Mun Candidates.

derhp

Guest Flixxbeatz

My Munar Mission Log:

Mun 1- Slammed into Mun\'s surface at high speed.

Mun 2- Slammed into Mun\'s surface at high speed.

Mun 3- Slammed into Mun\'s surface at high speed.

Mun 4- Failed to kill horizontal velocity, hovered until crashed.

Mun 5-

Pity me. Needs more practice, but I\'ll land my thing there soon :D

My Munar Mission Log:

Mun 5-

That last stage got scared and wanted to go home. :<

My Munar Mission Log:

Mun 5-

At least you got to the Mun. I\'ve only managed to get within 100,000m of it twice. Closest was 67k. Then it catapults me into solar orbit/I crash while not looking on the Orbit screen.

y u do this to me

At least you got to the Mun. I\'ve only managed to get within 100,000m of it twice. Closest was 67k. Then it catapults me into solar orbit/I crash while not looking on the Orbit screen.

y u do this to me

Really?

I have never failed to get to the mun in all my tries. I have done direct ascent and burn after orbit. Obviously, burn after orbit stabilization is the easiest way as it allows you to choose the best time to begin your burn based on the ships parameters. It also requires no additional vector. DA requires you to insure your vector is correct. If you are just thinking that you can make your orbit the same as the mun and get there. Then, you have a misunderstanding of orbital mechanics.

The idea is to begin your burn just before the mun appears on the horizon. You do not need to reach escape velocity. You want your apogee to be such that you have very little total velocity when you are captured by the mun\'s gravity. You should be much further away than 100k and a low enough velocity that you don\'t waste a ton of fuel slowing down or even run out.

I\'m pretty convinced nova\'s pack is 'where it\'s at' as far as packs go. Having a lot of fun making vehicles with barely enough DV to get the job done. This one made it to the mun, without going over 130m/s for the first 15000m.

LFE lights first, big SRBs light to get it off the pad, little SRBs air start after jettisoning launch SRBs.

The double length fuel tank are Silisko compliant ;)

EI8YH.jpgYEgte.pngF8Y0w.jpg

Guest Flixxbeatz

y u do this to me

going near it was easy. landing is a totally different story.

Alpha programs was canceled but the Bravo program is doing much better. Finally got a baby that can make it there. Now I just need some quiet time to practice my staging. Last time I was on my way and forgot to turn retrograde before dropping the panels off my lander. Sheared off a booster and started spinning uncontrollably. :P

I THINK I\'ll have enough delta-v left after landing to get myself back into a Kerbin-intersecting orbit. Gonna try again tonight when I get home.

(requires KSP Silisko edition)

Alpha programs was canceled but the Bravo program is doing much better. Finally got a baby that can make it there. Now I just need some quiet time to practice my staging. Last time I was on my way and forgot to turn retrograde before dropping the panels off my lander. Sheared off a booster and started spinning uncontrollably. :P

I THINK I\'ll have enough delta-v left after landing to get myself back into a Kerbin-intersecting orbit. Gonna try again tonight when I get home.

(requires KSP Silisko edition)

Getting back to Kerbin is even doable with RCS if you have a very light lander module.

I have been able to get to the moon for a while- I just managed to get on the moon and back to Kerbin and live 2 days ago, I was really happy

So finally there is 'Munwalker 10' (do not ask what happened to the previous ones, I think last 3 where good but unreliable) :\'(

QZyXDh.jpg

SAS should be turned on before launch, also it has the tendency to roll a lot (but its like extra stabilisation ;D)

Strut overuse is possible here too, but it keeps he wobbles at bay :-[

MhnOlh.jpg

The tree boosters will prevent the very long and fuel loaded midsection to halt mid air...

TUDiHh.jpg

after dispersing the boosters one should slowly (and SAS less) take a heading 90° and 45 pitch up and activate SAS

It will pitch up eventually but just keep it running , checking in with ground control where your apoapsis will be

52cXKh.png

aiming for a little more then the mun\'s orbit seems best, you will be catched by the mun all the time (is it possible with less travel time?), there should also be some fuel left in the midsection by then.

adjusting orbit / collision course ??? is a bit difficult regarding where you really want to land, but there is plenty of fuel in the lander (even for a bit of moon hopping ;)):

2MgHnh.jpg

at least one tank should be left to get home (this I am unsure about , how to best escape the mun), for maximum fuel efficiency one can jettison the winglets+decoupler after final mun takeoff

Incidently some of the stock only mun-design have some striking similarities , but that is unavoidable with the limited set i guess :D

My Mun attempts so far:

~25 fails in getting the damn rocket into a stable earth orbit. My pride demanded that I find a way to work those long 2m boosters of the challenger pack into a flyable, steerable rocket. Kutuzov VI finally did it, though she is a bitch to fly without toppling over.

~5 fails to get into a workable transfer orbit. Usually my inclinatino ended being off too far a margin, or i simply circled Kerbin and never came close to the Mun.

~ another 10 aborted attempts in gettin to orbit to make things interesting.

Finally found a simple Youtube tutorial that told me when to fire the rocket - worked nearly flawless, though I had to insert into Mun orbit twice.

