How to... Flag

KillerMx1337

Hey everyone I made a video covering the main points for the new flag feature. All you really need to know is...

Flags must be 24 bit color depth PNG format;

They will be resized to 256 x 160; (So if it isn't it will be stretched or shrunk to fit.)

Finally Drop them in your folder at KSP_(insert OS)/GameData/Squad/Flags

"They also have to have a 24 bit colour depth. I made mine in GIMP and exported as a PNG, but it was a 32 bit PNG. Had no idea how to change it, tried messing with palettes and such, and then used another program (ACDSee, which I've used for years as an image display and quick photo-editing software) to resave it and it was automatically saved as a 24 bit file with no obvious loss of quality (bonus!). If you are using GIMP and having this problem, I'm not sure if other image editors would do the same, but you can try it. Maybe even MS Paint would do it as a quick conversion tool." - KerBlammo!

Have fun and happy capping some flags on planets.

Edited by KillerMx1337
More useful info, Thanks KerBlammo!

Has anyone figured out how to control the direction the flag goes up? Mine keep ending up pointed exactly at or exactly away from the sun, leaving them in shadow. Makes for sucky screenshots.

Your Kerbal always turns to his right to plant it, so you have to point him in some weird direction, then he will turn to his right and plant it.

Alright from my findings the flags only have 2 real positions that differ by roughly 180 degrees. Also if you try to plant two flags on each other the second flag just falls over onto the ground.

After some more testing that's my (very frustrating) experience too... Sometimes he turns to the left, sometimes to right, but the flags always end up paralell to each other with the only difference between them being the direction the fly is pointed.

They also have to have a 24 bit colour depth. I made mine in GIMP and exported as a PNG, but it was a 32 bit PNG. Had no idea how to change it, tried messing with palettes and such, and then used another program (ACDSee, which I've used for years as an image display and quick photo-editing software) to resave it and it was automatically saved as a 24 bit file with no obvious loss of quality (bonus!). If you are using GIMP and having this problem, I'm not sure if other image editors would do the same, but you can try it. Maybe even MS Paint would do it as a quick conversion tool.

Are you referring to the first letter of the file name? Because I have a few with upper-case first letters, and for the file extension that is purely in just my properties section of the picture files, I never put ".png" at the end of a file. But good info for those who do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.