Mun Candidates.

derhp

Now the lander has two tanks of fuel, and fins to land on. Now I can shut everything down when I land, even on a slight slope.

How did you land with so much fuel intact , still cant manage a slow enough approach to do that, do RCS help at all on the mun ? (to me RCS was kind of pointless weight so far)

Depends on how many jets you have. I only had 8 RCS on a rather heavy lander so it wasn\'t enough to liftoff again (yes, I finally managed to land last night). I still had plenty of fuel in the engine, though, and took off in the correct direction to cancel much of my angular momentum and come back safely to Kerbin.

This was built with Silisko Edition 0.7. I haven\'t built a craft with 0.8 yet.

How did you land with so much fuel intact , still cant manage a slow enough approach to do that, do RCS help at all on the mun ? (to me RCS was kind of pointless weight so far)

I only use RCS for fine control, that lander only has six RCS blocks. I actually get to the Mun with around 2 tanks of fuel left in my TMI stage. This landing used even less fuel than a normal one since my original trajectory basically would have smashed me into the mun right where I landed. I just did a slight plane change (is that what it is called on an escape trajectory?) to put the path in the middle of the crater. I use the remaining fuel in the TMI stage to aim my landing and slow down as much as I can, as low as I can. Then I eject it and continue down on the lander stage.

On the topic of RCS, I have my miracle ship, built using only Silisko edition. it is proof that Nova\'s RCS is overpowered because I got to the Mün with it. It\'s around 3m tall and 1.5m wide. It can get to the Mün before the MET gets over 00:00:01.

Picture 1 is a view in orbit around the Mün.

Picture 2 is just after it landed, still skidding pretty fast.

Picture 3 is when it came to a complete stop.

Picture 4 is the first second of the mission timer.

Picture 5 is a view after the 'rover' was decoupled.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flixxbeatz

Just landed my Disaster Module yesterday, after several attempts. It\'s supposed to be a 2-way trip, but something went wrong...

due to lack of lighting (since I landed on the darkside), I overestimated my distance from the surface, so I ended up firing the descent engine even that I\'ve touched down already. I made it, but then it tipped to its side - tried some recovery maneuvers but unsuccessful, making a return trip impossible.

KSP2011-11-3021-16-04-66-1.jpg

I might redo this concept in Silisko edition, and add some crucial parts. :)

Been working on a new unique concept right now.

I can\'t understand why this thread just died all of a sudden... :-[

Guest Flixxbeatz

You should have just put on full throtle and enjoyed the ride.

Now that\'s Kerbal. 8)

Anyway, I\'ve redone that particular Munar Module in my other copy of KSP (Silisko Edition with tons of mods). I ended up with a much more compact and effective concept than its predecessor :D

The Candidate:

KSP2011-12-0420-32-51-17.jpg

The Victory:

KSP2011-12-0420-13-49-47.jpg

The Comeback:

KSP2011-12-0420-31-00-99.jpg

Hi guys

I\'d like to share my reasonable looking completely stock parts Mun rocket.

I didn\'t used any legs, so landing is very tricky, I had to leave RCS and ASTS on so it doesn\'t flop over.

I maded it back with a quarter of a tank left, so I think I can probably take a few SRB off and still make it!

-KT-

Hi guys

I\'d like to share my reasonable looking completely stock parts Mun rocket.

I didn\'t used any legs, so landing is very tricky, I had to leave RCS and ASTS on so it doesn\'t flop over.

I maded it back with a quarter of a tank left, so I think I can probably take a few SRB off and still make it!

-KT-

Try winglets on radial decouplers, they work pretty well.

Try winglets on radial decouplers, they work pretty well.

Yeah I tried that except that they + SAS over corrects, which makes my rocket wobble a bit during take off. It\'s not a big deal, but I don\'t want my rocket to wobble!

Guest Flixxbeatz

Anyway, here\'s my continued Munar Mission Log (continued from my other post here somewhere):

Mun 6- Speed-altitude ratio incorrectly estimated, crash landed vertically. (Disaster MK.II)

Mun 7- Everything went fine,

(Unnamed MSL-Style Lander Concept)

Mun 8 - Landed, but tipped over.

(Disaster MK.II)

Mun 9 - Supposed to be a successful landing.

(Disaster MK.III)

Mun 10 -

(Disaster MK.III)

I\'m planning for one more phase (1 phase = 5 missions) before I\'ll start to do some munar exhibition maneuvers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a rover, unfortunately there is no good way to keep track of how much fuel you have left, it\'s fast though.

Managed to get off the pad

gMxq1.jpg

Driving around.

z4a94.jpg

Well great....I managed to drop the first RCS tank after the command pod

TdTfl.jpg

Speed run

Note: This rover is completely RCS powered.

1FUJz.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.