Put a satellite in Mun orbit

I've pretty much got it down putting a satellite and Kerbian in Kerbal orbit and now I want to put a Satellite in Mun orbit.

I'm still pretty unsure on setting orbits and the like - easy enough getting in Kerbal orbit, but leaving Kerbal orbit and going into Mun orbit is yet beyond me.

Suggestions?

Once you have a stable orbit around Kerbin you need to do a planetary transfer. This requires a fair amount of extra fuel beyond what it takes to get into LKO. The easiest way to learn how to do a planetary transfer is to create a maneuver node and increase the prograde burn until it just crosses the Mun's orbit. Then you can move the node around until you find a spot that gives a good interception with the Mun. You'll know that you have this when it displays a periapsis for the Mun. If you just burn at the node accordingly you'll be well on your way to the Mun. Another node can be placed at the Mun's periapsis burning retrograde so that you get captured by the Mun instead of shooting by on an escape path.

If any of this isn't clear I recommend reading (or rereading) the wiki article on the nodes: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Maneuver_node_explained

I did a few screenshots of my last Mun mission, which shows the steps I took to achieve a Mun orbit. They may help you visualise what you need to do, but there are a few video tutorials out there that you may find more useful.

Here are the screenshots in case they help.

Mun01.jpg

Mun02.jpg

Mun03.jpg

Mun04.jpg

Mun05.jpg

Mun06.jpg

Mun07.jpg

Mun08.jpg

Mun09.jpg

Mun10.jpg

I guess the biggest issue is just that nothing is labeled. I also have no idea what good making Mun a "target" does. It's not like it's plotting a course for me or anything. Also, which of the icons in the artificial horizon do you follow? I always assumed it was the one that you used when you made the maneuver in the map mode. Is this correct?

Thank you all for your help thus far!

Making Mun a target gives you inclination nodes on your own orbit. Making an intercept is a lot easier if your orbit is on the same plane as Mun, and the inclination nodes will tell you how far off you are. Using the manoeuvre node to set up an intercept path will give you a blue target on your nav ball, and if you line up with this and do your burn an equal amount either side of the t=0 countdown, you should be on a flight path that will give you a Mun encounter. Once you get to the Mun encounter, burning retrograde (the yellow symbol with a cross through it) should be enough to put you in orbit around the Mun.

If you are struggling to understand the nav ball, I really do recommend that you look up some of the Youtube tutorials that are out there, as they are extremely helpful.

The easy, seat-of-the-pants way to do it is to park in a normal equatorial orbit, then wait until the Mun is visible on the horizon. As soon as you see the Mun, burn prograde, and check the map. Once you hit 3100-3200 m/s you'll get an encounter with the Mun. You can then adjust with small burns, and when you get to Mun periapsis, you brake by burning retrograde to enter Mun orbit.

The easy, seat-of-the-pants way to do it is to park in a normal equatorial orbit, then wait until the Mun is visible on the horizon. As soon as you see the Mun, burn prograde, and check the map. Once you hit 3100-3200 m/s you'll get an encounter with the Mun. You can then adjust with small burns, and when you get to Mun periapsis, you brake by burning retrograde to enter Mun orbit.

Alot of people do this when they build moon bases etc on youtube, never tried it but thx for the tip. (not my thread but anyway)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.