With the seat, we can easily give a EVA transportation tools to kerbols

EVA is veryyyyyyyyyy slow

I was wondering can a kerbol ride on segway or bicycle or something like that to move faster

story.segway.cnn.jpg

so I use the seat to build a small rover

it is quite well equipped, have spare seat for rescue/escape , light and lot of batteries

I think a more simple rover can be lighter

c7uDwVa.jpg?1

add a "airdrop package" if you need to drop it on midair

BJEaXdH.jpg?1

for my ship design, I can't put the rover on landing stage, so I put it on descending stage, drop it when the ship very close to ground and vertical descending

I put two rover for balance and backup, those rover with struct only add 4t weight to the ship, it is neglectable for interplanetary ship

0CsIoB4.jpg?1

lets see if it works

what planet are you sending them too?

my first target is duna

of course if the ship go to plants/moons that no atmosphere present, the rover must attach on landing stage and land it together :)

The seat is really practical ... I made a truely miniature rover that replaced the 5th poodle engine, I had below my middle fuel tank.

Here the link to a small gallery with the tiny rover attached below the lander and being in action:

http://imgur.com/ySVOwFd,YAtcI2X,FFJTkUr#0

I have done a new version however that uses the new middle sized wheels (that are supposed to have a better grip to the surface in low grav environments) and is currently undergoing testing ... maybe it might allow higher speed before being in danger of toppling.

Unfortunately I had to replace the round battery with a big square battery pack and 2 small packs in order for the wheels to fit (I am working with extreme size contraints in order for the rover to fit under ther lander, therefore I couldn´t afford the rover to get wider :D )

but fortunately, after my experiences with Rover 1, thanks to the hilly munar landscape I spend more time braking than accelerating while driving on Mun :D

Has anyone made Drop Pods similar to ODST pods for Kerbals yet? I really wan't to see that...

Wouldn't that be the Command Pod Mk1 with a parachute or retro-rockets? those things are just pyramidal cans with a seat and some instrumentation.

Very cool :) I have similiar, if slightly smaller rover project. Now i have to find a way to deliver it to Mun and Minmus. Parachutes obviously won't work there, and rovers are so small that skycrane must be tiny too.

Seeing those graphics make me realize how primitive the machine (laptop) I'm using is...those really looks nice. I wonder if I can do that on Eve, hmmm. I did put a tiny rover on Gilly, and here's Jeb trying his best to drive it...the only way was to bring along two tiny radial thrusters pointed up, so it pushes the rover against Gilly for traction, but the fuel will eventually run out LOL

screenshot128q.png

And yes, it finally did come to a halt. So now Jeb just has to wait for the rescue squad (if any, LOL).

screenshot132h.png

So yeah, I love those seats :D

Edited by rodion_herrera

From the rover megathread, my creation:

rover2-1_zpsb1b1e8aa.jpgrover2-2_zps742834bf.jpg

As it lacks wheels, this is not so much a rover as a sled. Built for environments with very low or microgravity ("zero gee"), it's intended to greatly extend the range and endurance of the kerbonaut's own jetpack. On small bodies like Minmus, it can carry the pilot much further and faster than a conventional rover which must struggle for traction.

rover2-3_zps9286bf0b.jpgrover2-4_zpsee9a20ef.jpg

Even with recent improvements, the RCS Sled still requires a skilled pilot with both hands free (one for the pitch and yaw controls, the other for the RCS quads). And while it allows for greater speeds and range, it also increases the possibility of mishap for a careless operator.

RCS Sled

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.