Mun Candidates.

derhp

That\'s why I got a Kerbin Departure Module and a rechargeable Multipurpose (Orbital, Capture, Correction, Braking, 4-in-1) Module. I might as well transform it into a roughly circular orbit around 12000km mark... been doing practice missions already :D

Also, it\'s not a pure direct ascent, I started to naturally lean my rocket as soon as the SRBs were jettisoned :)

my ork-styled rocket packs big power and flies like a brick most of the time, as all orkish rokketz do.

I should re-texture it to make it look even more orkish, i guess. ;)

Well, everyone has their own strategy to go there. I actually do some maneuvers to place myself in a special orbit in preparation of the capture.

And by special, I mean this:

KSP2011-10-3019-04-48-12.jpg

I might change strategy if necessary. :)

this is the only strategy, it just depend how far will Mun be and how much mass it will have, to know how much fuel you need for breaking and transfering for Mun orbit, than leave it and break again to Kerth

it will be so fun :D

Well... scrapped my last rocket candidate, and killed the designers to it as well.

Currently, just working on designs for Munar survey till lander parts are vanilla. The Deimos family is proven to be quite successful. The first successfully doing a large elliptical orbit up to 14000km high and returning safely while the second variant increasing the payload with successfully getting a large quantity of fuel (around 3-4 tanks) to the same distance. Each rocket able to land in visual distance of the launch site.

Not wobbling like that, wobbling as in cartwheeling through space.

Needs more SAS and/or RCS, then. Also try throttling down. Some rockets will be unstable under thrust, but kept stable due to the atmosphere until you are in space. (Alternately, find some way to use up your lower stages more quickly so only the easier-to-stabilize upper stages are left once you reach space ;P)

Here\'s the ship that I think will be able to take me to the mun:

All I can can think of right now as a name for it is: Kapollo 100. But I might change that later.

Anyway, here\'s some pics of a practice flight I did with it (I\'m not going to fly straight up like I did in the pics when I actually try to get to the moon but do it the proper way).

Liftoff:

screenshot15.png

Entering Kerbin orbit:

screenshot18.png

Getting escape velocity:

screenshot19.png

Entering mun orbit:

screenshot21.png

Stage Separation:

screenshot23.png

Mun landing:

screenshot26.png

Stage Separation:

screenshot27.png

Ascent:

screenshot28.png

Reentry:

screenshot35.png

Stage Separation:

screenshot38.png

Kerbin landing:

screenshot51.png

Landed!:

screenshot52.png

Stats:

screenshot56.png

Any thoughts on it?

Guest Flixxbeatz

this is the only strategy, it just depend how far will Mun be and how much mass it will have, to know how much fuel you need for breaking and transfering for Mun orbit, than leave it and break again to Kerth

it will be so fun :D

Not the only one, actually. There are other possible ways, with some much more complex than the other.

I actually have a backup strategy incase :D

well, the easiest way to get to the Klena(a.k.a. Mun) is getting into low orbit and increasing it without significant consumption of fuel. This is the easiest way, but if it\'s gonna be nessecary i can just boost through gravitation field and atmosphere without orbiting(though i\'ll lose at least 2.5 out of 3 tanks of fuel). Yes, this way is more kerbalish(and even kinda orkish) but it isn\'t as efficient as orbiting.

I DID IT!!! :D :D :D :D

I finally built a ship capable of getting to the moon, land, and probably get back with only vanilla parts. Here it is, it pretty much turns my game into a slideshow though.

mviNJ.png

The first ignition ignites 15 LFE\'s which burn for about 3:00, the next set of engine gets you almost to an orbit, then the boosters get you into a LEO, half a tank of fuel pushes your apokee all the way out to 12,000-13,000km.

Here is my Munar orbiter candidate... KSP R&D haven\'t figured out a nice way to land yet, so I ain\'t trying yet. (Plus, I like to keep a vanilla build.)

Behold, the Deimos II:

JY4c0.png

Take off:

YsxjN.png

After initial launch stage separation:

THY4D.png

Separation of second portion of initial launch, commencing orbiting procedure:

lshnq.png

Finishing orbit:

XJx02.png

lzVvD.png

Commencing burn to Munar orbit:

sHufZ.png

Munar orbiter stage seperates:

v7A7u.png

3GlgM.png

At this altitude, the orbiter will position itself in a orbit around the moon. (Projected to take 0.25-0.5 tank of fuel.)

