Steam Vs. Ksp Store

Penguinhero

Steam Vs. Ksp Store  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Steam Vs. Ksp Store

• Steam
    • Ksp Store

I don't know about KSP on Steam, but all the other games with Steam have DRM, they will launch Steam if you copy them elsewhere, and you won't be able to play them without Steam installed and logged in....

While you're right in saying that most games on Steam try to authenticate through Steam, KSP will still run successfully without it.

This also works for some other games, you'll find a lot of people resorting to 'launching the exe from the game folder' in case they can't launch Steam.

If you look in your Steam Apps Folder you will see the KSP folder, From here there is a .exe (Known as an executible) this is how we started the game before it was on steam. With this established you can copy/paste the KSP folder anywhere you please.

• 4 months later...

Steam,

there's a good reason for that...

see... you get 4 trading cards playing the game via steam

and then if you sell them in the market, you get ~$0.4-$0.6 depending on your luck

and 0.6/23.9 = 2.5%

ie, it's a 2.5% off for the game if you buy in in steam.

I bought it at the KSP store before it was available on Steam, and transferred to Steam the minute it was available. Back when I bought it it was impossible for me to log into the account I had just created because it said the password was wrong, and it was impossible to reset the password. Therefore I couldn't download the game, although I had already paid for it. I torrented with the logic that it's okay to snatch a gumball out of someone's hand if they accepted your money and said they'd give you the gumball in exchange.

The KSP store must be much better nowadays, so I would buy it from there again to help out Squad, but I like running it off of Steam for the features.

Lot's of good arguments for either side, but I'm staying with the KSP store (even thou I use steam for many other games). These are my reasons;

What if steam changes, or is sold to another company? It's just another layer of possible problems and as Brabbit1987 said there is a degree of risk that maybe you can no longer access it. Small risk but it's something I've always felt about steam; I'm trusting my game archive to a 3rd party corporation who've not said "if anything happens to us, we'll make sure you get original CD copies of all your data".

I hate steam based achievements! I like to immerse in whatever game I'm playing and find little windows popping up to tell you did something mind-numbingly trivial really breaks the immersion. I know KSP doesn't have any steam achievements yet, but I'm sure they will come and then popup just as your trying to film a cinematic shot of something.

I know I can tell steam not to update and I can tell it I want multiple copies (atleast I've heard that is possible), but why would I want to be configuring something just to get me back to how I have it now? As Subcidal said It's extra steps between bread and toast and it's an extra process running and using memory.

I don't often update straightaway when a new version comes out, I usually wait and see what people say, so I've never had issues with the ksp store being slow. On the times that I have updated straightaway the worst was that I had to reload the page a couple of times before it would let me view it, then it DL'd fine.

If I want to do a fresh install of KSP I just have to unpack a zip that I already have and not wait for it to be downloaded again.

I like that I have a folder containing ksp zips for each version going back to when I started playing (I may never use them, but I still like to have them!)

"Connection Failed"

"Play Offline"

You don't need to have Steam running to play KSP, even if you buy through Steam. Just create a shortcut to the KSP executable wherever you like and run it directly. That's how I do it. I only load up Steam to play games that require it, or to update (which is usually a LOT faster than people who update KSP through the KSP servers; Valve has a much bigger server infrastructure to handle the load!).

Love steam. I hated it at first (i must have been 12 or 13 years old at that point)

But with internet being so readily available I dont see a problem with having to be online to play my games. My routers current session time is 102 days and should i take my laptop out and about i can just either log into a wifi hotspot or (more commonly) teather my phone to it. See Note at bottom.

The biggest plus now is, other than x3 and the stalker series, all my games are in one place and i dont have to worry about lsing the discs or anything like that. If i want to delete a game I can but its still easy to find should i want to play it. Plus being able to just download a game with just one click...Im sorry but I'm a sucker for any system that reduces an entire process into one click.

There will always be those who are worried about valve going bust and not getting their games back. I personally dont see it as a concern and (please dont take offense to this) feel those people are a little bit stuck in the past and afraid of change. Cloud computing and DRM are the way forward. Hell we even use a form of cloud computing at work...If our IT department screws up then the whole building is screwed. You just have to have faith!

I love this new fangled DRM. Also, with the advent of steam...I havent pirated a game or even needed to pirate a game since i was a usefull teen (ha, i joke, i wouldnt and never have pirated anything). Steam just makes me lazy.

Another thumbs up I want to give valve. Every time i open up steam I'm not bombarded by "we think you may also like these games" they just have the featured games page and im free to throw my cash at them as I please. Speaking of throwing cash at valve... summer sales will be on us before we know it :D

NOTE: this was one of the big media uproars about the xbox always needing an internet connection. The majority of people who will be buying an xbox one will probably have a reliable internet connection. However the uk has pretty good internet coverage so i cant talk about remote villages in the various u.s states and other foreign countries.

Edited by vetrox

Honestly if It wasn't for steam I'd never of found this game.

Back in the day I'd spend ages updating games, sorting out folders to keep things tidy etc etc. Steam kick ass imo. I realise it isn't for everyone though, mac users mostly, but they are always working on it, and have a strong interest in the community and its projects.

Yeah Valve fanboy.

There's one big reason why I hate steam:

*Clicks on steam*

"Cannot connect to steam network"

*No option for offline*

*Internet working fine*

*Clicks "Ok"*

*window closes, steam did not start*

*Repeats x1000*

*Rage quits*

And that is why I will never transfer to steam... I only use steam if a game requires it.

EDIT: Here's a pic I found from Google:

steambeta.png

As you can see, no offline...

And this thread is definitely old, as it appears that I already voted...:D

Edited by RocketPilot573

Humm When steam network is down or I'm down there is an option to start in offline mode. Also you can launch KSP from you steam directory. I think it is in your drive/steamapps/common/KSP or something like that.

Some things about steam... First, if you use the shortcut on your desktop that Steam puts there, it launches with steam://appid instead of c:\progra~1\steam\steamapps\common\ksp\ksp.exe. If you directly LINK to ksp.exe, you should be good to go.

Second, I ran into the "Can't connect" error a couple days ago, while I was streaming netflix, while I was downloading an ISO, and it came up with "Can't connect". So it isn't about network connectivity from my point of interest, but, how busy Steam is that I don't and will not trust.

I should change my signature to state "I was burned by the SimCity 2013 release!"

Steam offline mode only works if you were logged in (online) and then lose the connection. You cannot boot offline.

Personally I love steam. All my games readily available online, auto-updated and installed with two simple clicks.

Next to that come the community features including friends list, and stuff like steam workshop, something that a mod-dependent game like KSP can make great use of.

Since I'm strongly against Steam's policies, it's KSP Store all the way for me. Although, I think there are some fishy parts in their EULA which in fact can't be agreed away according to the European Consumer Rights Directive. Still, kudos for an EULA you can actually read through in less than five minutes.