[0.20] Kerpollo Mini mk2

02hoW6a.jpg

Download Craft File Here

Changes in mk2:

• First stage engines angled downward.
  • Ullage motors re-positioned for aesthetics.
  • Added many more action groups.
  • Added a little something for just before engine start.

0.20 is out, and I wanted to create another apollo-esque rocket.

This time, I made a lander with a thrust-to-weight ratio approximately equal to that of the real moon lander. It also has only just enough fuel in the descent stage to land. There is extremely little margin for error (and that's based off of my flying). What does this mean for the majority of you reading this? You will die. But don't let that put you off. If you're able to land it, you can consider yourself to be an expert pilot.

I will not tell you how to fly an ascent to orbit or how to land on the Mun. It is not my job to hold your hand or to comfort you when you run out of fuel before landing. There are, however, a few action groups I should go over.

Action Keys:

• Action key 1: Configures the ship for launch. Extends the radio antennae and locks the gimbal on the poodle engine.
  • Action key 2: Decouples the lander docking port from the CSM to allow the turn-around-and-dock maneuver.
  • Action key 3: Decouples the lander from the TMI stage.
  • Action key 4: Decouples the CSM's engine shroud.
  • Action key 5: Undocks the lander from the CSM and activates the lander's engines.
  • Action key 6: Engine shutdown of the lander.
  • Action key 7: Undocks the lander's ascent stage from the CSM.
  • Action key 8: Decouples the command pod from the CSM.
  • Action key 9: Deploys parachutes.
  • Action key backspace (abort): Launches the command pod from the rest of the ship via the launch escape tower for a launch abort. Shuts down lander engines, activates engines on ascent stage, and decouples descent stage for a Mun landing abort.

• Action key 0: Jettisons the launch escape tower.

Below are some pictures and also a video to give you hope.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/02hoW6a,FEl7BfE,D6WynZ1,hmBY7yj,UJJ2JGR,k5ol3tJ,K4SrLZt,rVAi6DJ,NxueG9Y,TNB73bi,Guljeoy,NzQeF0v,Sfg3Hie,ToiOdud,GpvtFYR,brDnj3y,XL1xZOf,lyo6MSs

Here is also a livestream I did with this craft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EXoxiI_vqs

Good luck, pilots!

Edited by Kosmo-not

I had to do this. the TWR of the real Moon lander was ~0.3 I believe - in KSP, it has almost always been an order of magnitude greater for the ships I've used.

it was quite challenging, the descent stage fuel ran out just a bit before touchdown, so I had to use the ascent stage to come down to a landing:

this in turn meant not having enough fuel for a rendezvous - I lacked about 20 m/s to brake when coming towards the service module, so I bailed out and used the EVA suit.

http://imgur.com/a/EqFOH#0

I classify the mission as a partial success (hey, I got home safely :))

thanks for sharing this.

I had to do this. the TWR of the real Moon lander was ~0.3 I believe - in KSP, it has almost always been an order of magnitude greater for the ships I've used.

it was quite challenging, the descent stage fuel ran out just a bit before touchdown, so I had to use the ascent stage to come down to a landing:

this in turn meant not having enough fuel for a rendezvous - I lacked about 20 m/s to brake when coming towards the service module, so I bailed out and used the EVA suit.

http://imgur.com/a/EqFOH#0

I classify the mission as a partial success (hey, I got home safely :))

thanks for sharing this.

I think we're all too used to having landers with 10x more thrust. I've landed this a few times, and I find it a challenge every time.

I should slap a mechjeb unit on the lander to see what happens (I bet it will crash).

I think we're all too used to having landers with 10x more thrust. I've landed this a few times, and I find it a challenge every time.

I should slap a mechjeb unit on the lander to see what happens (I bet it will crash).

for a while, I considered the idea of "cheating" by using the SM engine to do the Mun deorbit burn and save some delta-v on the lander :)

anyway, yes it seems to me that Mechjeb isn't that efficient for landing.

P.S. could we see a you perform a low TWR Tylo landing? ;)

Edited by Francesco

P.S. could we see a you perform a low TWR Tylo landing? ;)

That will have to wait a few weeks (going on vacation after my graduation). I will definitely look into it when I get back.

Yep, that lander is quite the challenge. I'll have to try it again when I have more time. Also, there was a slight inefficiency in your booster stage, as the nozzles are angled outward slightly. I love this thing! It's like the ultimate test of "can you do this?"!

I love this rocket! Cant fly it to the Mun and back to save my life but I love the design.

p.s. anyone with KSPX can swap the lander engines for the radial version, it looks a bit neater that way.

p.p.s. Why do you lock the gimbal on the poodle? Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, that lander is quite the challenge. I'll have to try it again when I have more time. Also, there was a slight inefficiency in your booster stage, as the nozzles are angled outward slightly. I love this thing! It's like the ultimate test of "can you do this?"!

The new version has the engines angled down now.

I love this rocket! Cant fly it to the Mun and back to save my life but I love the design.

p.s. anyone with KSPX can swap the lander engines for the radial version, it looks a bit neater that way.

p.p.s. Why do you lock the gimbal on the poodle? Just curious.

I lock the gimbal on the poodle to have the ASAS not wobble the craft so much. The vectoring on the small engines provide enough maneuverability.

You call that mini?

Showoff :P

hey Kosmo, there seems to be a problem with the new version: without ASAS enabled, the rocket will do a weird pitch (or yaw) and roll maneuver right after liftoff, and I can't understand why.

also, you forgot to remove the Kerbal engineer chip :)

P.S. now that you can attach stuff to launchpad clamps, you could make it more scenic by adding lights:

AouP0J4.png

hey Kosmo, there seems to be a problem with the new version: without ASAS enabled, the rocket will do a weird pitch (or yaw) and roll maneuver right after liftoff, and I can't understand why.

also, you forgot to remove the Kerbal engineer chip :)

P.S. now that you can attach stuff to launchpad clamps, you could make it more scenic by adding lights:

I will fix that problem right away. Thanks for letting me know. I might as well add the launchpad lights while I'm at it ;).

Also, I don't know what it causing the rolling in the first stage. There is no reason to disable the ASAS at launch anyway.

Everything is up-to-date now.

Edited by Kosmo-not

• 4 months later...