Kickstarter to mars ?

karolus10

What do you think about "kickstarter" to mars if it will happen today ?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about "kickstarter" to mars if it will happen today ?

• Shut up and take my money !
    • I suported the project ,but probably it wouldn't reach the goal :(
    • I like the idea but not put any money on it
    • No... It's just wrong.
    • It smells like some Scam or something :p

I read recently very interesting article theorizing about possibility of funding mission to mars by... people.

Maybe idea is very bizarre (and I consider it rather as thought experiment) but why not government agency like NASA (or private company like spacex or whatever) could get green light from people who want to see next big step actually happen ?

Do you will want to contribute in "kick-starter" to mars ?

I invite You for voting and further discussion :rolleyes:.

Edited by karolus10

I would want this, We have the Technology to do it, the only real reason why no ones been to mars, or even to the moon since the 70s, is money.

If you have money, nothing is impossible. Maybe we don't have the safest way to go to mars yet, but at the least we could go there alive, even if it will only be a one-way journey. A lot of explorers in the past gambled, and have gone very long one-way journeys to other continents. A lot of people have the balls to do it, they only lack the resources

A manned mission to Mars would cost several billion dollars. You won't get that kind of money through crowd sourcing.

The Mars One program will actually be fund-raised by the people, Donations, Charities, Sponsors, Reality TV shows, etc. not really the actual crowd like Kickstarter, but its close.

but I don't think that Mars one mission will actually happen anyway

Edited by lyndonguitar

Well of course you'd never be able to pay for a full mission with it, but if they could even get a portion of it paid for and it would raise public interest and give a little help doing it, I'd probably be happy to put in a couple hundred dollars. That is assuming the people and plan behind it weren't really dodgy of course.

I'd imagine if something actually serious got underway, it would be funded by a private company as well as NASA and some other government space agencies as a joint effort.

But Mars One isn't crowdsourcing, so it's not a even an example.

It would be rather sad to see something like Mars One not working.

If it didn't work, then that would mean that humanity would rather watch Jersey Shore than a mission to Mars.

The fact that they don't show any solid plans, doesn't mean that they don't have them.

There is just no reason to show the public a WIP plan.

They've contracts running with companies involved in various space exploration sectors.

They also have a list advisors, people who actually worked for NASA, ESA, etc.

Their only hurdle is money. They just need enough to get the snowball rolling.

I'm agree that Mars One most likely fail (and I'm not agree with their mission objectives) but at least it can do some space advertising among general public :).

Edited by karolus10

Some kind of amateur probe mission will probably happen sooner or later, and crowdsourcing could be a great way to fund such a project.

Mars One's plan is a bit too ambitious at this point, but it's important that they're at least trying. I think going to the Moon would be a better idea at first.

I don't think a government agency could crowd fund their mission. It doesn't sound legal. There should simply be more international cooperation.

If it didn't work, then that would mean that humanity would rather watch Jersey Shore than a mission to Mars.

If you ever thought the opposite was true, you're in for a big disappointment...

• 2 years later...
On 5/26/2013 at 1:41 AM, Nibb31 said:

A manned mission to Mars would cost several billion dollars. You won't get that kind of money through crowd sourcing.

Imma reviving this thread!

India did an orbiter for 76 million USD, so it's not entirely impossible if it's a flyby, and not a orbiter or lander/rover. So I guess the question should be, What's the lowest possible cost for a Mars probe flyby?

Also, where in the OP did he/she say it was a manned kickstarted mission?

Edited by Spaceception

3 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Biggest kickstarter so far : ~ 20M$

Back in the day, that'd get you a ton of cargo on a space shuttle.

Did they charge you for astronaut labour?

That's impressive, what was the kickstarter?

Well, what if we assume the rocket is a Falcon 9?

Probably, but this is a probe, it won't be released by Astronauts.

3 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Biggest kickstarter so far : ~ 20M$

Back in the day, that'd get you a ton of cargo on a space shuttle.

Did they charge you for astronaut labour?

Star Citizen has raised over $50M. Hmm, given the absurd amounts* that some people have apparently spent on virtual spaceships, maybe crowd-funding a Mars mission isn't so daft an idea after all. :P

* In my opinion. However, if that's what people want to spend their disposable income on, that's completely up to them.

3 minutes ago, KSK said:

Star Citizen has raised over $50M. Hmm, given the absurd amounts* that some people have apparently spent on virtual spaceships, maybe crowd-funding a Mars mission isn't so daft an idea after all. :P

* In my opinion. However, if that's what people want to spend their disposable income on, that's completely up to them.

Holy excrements, 50 million!?

3 minutes ago, KSK said:

109M$ as of feb 2016 according to that wikipage...

Mars 1 was obviously a scam/ludicrously optimistic. Either way it was clearly never going to happen.

If, say, NASA or someone equally trustworth, made a credible commitment to going to Mars if a certain amount of money was raised, I'd be much more likely to donate my money to that in order to see it happen.

I think that was a big part of Mars One's problem. The people most interested in space, the ones who would have been most likely to pay money to see a Mars landing happen, were also the ones who saw straight through the whole charade and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

If someone is serious, and Star citizen supports it, someone may be able to put a rover on the surface :D

This may be disappointing/surprising to most, given this is the KSP forums, but I am actually *not* in favour of extravagant space exploration until we have sh** more sorted down here on Earth - until money isn't the problem any more.

Then we can *really* get going.

Sure it might take a century or so, but space isn't going anywhere, and there isn't much chance of an extinction level event in that that kinda timeframe.

That is probably a debate for another thread though!

You're not going to do much with $109 million, and the people who fund that actually expect something (virtually) tangible in reward. That won't happen with a space kickstarter (other than "have your name added to a .txt file that goes on a micro SD card to orbit".

Now, if you could have got Facebook to spend $22 billion cash on something of  real value instead of buying Whatsapp...

Edited by Nibb31

6 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

You're not going to do much with $109 million, and the people who fund that actually expect something (virtually) tangible in reward. That won't happen with a space kickstarter (other than "have your name added to a .txt file that goes on a micro SD card to orbit".

Now, if you could have got Facebook to spend $22 billion cash on something of  real value instead of buying Whatsapp...

Like I said earlier, India did an orbiter mission for 76 million USD, you may not be able to do much, but you should get some science done, at the very least show people how to space on a tight budget.

Edited by Spaceception

6 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

I facebook sends a mission to mars I will shoot myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.