You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Gather 'round and listen closely, Because this is a long story and I only got one good pic to tell the tale.

I just finished doing deorbital burning after returning from a Munar escape in the Duna-III Rocket, Flown by a lone kerbal, on the Kerpollo 17 Mission.

(The Duna-III is a mod rocket made with a booster stage based off the American Saturn-V and a capsule stage based off the Chinese Tiangong-1)

As my capsule shot through the orbital-reentry stage (No deadly re-entry mod here) I realized something bad.

I CONVERTED MY CAPSULE INTO A STATION CORE. THERE WERE NO PARACHUTES.

As a last-ditch effort I did a burn over the sea as I fell through the air. Did my last resort burn fail or succeed? I don't know, because the game froze and crashed with a "Terminated in an unusual way" Error during the freefall. Oh well.

Here's the picture, a picture of the capsule detaching from the final boost stage.

NLj37EA.jpg

If I had gotten this in game I wouldn't have reverted. I would've left the debris field as a trophy

i have done that with the Kraken attack on my space station i had docked a set of mainsail tanks and using a experimental space tug moving in the next section boom my tug and the docking port is about the only parts not with a new separate orbit i was so shocked i totaly forgot to screen cap then it was all so pretty i manged to get the kerbals from the station to a stable orbit with a bit of left over rcs fuel and back packs

then re named life boat 1

i will go up and save them sooner or later

Moon lander had not enough fuel to make it back to orbit.

First rescue craft had no RCS, so wouldn't have been able to dock at the refuel station and had to be abandoned.

Second recuse craft had triple symmetry. I tried to adjust the position of the RCS thrusters to compensate for the triple-symmetry... it didn't :(. Also I forgot to add additional RCS fuel so I had to perform a dock with only forward and reverse RCS (no translation).

Bob made it back to the station eventually though! :D

Decoupled a stage using the blue stack seperator. Except, the decoupler got caught on one of the legs of the craft. It was enough weight to imbalance the small craft. I had to play around with time warp to try to get it to glitch through so that it would come loose and leave my craft alone. :(

Sent an mun lander to sample the reminding zones, pretty nice setup, an lightweight lander with dockable goo and labs and enough dV to mostly sample an second location after an suborbital jump.

Have an transfer stage with more goo/labs and spare fuel in orbit, that will be reused as a tug after this mission as it has 4 LV-N and plenty of docking ports.

Forgot to add communication and static solar panels on it, because of KAS its not an total mission fail, i will do science and store and have launched an probe with panels and antennas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.