Doing things the fashioned way

TheThing345

So, I've been around before.19, where fuel tanks were completely different.

Now, since .19 fuel tanks have quite the limited capactity.

So most people build fancy stations and orbital refueling stations, but can't you just build one big rocket to go to any planet?

Or are these refueling stations more or less a must?

I already landed on the moon 2 times today (one a crash landing) with a rocket of quite the decent size but I ran out of fuel just as my landing gears touched the cheesy surface of the moon.

So yeah I'm quite the fashioned guy and haven't used these maneuver arrow things either yet.

Now, who's doing things like me?

Build one big rocket and take off, land, take off and parachute back on Kerbin.

No, because theoretically, the modeling will continue to improve. From what I've read, there's still a lot to do. For example, in vanilla, I believe, the control surfaces are either fully "on" or "off", so no trimming and the like. That's not going to stand.

So, yeah, I'll build a space station even though it probably isn't necessary at this point. One day it will be. :)

News to me, and I've been playing almost a year.

So most people build fancy stations and orbital refueling stations, but can't you just build one big rocket to go to any planet?

Yes, just like before docking came along, if you want.

Only if you want to avoid launching huge rockets.

I already landed on the moon 2 times today (one a crash landing) with a rocket of quite the decent size but I ran out of fuel just as my landing gears touched the cheesy surface of the moon.

Not sure what you mean by "decent size", but smaller is generally better. Big rockets are inherently less efficient.

So yeah I'm quite the fashioned guy and haven't used these maneuver arrow things either yet.

Those would help you a lot, in many ways, whether you're docking/refueling or doing it all in one big launch.

Sometimes, for simplicity. Especially on short missions to the Mun or Minmus. But if you're going interplanetary, trying to do it all with one launch becomes more challenging. It's still doable... we did, after all, do interplanetary missions before docking came to KSP... of course.

The most effective way of getting to Mun or minmus is to use one rocket with an lander, use the same pod to return to Kerbin. Most one way trips for anything the size of a medium base or smaller can also be done this way. However if you want to land on Duna or harder places you want an separate lander.

You can reach any planet relatively easily on just one rocket. However, you probably won't be able to return from places further afield than Duna, Ike or Gilly.

For example, in vanilla, I believe, the control surfaces are either fully "on" or "off", so no trimming and the like.

You can trim controls to have a constant input by using Alt + (WASDQE). Alt + X restores the trims to zero.

The game also supports analogue controls like joysticks, so you have the option of not using a digital-only keyboard. :)

I can construct Apollo style missions for Mun and Minimus pretty easily without my rockets being abominations or what I would generally consider behmoths. That said, no they aren't tiny little things. I generally use docking for anything else.

I can deffinitely do single launch rockets for Duna, but those are one way missions. For return capable manned missions for anything beyond Mun/Minimus, in my experience it either takes rockets beyond my general patients, ability or CPUs capabilities to construct/launch or else it takes assembling something in orbit.

I do/did use a refueling station in orbit, but that was usually just to top off a ship once fully assembled if it came up a little short. Right before .20 came out (I started from scratch on purpose) I did construct a Kerbin/Mun NERVA powered orbital ferry for taking base modules to the Mun as well as resupply for my Mun crane.

So I'd take the base module and extra fuel to Mun orbit. Refuel my Mun station and leave the module docked with the station and return the ferry back to Kerbin orbit and dock with the refueling station. I'd then refuel my orbital crane docked at the Mun station, attach my base module to it and then land it at my base. Launch the crane back to the Mun station, connect my base module to my base, rinse and repeat.

I only managed 3 iterations of this process before .20 came along (I was busy with a giant Jool station/mission when the .20 balloon came up).

I'll probably do it again at some point. I've only progressed to Mercury/Gemini missions at this point since restarting with .20. We'll, I've kind of skipped ahead and launched a very small station, but it is roughly Agena sized. Next I'll probably launch an actual Agena module and rendezvous with it, boost to a high orbit and then re-enter.

Then I'll probably add to my mini-station a small amount. Launch probes to the Mun and Minimus. Then Apollo missions (to Minimus as well). Then probe missions to other planets and moons. Then deorbit my mini station (or actually I might boost it to the Mun/Minimus or save it for another planet) and build a big station. Then do some orbital construction/rendezvous for manned missions to the other planets. By then .21 might be out and I might consider (or be required) to start again. Oh, there might be a really serious attempt at base construction on Duna and/or the Mun this time around.

You can trim controls to have a constant input by using Alt + (WASDQE). Alt + X restores the trims to zero.

The game also supports analogue controls like joysticks, so you have the option of not using a digital-only keyboard. :)

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.