[WIP][1.1.3] Large Structural/Station Components [Image Heavy]

Hi,

I think these parts are great, and the rate you're producing them at is astounding. The large hub alone is certainly going to be an important component in some of my up coming designs.

I have a couple of comments on the generator and battery though. The battery seems very underpowered compared to the stock Z100. It has 4,000 electrical units per ton, whereas the stock Z100 has 20,000 units per ton. As it's a larger unit it ought to be more efficient, not less, I'd suggest upping its rating to at least 10,000 if not 12,000. As for the generator, it's a little less efficient than the stock RTG, considering output per ton, but what is it? If it's a large RTG shouldn't it be always on? And shouldn't it have some cool radiation warning stickers :-) Otherwise shouldn't it consume some fuel or monopropellant?

Otherwise, great work - many thanks for your efforts. I'm keen to see what you make next.

Hi,

I think these parts are great, and the rate you're producing them at is astounding. The large hub alone is certainly going to be an important component in some of my up coming designs.

I have a couple of comments on the generator and battery though. The battery seems very underpowered compared to the stock Z100. It has 4,000 electrical units per ton, whereas the stock Z100 has 20,000 units per ton. As it's a larger unit it ought to be more efficient, not less, I'd suggest upping its rating to at least 10,000 if not 12,000. As for the generator, it's a little less efficient than the stock RTG, considering output per ton, but what is it? If it's a large RTG shouldn't it be always on? And shouldn't it have some cool radiation warning stickers :-) Otherwise shouldn't it consume some fuel or monopropellant?

Otherwise, great work - many thanks for your efforts. I'm keen to see what you make next.

Thanks, I know a lot of values are a little off. I shall be updating them and releasing a new update soon. I'm working on a manned control module at the moment.

Consider how many RTGs and batteries you would have to stick to your ship/station to equal power output and capacity of these two parts. With big stations and interplanetary ships part count becomes bigger problem than TWR ratio, amount of dV and wobbliness. Not to mention appearance ;) My biggest creations look like a mess of girders, struts and solar panels everywhere. I know - it's how space stations look in real life - but i grew on Arthur C. Clarke and Heinlein's books. My heart does not agree with my brain, that there is nothing wrong with a station looking like a horrible industrial accident :sticktongue:

Consider how many RTGs and batteries you would have to stick to your ship/station to equal power output and capacity of these two parts. With big stations and interplanetary ships part count becomes bigger problem than TWR ratio, amount of dV and wobbliness. Not to mention appearance ;) My biggest creations look like a mess of girders, struts and solar panels everywhere. I know - it's how space stations look in real life - but i grew on Arthur C. Clarke and Heinlein's books. My heart does not agree with my brain, that there is nothing wrong with a station looking like a horrible industrial accident :sticktongue:

Hehe, whatever happens... there will be an update tomorrow.

My heart does not agree with my brain, that there is nothing wrong with a station looking like a horrible industrial accident :sticktongue:

...I'll agree with that only as long as it's a brightly painted industrial accident. :)

As an idiom dating back to Soviet navy says, "If an object moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, paint it!" Stations typically don't move much, therefore, they need to be painted. :)

The crew tank with the airlock gave me an idea for a Mun Base. Would it be possible to move the airlock to between the windows instead of on top? Or maybe just put an airlock on top AND between the windows. That way you can land it horrizontally and have the windows looking out over terrain, and still put a ladder up to the airlock so they can get in and out.

I like the idea of a 360 degree lookout area. Very cool.

Keep up the awesome work :)

-edit-

that new piece would make an awesome central tower topper on a planetary base :)

Edited by Scottiths

So I just downloaded the new part and it occurred to me that your awesome mod lacks awesome descriptions (N/A is kinda boring). This made me sad as such cool parts need cool descriptions. Here are the descriptions I put into my copy of the game. You may use them in your mod if you like.

For the generator:

"Who needs solar power when you have the power of... Well noone really knows what powers this thing, but that has never stopped Jeb from strapping it onto his rockets."

For the Original Corridor:

Bob complained that Jeb kept leaving the airlock open when he left the Hitchhiker can. The Kerbal engineers have come up with a solution: THE CORRIDOR! Now Jeb can go from the Hitchhiker to the cockpit without opening any airlocks. If only they could convince him to be less aggressive on the throttle...

For the Skylight corridor:

Bill, after seeing Bob get his Jeb problem solved decided that it was too claustrophobic. Now introducing the NEW corridor with MOAR SKYLIGHTS!

For the Airlock corridor:

Jeb decided that if he wanted to EVA he was gonna EVA whether Bill likes it or not. Now introducing the OTHER NEW corridor. Now with airlocks! Bob says please remember to close them on your way out.

For the radial fuel tank:

Kerbonaut engineers decided that cylinders are boring. Spheres are all the rage nowadays. Warning: contents under pressure, do not shake.

for the window:

Bill thinks things are too claustrophobic on space stations. The Kerbal engineers have decided to listen to his demands for a window and interior lighting. Jeb is sad he won't get to use glow in the dark ink for his calculations anymore (as if Jeb ever calculates before pushing the red button).

For the 4 way adaptor:

Kerbals are big subscribers to "bigger is always better." With that in mind they built the large adapter, now with 100% more big!

for the stut tabs:

Jeb was tired of sticking his rockets together with crazy glue, and could never quite figure out where to put MOAR STRUTS! The kerbal engineers built these handy tabs to make Jebs rockets fly slightly less like wet noodles.

for the battery:

It stores energy. The sign reads: Do not put fingers in sockets!

So I just downloaded the new part and it occurred to me that your awesome mod lacks awesome descriptions (N/A is kinda boring). This made me sad as such cool parts need cool descriptions. Here are the descriptions I put into my copy of the game. You may use them in your mod if you like.

*snip*

Very creative and funny. Like the whole corridor, new corridor, the other new corridor bit and the glow-in-the-dark ink, but we know Jeb doesn't need to make calculations. I hear his throttle even goes to eleven. :cool:

Changes & Updates:

[Wednesday 5th June 2013]

- The Collision Meshes for all Parts have been fixed, you'll no longer get that sinking feeling.

- The Inline Battery has had its Configuration updated, it now stores 5,000 units of ElectricCharge.

- The Inline Generator has had its Configuration updated, it now generates ElectricCharge at a rate of 15.0/s.

- The In-game Descriptions for all Parts has been updated, big thanks to Scottiths for this.

- A minor issue with the Large Structural Tabs being out of alignment has been fixed.

Download link in Original Post has been updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.