My Best Circular Orbit

Nice, my best orbit had an eccentricity of about 800m. Here\'s a link to the ship I used if you want: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3037.0

It uses the exelsior engines so is basically cheating but it was just for fun not for simulation.

Anyway nice job getting that thing into orbit, looks pretty cool.

I just made my first orbit...The farthest part from Kearth was 300 km and the closest 120 km...It looked like an egg :D It seems hard to make a close to perfect orbit...

I\'ll give you a hint... Use the Orbital Calculator in Projects And Releases, rather than using the Orbital display.

My best is about +-100m. @90km Achieved by RCS burns. At that point the you really need more precision in the orbital map.

Parachute-Pod-L SP light decouple- RCS tank W Ring- SP decouple - SAS- Challenger Soyuz X4 W 4 SP small liquid.

Great little rocket, achieve orbit with one stage. Use RCS for adjustments and de-orbiting.

The most effective way is this:

Fire retrograde at either to apogee or the perigee to lower the opposite to your desired altitude. Then it is a matter of firing at your apogee with RCS or something really carefully to get the two almost exactly the same. That\'s how it\'s done in real life, and in Orbiter.

Periapsis: 174,628m

Apoapsis: 174, 695m

Using just just stock boosters and liquid rockets, no RCS. How does RCS help? I thought it just helps you rotate like the SAS?

Pretty much when approaching apoapsis fire directly down until until vertical velocity is 0, then when approaching periapsis fire directly up until velocity is 0.

Best done when half way between.

Periapsis: 174,628m

Apoapsis: 174, 695m

Using just just stock boosters and liquid rockets, no RCS. How does RCS help? I thought it just helps you rotate like the SAS?

Pretty much when approaching apoapsis fire directly down until until vertical velocity is 0, then when approaching periapsis fire directly up until velocity is 0.

Best done when half way between.

RCS has lateral controls silly. Check the key bindings in your menu :D

IJKL for left,right,up and down. H for forward and N for backwards. This is dependent upon your placement of RCS thrusters though. If they are not close to the CG, then the ship will spin around when you fire them. Make sure RCS is on too ®.

Firing your engines up or down in your orbit usually just distorts it in a way that makes it more elliptical. I guess it might work in KSP, but it doesn\'t in Orbiter.

RCS has lateral controls silly. Check the key bindings in your menu :D

:P So it does, I only ever took a brief look at bindings and that was before RCS was implemented.

Firing your engines up or down in your orbit usually just distorts it in a way that makes it more elliptical. I guess it might work in KSP, but it doesn\'t in Orbiter.

Couldn\'t firing up or down also counter elliptical the orbit (if that makes sense) if you distorted it at the right points? If you fire down half way between perigee to apogee, you lower apogee to about where you are. Then if you fire up when half way between apogee to perigee you raise perigee to about where you are. Keep doing this and they get closer and closer to each other.

No doubt this is an awful method in real life compared to how it\'s actually done.

Couldn\'t firing up or down also counter elliptical the orbit (if that makes sense) if you distorted it at the right points? If you fire down half way between perigee to apogee, you lower apogee to about where you are. Then if you fire up when half way between apogee to perigee you raise perigee to about where you are. Keep doing this and they get closer and closer to each other.

No doubt this is an awful method in real life compared to how it\'s actually done.

I suppose so. You may be right, I\'ve never tried it before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.