Soyuz Lifter, No Payload [AKA "The Headless Horseman"]

When it comes to craft designs, I'm a bit obsessed with making Russian Soyuz-style rockets. This obsession began in .19, and it continues on in .20 with the aid of a very useful new feature: the ability to replace command pods on craft.

I present, The Soyuz "Headless Horseman":

3MIOwH4.png

Now, you can place any payload on top of the craft, manned or unmanned. The possibilities are endless, so long as they fall within the weight limitations of the craft (which I have yet to thoroughly test).

No payload.

vZcjzIt.jpg

Soyuz replica payload.

tZ8ohL7.jpg

Action Groups

1 - Lock Gimbals on boosters. This is vital, otherwise the craft will wobble out of control with ASAS.

Craft File

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6472509/Soyuz%20Lifter.craft

More images here:

http://imgur.com/a/QNanQ

I hope you all like it, and look forward to seeing others' interesting payloads.

Edited by GusTurbo

My lifter was able to put this guy into orbit:

W5Zd71O.png

The only real issue was that the payload was too heavy, so I ended up having to use more than half its fuel to actually attain orbit. If I could have less fuel, but keep the same form-factor, it would be perfect.

The orbital module (the round part on top) was made but attaching intake scoops around the 1-kerbal lander can. I used a similar approach on my small .19 Soyuz.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm working on making my own Soyuz (First rocket Im trying to make to look good purely.) and I was wondering if I could use this ones launcher as a base? I really cant get the slanted rockets right on my own :( If I were to ever upload it Id definitely give you proper credit.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the updated version. This one is more accurate because it doesn't have fuel crossfeed. Craft file to follow soon.

K9YPy95.png

One of my goals was to make it more efficient by having the booster engines face perpendicular to the ground instead of being at an angle. This also puts it more in-line with the real thing.

Edited by GusTurbo

hmm ? - there's no fairings around the Block I engines... just the latticework which stays with the core stage. the engines are supposed to lightly protrude under the Block I hull. (they do that so the block I can be ignited before the core stage burnout to prevent the need for ullage) - and the engines are so tightly packed inside the hull it would be hazardous to jettison a part of the hull - you'd risk damaging the engines.

Soyuz is not Saturn :P it's Saturn which jettison it's ullage ring shortly after the second stage ignition.

here's one of the soyuz Ascent profiles for a real TMA mission :)

T −:00 Lift-off

T +1:10 Booster velocity is 500 meters/second

T +1:58 Stage 1 (strap-on boosters) separation

T +2:00 Booster velocity is 1500 m/sec

T +2:40 Escape tower & launch shroud jettison

T +4:58 Core booster separates at 170 kilometers, Third stage ignites

T +7:30 Velocity is 6000 m/sec

T +9:00 Third stage cut-off Soyuz separates, Antennas and solar panels deploy, Flight control switches to TsUP (Moscow Mission Control Center), Korolev

Edited by sgt_flyer

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.