Munar returns to Kearth orbit: (Projected 0.35-0.75 tank of fuel.)

Return to an orbit around Kearth:

cW7Mo.png

Plot reentry around the KSP center:

n57rq.png

(The whole rentry orbit and burn-out took only 0.5-0.6 of a tank.)

Landing pod seperation:

p66BW.png

Final stats:

vJVdb.png

Actually landed in the lake behind the center. Near the center of the picture.

6GPyq.png

I finally built a ship capable of getting to the moon, land, and probably get back with only vanilla parts. Here it is, it pretty much turns my game into a slideshow though.

mviNJ.png

The first ignition ignites 15 LFE\'s which burn for about 3:00, the next set of engine gets you almost to an orbit, then the boosters get you into a LEO, half a tank of fuel pushes your apokee all the way out to 12,000-13,000km.

That\'s extreme over kill. Plan your trip right and you can get there with a pretty small rocket.

That\'s extreme over kill. Plan your trip right and you can get there with a pretty small rocket.

I know, but the lander I\'m sending is huge. And I\'m not doing much planning, it\'s mostly just 'strap as many tanks and engines on as I can'

How far is the moon expected to be from Kerbal?

Anyone know how to fly a free return trajectory, or how to do a Trans Lunar Injection?

Kerbal Orbit Rendezvous, Lunar Orbit Rendezvous, or Direct Assent?

Which will be the first to try and which has the best chance of success?

What about getting back to Kerbal? How much delta-v to get back HOME?

RRs

'Land a Kerbalite on the Mun and return him safely to Kerbal'

mviNJ.png

Jesus, Mary and Joseph Kerman. This monster looks like it could get my whole munar rocket to the sun and back! Is it even steerable under lag?

But i gotta admit... it\'s pretty KERBAL!

Moon is expected to me ~13.5Mm from Kerbin.

HarvesteR\'s moon ascent method is 'Orbit, wait for Mun to appear on the horizon, then boost like hell towards it.'

Docking isn\'t implemented yet, so it\'s direct ascent all the way.

Mun escape velocity is, if I recall, 860m/s. Getting home shouldn\'t take a ton more than that.

How far is the moon expected to be from Kerbal?

Anyone know how to fly a free return trajectory, or how to do a Trans Lunar Injection?

Kerbal Orbit Rendezvous, Lunar Orbit Rendezvous, or Direct Assent?

Which will be the first to try and which has the best chance of success?

What about getting back to Kerbal? How much delta-v to get back HOME?

RRs

'Land a Kerbalite on the Mun and return him safely to Kerbal'

those are nice questions, my only guess how to reach Mun is to make ecliptical orbit with Ap so far as the Mun will be - best past him in few meters, then reach Ap and strart breaking until it will be so slow that gravitation field of Mun will start forcing you and you be able to make nice orbit around Mun and than back similar way

i have only one problem with this :)

need to calculate that when i\'ll reach Ap, the Mun will be there

cose i supose it will be orobiting around Kerth :)

and now idea come to my mind - to orbit around Kerth in same distance as Mun and than reach it slowly - but here is more fuel needed

anyway ... it will be fun :D

i have only one problem with this :)

need to calculate that when i\'ll reach Ap, the Mun will be there

cose i supose it will be orobiting around Kerth :)

From what I\'ve read in the dev thread - Mun will indeed orbit Kerbin. As for being where Mun is at the same time - well, that is one of the reasons elliptical orbit is better than direct ascent - if you miss the Mun, you can try again :)

Anyway, I fear it will take many a Kerbal life to mount a successful Mun mission :)

in that case am i right that the best method is archieving a eliptic equatorial orbit and then wait until you can chase the Mun with a tiny burn, then do a smaller braking burn for Mun orbit?

here are my thoughts:

aproach.png

see the problem is .... in time your vessel will reach Ap, Mun will be gone

this is low consumption very precisely planed trip

other way ..... just round same orbit as Mun ... and reach it, but this will be lots of burning corecting

or you can make same orbit as Mun in distance .... and time up intersection :D

anyway it WILL be fun :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.