You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

jhwoyt.png

Note to self: don't suspend the entire launch stage and its boosters by a single decoupler.

34nhdn7.png

This craft was meant to start at one end of the runway, break the sound barrier, and let its pilot safely eject before hitting the other. In hindsight, I'm not quite sure what else I expected when I strapped wings to it.

So i just launched the game and went to the Tracking Center to continue my latest Duna mission, which i left landed on the surface. And then i see two crafts with the same name, "blablablahnameoftheship probe". So i recall that last night, when the chutes popped open, what was left of a radial decoupler still attached to the lander (for undisclosed reasons lol) went flying away. So this must be the second ship that the Tracking Center is listing. And i merrily decide "ok, lets go fly that thing to see where it landed!". Bad, bad idea. Next thing i see is this:

2omSDIF.png

The thing has passed through the surface of Duna, and is now free falling through it. As i am writing this, the adventurous decoupler is still going, 15 Km down the surface and it is... decelerating! As of now, its doing 13 m/s and decelerating lol! I'm wondering if i leave it enough time it will either brake to 0, or come through the other side of Duna lol :P

Heres a bonus pic of the amazing decoupler going towards what looks like.... the fiery core of Duna nonetheless!! :DOr HAL 9000.... oh well...

vWvqH4y.png

EDIT: I can see Ike now and some atmo! LOL! :D

d0ddNlr.png

Edited by 3mon

This was supposed to be a Munar mission. But instead of decreasing my warp as I approached the Mun, I accidentally accelerated to maximum. I warped through 8 days before I realized what was going on. And, of course, the ship got slingshot into an escape trajectory. D'oh!

Luckily, since it was a "land and return" mission, I had plenty of fuel aboard. A quick prograde burn, and Bill will eventually return home. ...half a year later.

screenshot79.png

This can only end well! Look at him, he's having fun! And it's not even Jeb, it is some guy called Gusmore Kerman lol!

vV0K2jH.jpg

RIP Gusmore, your desperate trials to survive a failed aerocapture will be remembered.

The kraken ate the whole game XD. I had a ship going to eve that I set an alarm while I played with other ships.

I went to see if it was on course and suddenly the altitude indicator went to 88888888 (all the digits there are) then all black, when back to KSC and it was all black, had to restart the game and my ship was lost :(

Apart, I noticed that when I connect fuel lines with symmetry, it not always connects all, got two rovers with one fuel tank not draining due to this, gotta send a third one

I put up a nice early career space station to do some science using the mobile lab. I sent it up with a two man return module for Jeb and Tomford Kerman to use when I was done with Science.

I did all my science, got bored and burnt for home. I splashed my station down in the ocean (no reason to leave it up there) before splitting the return module at about 5km for a nice paired landing, something I did for aesthetics and fun.The pods landed safely and I returned to the VAB to prepare for my next mission.

87k3JKk.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I forgot to do?

I stranded two Kerbals on the Mun (accidentally) and so I'm trying to mount a rescue operation. On take 1 I had the landing clamps attached to the wrong stage. No big deal, whatever. On take 2, everything went smoothly until I decoupled my large solid boosters at 15k. One of them hit my currently in use liquid tank and they exploded. I was able to save the pilot and bring him down safely and so I made some adjustments and tried again. Take 3 went great, I burned through my small solid boosters, my large solid boosters (which decoupled successfully), burned through my large liquid engines, decoupled them, and moved on to my asparagus stage. 80k up, burning to set my orbit, and the first asparagus stage runs dry. I decouple and find out I had the decoupling of my asparagus staging set wrong. The two dry tanks stay where they are, and two fully ignited engines fly forward, catch on another part of my ship, spin it around, and then explode. This was the result.

073A46DF63F7960A968A5F97A0ED47E80C5D3ABF

Amazingly, since I hadn't circularized my orbit yet, I was again able to return the pilot safely. His command pod had managed to escape the devastation. I am ready to begin take 4 now.

