[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

birrhan, pics or craft file? I've been able to deorbit even before the fix, and am fine afterwards--right up to Mun->Kerbin direct descents.

But first, try a steeper descent--you may be spending too much time in the upper atmosphere, where the heat:drag ratio is too much heat--you don't bleed off enough speed so eventually you overheat. You want peak drag Gs of at least 3.0 or so, which means a PE of 0--everything on your pod should be able to take that (I hope, unless you have some really impact-intolerant parts!)

Or is your problem already explosion from overG vs explosion from heat?

Negative compadre--field tested, still goes boom. Relevant mods are FAR and Deadly Reentry. Apo 85 km, pero 20 km. angle of attack at 32 km 10 degrees (right on the retrograde marker).

See, the problem is that the heat shield, when coupled with FAR, doesn't actually shield anything. It blows up just like any other part. Kind of aggravating.

Are you sure you are using the current version from this thread? Do you see a bar for the ablative after you right click on the shield? Do you have the new decoupler part to match the 2,5 m heat shield, etc.? Your problem sounds a lot like what I experienced when I tried to use the old version in 0.20. It would blow up at about 30 km no matter what.

Do your parts fail from heat damage or from g-force damage? You can check that in the flight report.

I use DRE and FAR together and it works very well. It took just some getting used to the slippery atmosphere. I think from a 80 km orbit, you should be fine with a PE of 0 km. I just face the capsule straight retrograde the whole time.

birrhan, pics or craft file? I've been able to deorbit even before the fix, and am fine afterwards--right up to Mun->Kerbin direct descents.

But first, try a steeper descent--you may be spending too much time in the upper atmosphere, where the heat:drag ratio is too much heat--you don't bleed off enough speed so eventually you overheat. You want peak drag Gs of at least 3.0 or so, which means a PE of 0--everything on your pod should be able to take that (I hope, unless you have some really impact-intolerant parts!)

Or is your problem already explosion from overG vs explosion from heat?

OK, I was running v 1.3, now that's fixed. using the new heat shield and decoupler. it appears that g forces are now the culprit. This was from a 70 km x 10 km powered descent--using thrust applied retrograde throughout descent to avoid overheating. velocity at explosion was 900 m/s, altitude of 17 km EM9b2Og.jpg

Funny enough the heat shield ALWAYS blows up from g force damage. Leading to overheating.2cWYTl8.jpg

Are you sure you are using the current version from this thread? Do you see a bar for the ablative after you right click on the shield? Do you have the new decoupler part to match the 2,5 m heat shield, etc.? Your problem sounds a lot like what I experienced when I tried to use the old version in 0.20. It would blow up at about 30 km no matter what.

Do your parts fail from heat damage or from g-force damage? You can check that in the flight report.

I use DRE and FAR together and it works very well. It took just some getting used to the slippery atmosphere. I think from a 80 km orbit, you should be fine with a PE of 0 km. I just face the capsule straight retrograde the whole time.

Install is now the current version. I seem to still have the old parts, however. And none of them have an ablative bar when right clicking.

I've literally been working on this project non stop (non. stop.) since Friday. So the cost/benefit of what should by all appearances be a simple project diminished a long time ago. For example, your post was my first clue that there was a version incompatibility with spaceport.

I can see the shield being applied in the VAB, it looks nice and charcoaly, like the underside of the shuttle. but in orbit, I decouple the "special" decoupler, and the $#!tty gold foil shield is there instead. This is after a clean install of DE 2.3.

So This:

0byHeG7.jpg

turns into this:

I1tvHdx.png

birrhan, make sure there's nothing in your root_ksp_folder\Parts folder. That's where all the old DRE parts would be. If necessary, open your main KSP folder and do a search for "deadly" and make sure that the only files/folders that show up are under ksp\GameData\DeadlyReentry

(and verify that the files and folders in ksp\GameData\DeadlyReentry are exactly what's in the DRE 2.3 zip you downloaded).

What are you using to, like, stop? In the pics I see only docking port, ASAS, pod, and (messed up) shield. You said you were doing a powered descent--where do you have the tank and engine stashed? There should be _nothing_ below the heat shield...

birrhan, make sure there's nothing in your root_ksp_folder\Parts folder. That's where all the old DRE parts would be. If necessary, open your main KSP folder and do a search for "deadly" and make sure that the only files/folders that show up are under ksp\GameData\DeadlyReentry

(and verify that the files and folders in ksp\GameData\DeadlyReentry are exactly what's in the DRE 2.3 zip you downloaded).

What are you using to, like, stop? In the pics I see only docking port, ASAS, pod, and (messed up) shield. You said you were doing a powered descent--where do you have the tank and engine stashed? There should be _nothing_ below the heat shield...

I'm desperate. I leave the engine/tank decoupler on during a powered descent, crank it up to 90% throttle at retrograde, then around 1000 m/s drag overtakes me and I start pinwheeling out of control and die by g force. But at least it wasn't by overheating.

What you see is a nominal reentry configuration. Should work--it is pretty standard, no? I should note that you were right, there were misplaced files in the root parts directory, deleting them forces the correct heat shield to stick. It still burns up in about 20 seconds though. Literally no change, except I can see the ablative shielding decrease with time. Temp increases rapidly to 3000 deg C, then pop.

