[20.2] KW Rocketry 2.4

Winston

Fairings are broken.

Tried both sizes, expanded and non. The meshes don't line up so there's both a large gap between the fairing halves and after you put the nose fairing on, only the first additional section will line up vertically if you flip it around. Subsequent section's mesh's will collide.

You have to place the nosecone first, using the floating node points, then attach the walls to the nosecone, one by one.

I was thinking about cloning some of the 3M parts myself and increasing the scale to be 5M. The new features of 0.20 makes this somewhat easier. You no longer have to clone the entire part subdirectory, rather you can copy the part.cfg, rename it to something unique, and change the name, id, and rescale factor inside the new config file. This way, it uses the same texture without having to load it twice (which is what happened with the old method.) This is what B9 did with a lot of their parts that make use of the same textures, and why it saved a lot on memory this time around.

That is exactly what I have done. It works fine. Just make sure to scale the mass and fuel volume by the correct amount, which for scaling 3.75m parts to 5m is (5/3.75)3.

Does anyone have the merged models and 5m config that was being talked about a few pages ago(and by ZRM above)? Linking those would be most appreciated. Don't even need to organize them, i'll figure it out.

I was thinking about cloning some of the 3M parts myself and increasing the scale to be 5M. The new features of 0.20 makes this somewhat easier. You no longer have to clone the entire part subdirectory, rather you can copy the part.cfg, rename it to something unique, and change the name, id, and rescale factor inside the new config file. (snip)

It's even easier than that. You only need one part.cfg, with multiple entries in it. That's what I did to consolidate all of the fairings, decouplers, nose cones, and RCS fuel tanks in my local copy of KW - I have one KWFairingBase.cfg, with each size's cfg file copied into it.

Faring halves don't match up.

PPa8ehp.jpg

So before you ask:

These parts are all 2.5m expanded fairings.

Placed the base, then the nose cone, then the fairing walls. Exactly like in the video.

The same thing happens whether you are using the 1.25 or 3.75m fairings (expanded or not).

It's even easier than that. You only need one part.cfg, with multiple entries in it. That's what I did to consolidate all of the fairings, decouplers, nose cones, and RCS fuel tanks in my local copy of KW - I have one KWFairingBase.cfg, with each size's cfg file copied into it.

Really? I'm guessing that each entry is enclosed in their own PART { } sections, so this allows multiple parts per config file...that's...brilliant actually. I imagine doing this for all the identical fairings, decouplers, and nosecones also helps to save on memory too.

Well, if you consider those 2kbs an improvement...and for ppl using the debug console to reload stuff they were changing it takes longer to reload the models...

I'm not sure what you mean, or if you were even talking to me in the first place.

What i don't understand in this packadge is the way you connect different stages.. They are wobbling as maniacs..

Use those hollow engine shrouds or stage adapters. Attach them underneath the rocket (they will cover up the engines then) and as a bonus they also act as decouplers. If it's still wobbly, then struts.

I'm not sure what you mean, or if you were even talking to me in the first place.

A cfg. has roughly 2kb, and you really are saving time just to the point the CPU hasnt got to open yet another .cfg, but reads thru a longer one.I cannot imagine myself any performance increase by doing so even to all parts...

Hey rcxbgvkz, do you have an older version of KW, or did you download the new one? It looks like you might be missing the scale adjustment, and downloading 2.4 should fix it.

It's not an older version. Its a fresh, up to date install of KSP with a fresh install of KW rocketry, which I downloaded maybe 20 minutes before I took that screenshot.

A cfg. has roughly 2kb, and you really are saving time just to the point the CPU hasnt got to open yet another .cfg, but reads thru a longer one.I cannot imagine myself any performance increase by doing so even to all parts...

I think you misunderstand how part files work. The difference is way more than saving 2k from the extra config file.

Say I have 5 tanks that are all textured with identical textures, just rescaled to the size of the part. If those parts are installed, KSP loads each part in its entirety on every load of the game. If they're separate parts, that same tank texture is reloaded five times into five separate memory spaces. If it's a 100k texture, that's half a meg of memory overhead for the 5 tanks.

With the 0.20 system, a part can contain multiple scales of the same texture, which only loads once. Redoing my five tanks to be a single .cfg with part variations defined within reduces my memory overhead from 500k to 100k. That's a significant improvement. Look at B9 Aerospace -- by using the new methods, they shaved something like 45 megs off their texture load overhead. The new method greatly improves KSP's memory usage, which is vital to those of us who use a lot of mods and therefore are running up against the 32-bit memory allocation limit.

You DO realize I know that, dont you? Im using that on myself, Castun said that AFTER having the same texture,models,etc. in the same folder with several part.cfgs there could be some optimizing done by joining those part.cfgs into a single one with more Part () thingys...And that 2kb difference wont matter a lot...seems you havent really understood me,eh?

You DO realize I know that, dont you? Im using that on myself, Castun said that AFTER having the same texture,models,etc. in the same folder with several part.cfgs there could be some optimizing done by joining those part.cfgs into a single one with more Part () thingys...And that 2kb difference wont matter a lot...seems you havent really understood me,eh?

When I was talking about combining the parts files into the same config, I wasn't talking about saving space at that point, just that it would be a little easier to keep organized. Then I mentioned I too would have to combine those fairings and stuff, since they appear to mostly share the same models & textures.

Question. Has anyone else actually managed to make this work with 0.20.2? I've tried both loading it into the 'Gamedata' folder, and manually moving each to the 'parts' side both. In the former case, NOTHING shows up. In the latter, the fairings and such don't show up. Help?

Question. Has anyone else actually managed to make this work with 0.20.2? I've tried both loading it into the 'Gamedata' folder, and manually moving each to the 'parts' side both. In the former case, NOTHING shows up. In the latter, the fairings and such don't show up. Help?
Works perfectly.

the fairing kits are in aero tab now...I thought they was gone for a second too

No, I understood you perfectly. What I misunderstood was how GDb orders its loading operations. I was under the impression that the part/cfg level loading was done first, and then it loaded textures/sounds/etc within a given part framework, but said textures/sounds/etc could be referenced independently from the part/cfg file structure (i.e. part002 could reference part001's texture, and there wouldn't be a need to have that texture duplicated in each part folder it was used in, as was necessary before). Which, if it were true, means that Catsun's plan saved disk space, but not program memory overhead; only organizing into a single part/cfg would save memory. Ergo, I thought you didn't realize that the change actually would have substance.

However, after further review, that's not how it works. It loads all the assets first, then parses the part/cfg files by looking at the cross-links to the loaded assets within those cfgs. So all you have to do is keep your textures/sounds within the new GameData structure and re-reference within the part .cfg files to get both the disk space and the system memory benefits. So in fact you're correct, and it doesn't have an impact at all.

So my bad. Carry on....

So, is there a video that shows how to actually use the fairings for useful stuff, like putting stuff inside them? I'm having problems figuring out how to build them around probes and such.

Yes, there is a fairing demo video embedded in the first post.

So, is there a video that shows how to actually use the fairings for useful stuff, like putting stuff inside them? I'm having problems figuring out how to build them around probes and such.

Thanks!

build the probe, mount fairing base under probe, mount fairing nose, add fairing walls down from nose to base