I put up a nice early career space station to do some science using the mobile lab. I sent it up with a two man return module for Jeb and Tomford Kerman to use when I was done with Science.

I did all my science, got bored and burnt for home. I splashed my station down in the ocean (no reason to leave it up there) before splitting the return module at about 5km for a nice paired landing, something I did for aesthetics and fun.The pods landed safely and I returned to the VAB to prepare for my next mission.

http://i.imgur.com/87k3JKk.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I forgot to do?

You forgot the Kerbals inside the lab?

My mission this weekend was to explore the new biomes of Minmus in my 0.23 career save. Having successfully drained the Mun of enough science to obtain all of the scientific instruments, I wanted to use the same approach on Minmus as on the Munar mission. The expedition would require four launches. The first was the core module consisting of the lab, crew quarters and a docking hub, the second a fuel ship to allow multiple landings, and the third was the crew transfer vehicle that would take the crew to Minmus and return them safely to Kerbin at the conclusion of the mission. These first three launches were combined in Minmus orbit to form the lab facility. The fourth launch was the lander, which wound up making nine return trips between the orbiting lab and the surface. On each trip, the lander would gather science from a biome and then return to orbit to transfer the science to the CTV, refuel the lander, and clean out the Science Jr. and Goo containers.

The crew consisted of five Kerbals: Jeb and Bill performed the landings, with Jeb acting as the lander pilot and Bill as the science officer. Jendan and Tomzer ran the orbital lab facility, while Bob was pilot for the crew transfer vehicle. With not much to do between the outbound and inbound trips, Bob also did most of the cooking and put on occasional puppet shows to entertain the others.

All in all the, the mission went off absolutely flawlessly, and by the time Jeb and Bill had returned from their ninth and final landing near the northern pole, the science crew had processed and uploaded 73 experiments to the data banks in the CTV's capsule.

On the return trip to Kerbin, a miscalculation for the required fuel load meant that there would be no circularizing the orbit and then landing precisely back at KSC. Rather, the aerobraking maneuver turned directly in to the landing, meaning the landing point was pretty much chosen at random. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as the three parachutes deployed at 5 km to signal the final phase of the landing, followed by the full deploy at 500m.

It was then that it occurred to Jeb that the lander was about to land in water, and that the lander consisted of simply a three man capsule (occupied only by Bob on the return trip), a Hitchhiker Storage Container for the other four crew, and four lander legs. In a water landing, the legs would be useless, and the HSC did not have the structural rigidity to withstand a water landing at 8 m/s - the legs were meant to absorb the shock. With seconds to spare, Jeb and Bill scrambled up the ladder to the safety of the capsule, but after weeks in space, Jendan and Tomzer were killed instantly as the HSC was crushed on impact.

Here's some images:

i-8JTXDTD-M.png

Launch of the core module. Both the Mun and Minmus are visible.

i-Lq7bv4s-M.png

Approaching Minmus.

i-tGQKdgX-M.png

Bill is the quiet, contemplative sort. Here he is pondering the mysteries of the universe and feeling small.

i-Mq2PKbf-M.png

Jeb, on the other hand, is more the adventurer. During an interview with KTV from the surface, he described the mission as 'kickass!"

i-h5vq4jj-M.png

The lander returns from the surface, on final approach to the station. The lab and quarters are the center module, the fuel ship is on the left, and the CTV on the right.

i-B6Sjc4N-M.png

Lander lights viewed from directly overhead, almost abstract.

i-gNQkD8C-M.png

The polar landing had the best views. Here Jeb and Bill are mugging for the camera, with the lander in the background and Kerbin and the Mun visible in the sky.

i-MmNVcdX-M.png

Here's the CTV during aerobraking maneuver at Kerbin, prior to the detachment of the engine and fuel tank. This was followed shortly after by Jendan and Tomzer's unfortunate demise (not shown).

i-k3p3634-M.png

Seen here is the result of the trip. Jendan and Tomzer's sacrifice was not in vain, as the returned 4,583.3 science will do much to advance Kerbalkind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.