This is buggy as all hell.

installed the mod and it looks nice. One small problem though. i sent in 2 different tries the 1-man and 3-manned capsules with heat shields underneath at 200km. During reentry the heat shield holds out but the parachute, once the reentry heat is gone, it explodes. In both cases the parachute was at the top of the capsule and i did not deployed it. I tried at different angles but no change. Maybe i am missing something?

I'm desperate. I leave the engine/tank decoupler on during a powered descent, crank it up to 90% throttle at retrograde, then around 1000 m/s drag overtakes me and I start pinwheeling out of control and die by g force. But at least it wasn't by overheating.

What you see is a nominal reentry configuration. Should work--it is pretty standard, no? I should note that you were right, there were misplaced files in the root parts directory, deleting them forces the correct heat shield to stick. It still burns up in about 20 seconds though. Literally no change, except I can see the ablative shielding decrease with time. Temp increases rapidly to 3000 deg C, then pop.

This is buggy as all hell.

I don't think it's buggy for me. Are you sure temps went to 3000°? Should that not be 1800° now? By default every part gets capped at 2500°, not matter what max temp it was set to. Might there still be the old dll in the root plugin directory?

Also, if you burn up, lower your PE the next time. Spend less time in the upper atmosphere and trade heat for g-force.

installed the mod and it looks nice. One small problem though. i sent in 2 different tries the 1-man and 3-manned capsules with heat shields underneath at 200km. During reentry the heat shield holds out but the parachute, once the reentry heat is gone, it explodes. In both cases the parachute was at the top of the capsule and i did not deployed it. I tried at different angles but no change. Maybe i am missing something?

That's propably from g-force damage. Do you send the pods just straight up to 200 km?

It's probably the g-force that makes that small part explode.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Lexif...

I don't think it's buggy for me. Are you sure temps went to 3000°? Should that not be 1800° now? By default every part gets capped at 2500°, not matter what max temp it was set to. Might there still be the old dll in the root plugin directory?

Also, if you burn up, lower your PE the next time. Spend less time in the upper atmosphere and trade heat for g-force.

So what worked for me last night was this convoluted scenario:

1) Apo 80, Peri 0.

2) point retrograde at 35km.

3) Ignite, full throttle.

4) Decelerate to ~1000 m/s

5) Release drogue chute and decouple booster.

6) Release main chutes.

7) ~ 3000 m the drogue chutes tear free (speed ~150 m/s)

8) Slowly accelerate again, by gravity (not by choice)

9) Fill out main chutes at ~ 500 m, slow to 8 m/s

10) Land.

This is obviously not the way it's suppose to work, and totally ignores the heatshield (because it's ignoring me). Bit it did work. Think like a Kerbal.

Will look for old dlls in the FAR directory. The DRE 2.3 folder is clean and new.

Not FAR, KSP/Plugins. When you switched to the new DRE, you had to remove EVERY file from the old DRE, no matter where they got put. Remember I said to do the search?

Note that if you have anything below the heat shield, drag will not work properly and you may over-G.

It somewhat works for me in 21. It seems that the only missing part is showing ablative shielding on pods. Otherwise, the temperatures showed up and seemed to work. I didn't try reentry though - some other mods were causing problems, and I removed most of them to be safe.

That's propably from g-force damage. Do you send the pods just straight up to 200 km?

I've actually been noticing this problem also. And it happens after re-entry from an almost circular 200 km orbit. Only this happens with radially attached parachutes, after the whole fiery part is done. I wait until I get to about 1km and deploy the parachute. It flies out and immediately explodes. Since I have two of them, I check the other's temp and it's around 40C once we pass below supersonic speeds, which is dangerously close to the ground. I release the second parachute, and it too also breaks almost immediately. On the Flight Log, it says they both were destroyed due to re-entry heat, despite there being nothing hazardous to them as far as I could tell. Any Idea why this is happening?

I've actually been noticing this problem also. And it happens after re-entry from an almost circular 200 km orbit. Only this happens with radially attached parachutes, after the whole fiery part is done. I wait until I get to about 1km and deploy the parachute. It flies out and immediately explodes. Since I have two of them, I check the other's temp and it's around 40C once we pass below supersonic speeds, which is dangerously close to the ground. I release the second parachute, and it too also breaks almost immediately. On the Flight Log, it says they both were destroyed due to re-entry heat, despite there being nothing hazardous to them as far as I could tell. Any Idea why this is happening?

sounds like geforce to me. dont depoly your chute if u going to fast. the mod not perfect and sometimes lists gefoce damage as heat.also mod chutes tend to not works so well with DE. try ent4ering again but stare at your gefoce gauge. anything over half way will rip off your chute. also try strutting it to the side one on top and bottom of the chute should help stop it ripping off.

Could it be that you were lower than 500 m above ground, and the chutes went directly to full deployment? That would cause great stress on your vessel. Also, why are you going so fast so close to the ground? Are you using FAR?

My first probe landing on Duna went similar, only that the parachutes were strutted very well. So my entire probe exploded from g-force damage when the chutes deployed fully, and I all I had left were two parachute hulls dangling below their silky load, sinking very slowly onto the surface...:)

I thought this mod was FAR compatible. That said, I don't know how this kind of stuff works in real life, but it seems a bit counteractive that parachutes would suddenly go from partially deployed to fully deployed, which basically guarantees they'll snap off in this mod when using FAR.