[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

Aha! Incompatability with new Module Manager detected and fixed; please download 2.2e!

Good to hear! I'm too used to editing CFG files myself, I need to actually look into Module Manager more thoroughly.

Do you know if there's a way to set the heat multiplier?

EDIT: Hah, like an idiot, I overlooked the obvious raising of the maxtemp values for the parts--which would be permanent, unlike setting the multiplier.

Edited by Synthesis

I grabbed that and added it to the deadlyreentry.cfg file:

@PART[MissingHeatSHield]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{ // this is a copy paste of the mk1 pod ablative shielding.
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 1000 64 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C
key = 3000 80 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 // begin ablating at 300 degrees C
key = 500 180 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 250
maxAmount = 250
}
}

I think it needs a bit of tweaking to accommodate the 1-2 pod. Maybe a touch more ablation? It has run out of ablation resource every time I've tested it, regardless of whether I survive or not.

Also, for some reason every part on my ship is being listed as IsShielded: False. Ship is just a parachute a pod and a shield with the shield held retrograde. Ablation is working on the shield, shield's heat spikes after ablation wears out, and the other components are holding together so I don't know if it matters.

you might want to make sure you have the authors permission first... but thank you.

Is there any way to tweak Mechjeb so that the flight ascent helper for Preventing Overheats actually brings down the throttle more? as it generally only brings it down enough not to max its out but with this mod its still around that 90-95 percent point were over time its still gonna go boom.

The zip seems to have an old version old Modulemanager (1.0.4915.38808) compared to the ModuleManager thread (1.0.4916.2376).

The one in the 2.2e zip applied all my mods twice (and it took me 3 hours to figure that out!).

The one in the 2.2e zip applied all my mods twice (and it took me 3 hours to figure that out!).

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for posting this. I was just messing around with an alternate install to try the B9 stuff (not much of a spaceplane guy myself, but I thought I'd play) and it had nothing in it but B9, FAR and Deadly … and every part had two temperature readouts instead of one. I never thought to replace ModuleManager with the one from the other thread, but by george, that fixed it.

Still getting two "IsShielded" readouts from FAR on my cockpits, though, and no idea why. But that's another topic.

I have a few modulemanager type mods and they all include a version of the plugin which is suboptimal for a number of reasons:

1. JSGME considers the overlap co-dependency

2. It's difficult to tell what version is applied at any moment

3. dll version changes based on what mods are installed

I don't know the ideal solution but a "MM required" note and a link to where to get the latest dll outperforms including the dll in the release I think. So far I've always opted not to use the included MM dll in any MM-enabled package and keep a separate mod folder for just MM dll and try to keep that latest (with mixed success).

Dont you think that this mod should be renamed "Deadly atmospheric effects mod" instead of Deadly Reentry? because of the added thermal and Gforce damage effects?

Not at all. Deadly Reentry [into the atmosphere of course, what else are you re-entering??] is perfect. Reentry is deadly for lots of reasons...

I believe I may have encountered a bug of some kind.

If I have a simple craft (smallest heat shield provided by you, the tiny black/grey 1 man command pod, and the small parachute that fits on top) and re-enter with the heat shield facing the direction of travel, the parachute that should be shielded by the rest of the craft and the heat shield actually heats up more then the other two components and then finally overheats and blows up.

Has anybody else encountered something like this or is it just me?

My chute blew up as well, the only part on the lander I was reentering..and the ship didn't even have a heat shield. Still the only thing to blow was the chute at the TOP OF THE ROCKET, farthest away from "where the action happened"

My chute blew up as well, the only part on the lander I was reentering..and the ship didn't even have a heat shield. Still the only thing to blow was the chute at the TOP OF THE ROCKET, farthest away from "where the action happened"

Aha, I know exactly what's happening here.

I tried to detect when the chutes were deployed, so that a deployed chute would burn up even if it's at the back of the rocket. DRE2.2e counts a chute as 'deployed' even when its still fully packed, if its staging icon has been activated.

Obviously, this is a problem. I've fixed this for 2.2f, which I'm releasing now.

As a side note, do NOT pop your chutes until the reentry F/X stop glowing! if the parachute silk hits a 1200-degree slipstream, it WILL catch fire.

Edited by ialdabaoth

Ok everyone, other than tweaks to the sound effects, I believe I'm done - prove me wrong!

If no one notices anything utterly bizzare with 2.2f by Monday, I'll update to the final sound effects (adding pitch and volume changes based on how quickly damage is occurring), and release 2.3! And then we'll finally be out of this alpha cycle and back on a 'stable' release.

Ok everyone, other than tweaks to the sound effects, I believe I'm done - prove me wrong!

If no one notices anything utterly bizzare with 2.2f by Monday, I'll update to the final sound effects (adding pitch and volume changes based on how quickly damage is occurring), and release 2.3! And then we'll finally be out of this alpha cycle and back on a 'stable' release.

Very nice, you got me to download this again, as I just noticed it's compatible with B9 parts! Wooo! :D

Been having a blast with this mod! Well, I guess tring NOT to blast my poor Kerbals with heat or g's. The sounds added are a great addition to the realism. Thanks for all your hard work on this project!

Aha, I know exactly what's happening here.

I tried to detect when the chutes were deployed, so that a deployed chute would burn up even if it's at the back of the rocket. DRE2.2e counts a chute as 'deployed' even when its still fully packed, if its staging icon has been activated.

Obviously, this is a problem. I've fixed this for 2.2f, which I'm releasing now.

As a side note, do NOT pop your chutes until the reentry F/X stop glowing! if the parachute silk hits a 1200-degree slipstream, it WILL catch fire.

I've recently waited until < M1.0 to deploy chutes. I used to "prime" them but the deceleration was too high and it's just kinda suboptimal all around. I wish I could set automatic chute deployment armings. Oh well off to the mod suggestion forum.

I've recently waited until < M1.0 to deploy chutes. I used to "prime" them but the deceleration was too high and it's just kinda suboptimal all around. I wish I could set automatic chute deployment armings. Oh well off to the mod suggestion forum.

I would support this. I use RemoteTech and like to drop small probes without an interplanetary dish on them. Keeping an orbiter in range until landing is sometimes quite hard and I've lost a lander probe because I lost contact before I opened the chutes.

Also, I just want to say how thrilled I am by the new features in this mod. Great work!

well my strategy ever since the old pakledhostage mod was wait for my altitude to drop below 5,000 and it has worked out pretty well. Granted I've never had too much experience with parachutes on other planets, but I image that the only one that would be troublesome with my strategy is Duna with it's thin atmosphere.

I've got a bit of a bug to report. I was coming in for reentry about Jool, coming in at about 9km/s with periapsis at 120k. My 6.25 inflated heatshield blazed white hot, but the temperature barely made it to -30.

I've got a bit of a bug to report. I was coming in for reentry about Jool, coming in at about 9km/s with periapsis at 120k. My 6.25 inflated heatshield blazed white hot, but the temperature barely made it to -30.

Hmm. Hopefully this is just a cfg file problem; do you have a copy of a savefile before it enters Jool? I'd hate to have to fly all the way out to Jool just to test this; my computer is terrible.