You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

So far all four of my Mun landers have failed.

MunHab1: Ran out of fuel on landing, stranded on Mun

MunHab2: Didn't have enough fuel to deorbit Kerbin and was stuck in a 3mil kilometer orbit

MunHab3: Bounced and fell over, destroying main engine

MunHab4: Was going well until I tried to deploy its rover, resulting in premature landing strut retraction

I'm trying for a successful MunHab5 today. [EDIT: No such luck. Did land right next to an arch, though]

QdSv9mz.png

Jeb in front of MunHab3.

Edited by Mercury1964

I think my favourite was a rescue mission to minmus

Jeb bill and bob were stuck is a lander doing "research" for atleast 2 years before I finaly decided to take them back to kerbin. Being a near- confident player at this time getting to minmus was no problem and I landed softly directly next to the craft.... About 5k away...

I didn't want to risk the fuel trying to fly closer as it was a big craft and still needed to land back on kerbin so I decided to manually walk all three to the ship.

Taking advantage of minmus's lack of gravity I used the jet packs to guide jeb slowly but surely to the craft, the same happend with bill. By the time I had to get bob over to the craft I was extreamly bored so I decided to use phys warp along with the rcs, this caused bob to fly straight past the lander and crash into the surface and die....

So unphased by the death of bob I continued my flight to kerbin, no problems, a regular landing in the hills by the space center. Success! I decided to Eva all the kebals to take a nice screenshot, Unfortunatly when jeb touched the ground he slowly started sinking into the planet eventually clipping through it and dieing, the craft then started to sink and when I tried to start the engines the whole thing blew up... That was a sad day

I installed Hooligan Labs Airship parts and made an airship probe to send to Eve. I custom built a lifter for it but had a horrible time controlling it as it kept wanting to yaw and pitch in odd directions. I tweaked things in the VAB and spent a lot of time rebalancing everything but it still would not launch properly. Either I couldn't react fast enough or it would respond to my control attempts by pitching over the wrong direction.

Ok no problem I'll let mechjeb handle things. Mechjeb doesn't always impress me in space but it's really good at getting my crappy lifters to orbit. Or so I thought. The rocket cleared the gantry AND THEN SPUN ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DEGREES INTO THE GROUND! I was horrified. I tried manual control again but that went even worse, especially with ASAS. It just wouldn't respond properly to input. I literally spent two days tearing my rocket apart and rebuilding it. Eventually I went to one of the stock KW designs, one of the heavy lifters. You might not think an airship would be heavy, but it was the extra fuel and nuclear propulsion. So I get it on the launchpad and turn on the autopilot and sure enough, 180 into the ground. For a while I was sure it was the airship part, I mean surely it was exerting some weird torque during launch, RIGHT? I was really close to going to the airship thread and reporting it as a bug when I noticed something odd. All the fins were hard over during launch... in the direction that it was turning. I looked at the pitch and yaw indicators and I realized that mechjeb was deliberately plowing my rocket into the ground. But WHY???

Turns out that the probe core at the heart of my airship was upside down....

Looks like it was a PEBCAK error....

screenshot282.png

>PGGGT beep KSC this is Gemini IV and V ready for docking

<Go ahead!

screenshot280.png

Dudford> KSC we have a problem

Donbart> WEEEEEEEEEEEJ! AWESOME! WOOOOOOH!!!

Gerzon> D*mnit Donbart this is serious!!

screenshot281.png

We did go to space today.... :-/

A few minutes ago, at the time of this posting, I was attempting to put a probe into Kerbin orbit to ring in 0.21. However, it was corkscrewing out of control and MechJeb didn't help. (Resisting the urge to shout DO A BARREL ROLL!) The navball was showing the ground, somewhat odd for a ship pointed towards space. Then I found out why: The MJ unit was installed upside down. Apparently an odd occurrence with the version of MJ I was using caused the MJ unit to flip out if installed with the antenna pointing downwards. It kept trying to point itself towards the ground, but when the altimeter ticked down instead of up, it kind of had a digital panic attack and my rocket started spinning like a top. Now going in for another launch, with the MJ unit installed right-side-up . . .

I don't have any screenshots, but I was once trying to launch an impossibly huge transfer module with 10km/s delta-V in the engines, tons of thrust, two docking ports (one Clamp-o-Tron Jr, one standard), intended to haul an empty lander all the way to Duna.

My launch vehicle did its job perfectly... on paper, at least.

Strange things happened at 10km.

The first version, with five Mainfails and an orange tank equivalent for each, tipped over at 5km. I responded by giving it better control - more SAS, some winglets, all you need to control a really huge rocket.

Attempt 2 tipped over at 10km - and it tipped SO HARD that the transfer module broke into small peices. I added more SAS and more winglets.

Version 3 also tipped over at 10km, but this time, it was hard enough that it summoned the kraken in its full form to destroy Kerbin.

I, of course, was not afraid of the Kraken. I had Jeb sitting in the control room flying it, with his heart stopped, and life support linked to the rocket. You know, no pressure or anything.

Version 4 tipped over at 10km - just like the two before it. It was oddly gentle though - I could've recovered if the constant torque stopped. Jeb's heart was restarted, and we switched to a supercomputer.

Version 5, piloted by Mechanical Jeb, and this time with RCS pretty much everywhere, tipped over at 10km.

At this point, I just closed the game and did something else.

Be mindful of CoM; more mass & thrust at the bottom usually does the trick, and a higher gravity-turn start point and/or reducing the severity of your gravity-turn curve will ensure success at the expense of a wee bit o' DV.

I'm sure you've figured this out already, but just in case... =)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.