[0.20] Fun with Parachutes [May 26]

Konraden

I was really bored today.

I^3 Parachutes

This started mostly because I wanted to make my own canopies. Which ended up into making one for each size rocket. But with eight parachutes in the Utilities menu looking the same, I needed an easy way to identify them--I ended up with a retexture of the parachute parts and I messed with the configs a bit. I'll probably do the stock radial parachutes tomorrow in a similar color scheme to match.

New_NC_Parachutes_zps302753de.png

To me, a .0625m parachute shouldn't create the same drag as the 1.25m parachute, which wouldn't create the same drag as a 3.75m parachute. Since the canopy scales with the part, I scaled the drag of each parachute. It's going to need some balancing, but it was a place to start. Speaking of canopies...

Cano-pees_zpsfb7df5e3.png

Any square png will work, but the image has to be distorted since it's going from a square to a hemisphere on the parachute. Photoshop or GIMP, it's Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates... > Polar to Rectangle. .

Edited by Konraden
added DL link

I've always always always wanted a selection of parachutes of various drags and opening heights. Maybe a metal chute that can handle the high speeds of the upper atmosphere or a large drifter that opens at 20,000m for long duration measurements. The stock and even mod values leave huge gaps, especially the shock of opening from 5 to 500 drag at 500m. So dull.

This is a very nice mod, but nearly always, the 2.5 meter 'chutes will tear off. And that's when the only thing they're attached to is an orange tank and a mainsail. Maybe their drag is too high? Using drogue 'chutes might be a solution, but sadly, there is only one top per stack, so it isn't really that viable.

This is a very nice mod, but nearly always, the 2.5 meter 'chutes will tear off. And that's when the only thing they're attached to is an orange tank and a mainsail. Maybe their drag is too high? Using drogue 'chutes might be a solution, but sadly, there is only one top per stack, so it isn't really that viable.

I'm getting around to making drouge radials to match these. I have one already on these forums already which matches the stock radial parachute. My weekends are normally just busy so it takes me a while to catch up. I'll get some more work done later today if I can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.