Mun Candidates.

derhp

Lol everyone here and their oversized rockets.

I\'m getting there in this- obviously gonna give it some landing features later, but i\'ve gotten to the Sun with it after using only 2/3s of the first stage after accidently ditching it. At the Sun with at least 1/2 the fuel from the last stage left. Oh yeah.

If you want to land, you\'ll need more weight up top. Then you\'ll need more fuel to account for the weight, then more fuel to account for the fuel, etc. Also, 'Lol everyone here and their oversized rockets.' isn\'t exactly constructive feedback.

This is my finalised vehicle. Hairies V is ready for the mun.

My plan of attack is to insert the vehicel into a 80,000m cirular orbit while I wait for my mun intercept window, then burn to my intercept velocity and, hopefully, insert myself into orbit around the mun. Once there I\'ll detach the lander plus RCS tanks and use whatever fuel they have left to skim off some speed. Then I drop the RCS tank and descend in Nova\'s lander.

I\'m still iffy about the ascent, and de-orbiting stage, I don\'t think I have quite enough fuel. However with proper throttle control I think it might possible to use the one tank to get me off the mun and home again.

rzR0J.jpg3EpP5.jpg

Now, to make a Silisko-KSP MunVehicle and lander.

Here is my candidate (or I later find out the first of my family of candidates): The Selphi class rockets

This is the MK1

dclkw.png

Using stock vanilla parts only is a bit of a challenge... especially on the lander part. The MK 1 however, on the first run was able to get in orbit with the space vehicle having 1.75 tanks of liquid fuel left. However, this is only due to error since the lander legs (boosters) fired at the wrong time.

With out the misfire, it doesn\'t achieve the orbit, so back to the drawing board but I attend to keep the same style to the design.

Testing my munar ship with adequate size launcher (about 2 times smaller launcher than in previous version. Almost sane framerate of 1 fps). After getting to LKO interplanetary stage\'s reserve 2,7 LFE - should be enough for Munar insertion and killing most of the speed before engaging the lander. The only problem with the launch was that 'let\'s gently turn this thing by 45 degrees' ended with 405 degree turn and almost empty RCS tanks. Will put gimbals on it.

Mmm, seen my new Munar lander? It\'s bigger than the old one. slightly

I overshot the Mun\'s location in space while in orbit and then flew past again and crashed into Kerbin. I think it works.

I\'ll upload a pic when KSP loads. Yay 1000 mod loading time.

6o3676.png

zemxK.jpg

On the Pad with gantries.

XqSzP.jpg

Liftoff of the Juturn VI!

hU82Z.png

In flight

VMyf9.png

5gMTG.png

First Stage separation

2TdNS.png

Burning into orbit

tK62U.png

Second stage separation (for Orbital adjustment, and fine tuning the TLI)

Time warp raped the shit out my rocket.:downs:

So for these I just lifted off the pad and jettisoned everything.

4wBRU.jpg

TXsJE.jpg

Lander fairing pre and post-separation.

HT1cy.jpg

lEXA6.jpg

Landing...

ywIiB.jpg

Touchdown!

AddMG.jpg

Ascent stage uses

cfg edited

RCS and the Vixen

tqcQl.jpg

Results of me pressing T instead of R and forgetting to turn SAS back on until its too late.

Overall, I\'m quite happy for it. Although the first stage needs a bit of fine piloting to keep straight up.

I present to you, my least exploding most reliable, and in my opinion the coolest, ship to-date: The Farseer-Enigma

Farseer section is my first attempt at a lightweight standardized IP craft - thats the orange fuel tank and up

The Enigma launch vehicle probably is inefficient, oversized, and just a bit crazy, but it works well enough and has enough power to get the Farseer to LKO or even further.

The lander itself needs some fine-tunning possibly,as im fairly sure landing on boosters is a BAD idea, but i dont have any legs for it atm and i was lazy tuning up the whole contraption first, finished and tested it just now :-D

Behold the monster!

lf33W.jpg

Guest Flixxbeatz

My IMPROVED module: the Disaster Mk.II

screenshots and details coming soon

Probably the last one of my chain of Munar Modules.

Tweaked it alot, replaced some parts, and minimized its size further. replaced lander pegs with Quabits\'s small LFTs and LFEs for stability, at the cost of making it much wider (can only fit in a 3m PLF set now)

The whole Munar Module

KSP2011-10-2918-59-39-42.jpg

Without the Kerbin Departure Moule

KSP2011-10-2918-58-03-92.jpg

The rocket: FLX Orbitron M (upsized variant of my Epikon LV family)

KSP2011-10-2920-00-39-35.jpg

So, i was designing my Lunar lander for quite a long time, after hundreds of thousands fails i\'ve finally built stable rocket. It\'s capable of breaking through the gravity of earth without orbiting. The codename of the project is Big Poppa IV

Here are the screens:

fec12680507b.jpg

40b44556557d.jpg

1ade65104760.jpg

bca48a5e8d2a.jpg

0e4d47e7eaae.jpg

dfd4165c6a17.jpg

The second stage has the most fuel, so there\'s enough fuel to get moon lander to teh moon and the moon lander has enough fuel too, so it can escape moon\'s gravity and return back to kerbin.

Oh well, if i won\'t decouple them untill i reach 17 km, they\'ll tear my rocket apart(they start to spin like mad when the fuel is almost out). BTW they\'re good duct taped to the sides of the rocket, that makes them less dangerous. :)

well, i\'ve managed to land it, but it\'s kind of weak for kerbin gravitation level. I had to be careful, \'cause it could just do a couple of barrel rolls after the landing. Though upper lander was designed for kerbin atmosphere and gravity, and can land perfectly anywhere, it\'s very light, that\'s why it can land anywhere with little effort and it\'s tiny enginie.

to be honest, 9 of 10 landings were failed. I hope that\'s not gonna happen with munar gravitation. :-X

Guest Flixxbeatz

well, i\'ve managed to land it, but it\'s kind of weak for kerbin gravitation level. I had to be careful, \'cause it could just do a couple of barrel rolls after the landing. Though upper lander was designed for kerbin atmosphere and gravity, and can land perfectly anywhere, it\'s very light, that\'s why it can land anywhere with little effort and it\'s tiny enginie.

As long as it won\'t go horizontally while landing, it\'s all fine. Now there\'s one problem remaining: Killing horizontal velocity in preparation of a munar landing (if we\'re gonna do it on the actual thing).

I\'ve got this:

http://youtu.be/UgJtBbln8fw

But getting that entire moon land thing up to 15kk is a bit of a challenge. :L

Nice landing there. Try

for further testing :)

Guest Flixxbeatz

well, that\'s the biggest problem i have to deal with at the moment. That\'s the reason why 90% of my landings were failed.

Everyone\'s problem, I guess...

RCS modules can help a lot with the killing of horizontal velocity; IJKL are your friends!

Problem I\'m getting is keeping the entire lander from falling over on anything except dead flat terrain while keeping Delta V high enough to drag it all home again (Yeah making things more difficult by insisting on a fully reusable lander).

Really need some blister fuel tanks or something. Half metre parts maybe??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.