~ made it to 800m and 30m/s over munar surface, then sucessfully disengaged the SAS, turned the lander on its head and drove it into the surface full speed. Not exactly all as planned, but I am hopefull and will simply practice landing on Kerbin a bit. Or maybe get a joystick some day.

Regards

~ made it to 800m and 30m/s over munar surface, then sucessfully disengaged the SAS, turned the lander on its head and drove it into the surface full speed. Not exactly all as planned, but I am hopefull and will simply practice landing on Kerbin a bit. Or maybe get a joystick some day.

I did almost the same thing at lunch. The key to a good mun landing seems to be patience, and I had to get back to work, so mine was thin. Managed to impact at just over 100 m/s, and that was with the landing engine and my RCS both going full-blast trying to slow my descent.

My Mun attempts so far:

~25 fails in getting the damn rocket into a stable earth orbit. My pride demanded that I find a way to work those long 2m boosters of the challenger pack into a flyable, steerable rocket. Kutuzov VI finally did it, though she is a bitch to fly without toppling over.

~5 fails to get into a workable transfer orbit. Usually my inclinatino ended being off too far a margin, or i simply circled Kerbin and never came close to the Mun.

Finally found a simple Youtube tutorial that told me when to fire the rocket - worked nearly flawless, though I had to insert into Mun orbit twice.

Regards

The rocket is truly gargantuan.

Guest Flixxbeatz

My Mun attempts so far:

Regards

oh shit, Is that Globe X-M or X-L? Good thing it didn\'t ripped your rocket apart ???

My Mun attempts so far:

That rocket is giganormous. If you lost some of the fuel mass, I think you\'d have a much easier time getting it to the mun. If you\'re dead set on it, connect your engine to fuel tank with struts to stop it coming loose and changing your thrust vector.

well, as these things go, you learn to fly what you build. I wanted a rocket that could successfully use the X-L-boosters, so yes, thats the XL ones.

@derhp: i know the rocket is way oversized for the payload, it wasnt built for efficiency but for the sake of using the XL boosters. I know how to fly it now and can get every third attempt into a transfer orbit - if it fails, it usually fails within the first 50 seconds and just topples over. Otherwise its pretty stable and does not wobble or rip apart.

I might try launching the new Skylab with it, but more likely I\'ll concentrate on Kutuzov V and build something smaller but more efficient. Though I guess in my own poll I would have voted for 60% Poser and 40% Sytlist - I want BIG rockets, but I also want them to look good (and my spaceships apart from the moon landers usually have head shields & service modules & solar panes and stuff)

And thanks for the kind replies.

Guest Flixxbeatz

well, as these things go, you learn to fly what you build. I wanted a rocket that could successfully use the X-L-boosters, so yes, thats the XL ones.

Same, except that it\'s the BFE-5000 in my case... :D

I have a basic design that works.

stage 0:

-mk1pod

-2RCS tanks

-2liquid tanks

-1Liquid engine (either)

-8RCS rockets

-DECOUPLER-

Stage 1:

-Advanced SAS module

-Tri coupler (thank you!)

-4 liquid tanks (12 in total)

-8 fins (that can move) on SAS Module

-3 Liquid engines (place in lowest stage in stage firing sequence)

-RADIAL DECOUPLER-

Stage 2:

-3 Solid boosters (on decouplers)

-3 solid boosters (on other boosters)

On the centre stacks place three radial decouplers

Stage 3:

-3 solid Boosters

Place 1 stack decoupler on each.

Stage 4:

-3 Tri couplers

-3 boosters on each tri coupler

Put the 3 engines (liquid) here in the firing sequence.

Add a ton of struts.

And this actually worked. If you are patient you will fire at the right time (periapsis apporach) to extend the orbit and get there with a ton of fuel.

If you just go for it (orbital path but get out at first chance), then the RCS will land you on the moon.

Just.

Hey Mirage,

care to attach your .craft to this thread? I\'d love to take a look at it.

I am surprised no-one downloaded my rocket yet. Guess the construction is not realyl very fancy. OTOH, it launches with a very small amouot of struts required.

The BFE-5000 is a little bit like the warp nascelles etc - you can easily tweak any kind of engine to behave that way, but if it strays off too far from the path of realism, it becomes not a challenge anymore and boring.

Having said that, I am currently assembling a 'Solar Explorer' constructed mainly out of a big short tank lined with 72 Solar Cells (the one that refuel tanks). The idea is to have a spaceship capable of infinite travels, basically. And yes, I could also just mod an engine to use 0.001 fuel, but wheres the fun in that?

ok, here it is. Note I made a mistake in my last post. There aer three stack decouplers between stages 3 and 4, not two sets of three radial decouplers.

Pardon the unoriginal name, this is Moonraker 3.

you have solar cells?

I made some revisions to my last Mun rocket to get Mun Rocket 8.

It now has 12 Gimbaling LFE\'s firing at take off.

4ITPv.jpg

Z3418.jpg

The TMI stage is exactly the same as the last one.

Now the lander has two tanks of fuel, and fins to land on. Now I can shut everything down when I land, even on a slight slope.

EZbZm.png

Y0snf.png

CUdYg.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.