Spaceport, but who gets everything they want hey? :)

Hmm, I had semi-missed the presence of the half spherical kethane tanks, so my suggested capacities are as follows:

1/2 small: 1777.5

1/2 medium: 6000

small: 3555

medium: 12000

large: 96000

I have added the small and medium full sphere tanks to my deadly reentry tweaks for the kethane tanks.

Ok, the plans for my errands changed, so I got this done sooner than explected, but as promised, here are my ModuleManager patches to bring the maxTemps in line with Deadly Reentry 2. I've kept base and Kethane tanks separate.

base tank collection

kethane tank collection

Deadly Reentry expects the maxTemp (and heat production for engines) of all parts to be half of stock (eg, 1500 instead of 3000).

Talisar: if you wish to include these tweaks in your releases, be my guest.

Thanks for doing that. I've looked at ModuleManager, but haven't had a chance to play with it. I added the links to your patches to the first post.

Frederf: I have yet to look at the modular fuel tank plugin. Deadly Reentry change are pretty trivial (just alter maxTemp). I can take a look, but I can't promise when.

Talisar: thanks. Both for the adjustments and the links.

Something doesn't add up here. With this huge tanker I'm not able to fill up the two big fuel tanks. Not doing any math here, just judging from the looks of it.

The two smaller spherical tanks of the station and the four half sphericals of the tanker are monoprop, so ignore.

VEupkJM.jpg

ml4BLiy.jpg

Given that we can see into the end of the center tank and see that it's a cylindrical shell containing spherical tanks, I assume the two outriggers are also spheres of roughly the same size as the normal sphere tank. By the looks of it there would be 3 tanks in the center section and 4 in each outrigger, plus the end caps that's 13. Given that doubling the dimensions of any closed 3D shape gives you eight times the volume, you would have on that tanker roughly 1.625 large tanks worth of fuel; Assuming that KW balanced their sections with the sphere tanks in mind, and by the same numbers as have been used here. It's a safer bet to assume they picked a number that sounded good and went with it.

Wouldn't be too hard to figure out if they used close to the same numbers, but I don't know the length of those 3.75m diameter KW tanks off the top of my head. I'm pretty confident that the numbers on the spherical tanks are in line with the stock parts though (that was pretty thoroughly worked on earlier in the thread :) )

Another thing. All of the radial mounts weigh 2.5t, even the small 0.625m one. Seems a bit heavy for what it does, clearly too heavy for the two smaller variants. As a reference, the stock 1.25m Radial Attachment point only weighs 0.04t. What do you say?

Another thing. All of the radial mounts weigh 2.5t, even the small 0.625m one. Seems a bit heavy for what it does, clearly too heavy for the two smaller variants. As a reference, the stock 1.25m Radial Attachment point only weighs 0.04t. What do you say?

Yeah, that's going to be fixed in the next update. I was making those for the Hab module that I'm working on, and added them to the tank pack at the last minute. I'm not especially happy with them though, so I'll probably end up re-making them from the ground up.

Yeah, that's going to be fixed in the next update. I was making those for the Hab module that I'm working on, and added them to the tank pack at the last minute. I'm not especially happy with them though, so I'll probably end up re-making them from the ground up.

I'd suggest making a smaller base to have a smaller footprint. Here are the stock part and your 1.25m radial mount. The stock part plays better when you attach it to another 1.25m wide part.

mHAGupc.jpg

Sorry for the large image.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.