SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

The Spikeback Mk 2 extended capacity VTOLS SSTO.

Takes nine kerbals to LKO, lands anywhere. Limited range. Slight lack of ladders...

GkwEaoi.png

z9JUwwb.jpg

The Spikeback Mk 2 extended range variant VTOL SSTO

A smidgin under 45 tons, this, with patience, takes five kerbals to orbit, burning an enormous amount of fuel on the way but having a fair heap left afterwards. Tricky to land with a very occasional tendency to spontaneously disassemble. (Still in development)

WQUXNol.jpg

BnUWTJD.jpg

I wanted a way to bring reasonably large objects into space. Maybe refueling missions, busing kerbals to and from work... launching probes, space station segments, whatever.

So having never built a space plane before I decided to just go for it and skip small and went straight for trying to loft 2 orange max tanks.

After several hours watching my hard work explode in various entertaining ways, I came up with this:

rbGubLV.png

8THB3vI.png

While I was able to get it into orbit empty, it was just not gonna happen with 70 tons of tanks inside it. Aside from the fact that it was seriously unstable on reentry (never did get it down safely).

So I scaled back a bit and came up with this model which can easily get 40 tons of cargo into orbit:

yEWw2Fn.png

I even got it docked to my ring station which I had thought was reasonably large up until now:

bEjglV9.png

fcTkuDx.png

It was only after I undocked and tried to reenter that I found this one was also VERY unstable on reentry. So F9 and leave it in orbit for a while as I didn't want to lose Bill and Bob. I experimented some more and launched a number of variants:

upWAgfk.png

They all made it to orbit but just couldn't seem to reenter without tumbling.

I finally figured out the problem was mounting the wings flat. Once I mounted them lower and angled them up enough things smoothed out greatly on the reentries. TAC fuel balancer also helped by shifting all the remaining fuel weight to the front tanks during reentry and then back to the middle for landing.

This is from the last test flight before the rescue attempt:

QzEdSaB.png

Now I was finally ready to go rescue Bill and Bob. I put a crew tank and 2 science probes in the cargo bay. Why waste a whole trip on just a rescue mission?

T4Tc6KT.png

So I picked up Bill and Bob and sent the old, now un-crewed, SSTO to a crash landing in the ocean. I did take pics of the rescue but it was on the dark side and it's really hard to see anything so I skipped those.

My finally working design reentering in all it's glory:

Hm0YKWQ.png

N7pv03Y.png

yx1AObf.png

4ShgI7x.png

gUOusac.png

And landing back at KSP:

eGlj23Q.png

yO3XWnH.png

Z07AzSw.png

IBXdxrP.png

NOTE: Bill and Bob don't have their orange suits due to universe replacer.

So now I'm thinking maybe if I angle the wings on that 1st design and add a few more engines, maybe I CAN get 80 tons up in one go... ;)

Edited by dc4bs

DC4bs, great looking craft, I can give you a tip on the large Space plane SSTOs.

Add a few struts along the sides of your cargo bay, from the forward section to the aft section. It will take a great will of flex from the hull of the craft making them a lot easier to handle. The other thing is more struts on the wings, they will tend to "flap" under more than 4Gs, they don't have to be long struts but they do help.

Lastly, SABRES are great, but EAT UP FUEL. If you can get away with it, put one nuke engine on there in place of one of the large SABREs, it will help with working in space and not eating all of your fuel while doing it. The trade off is you will have some LONG burn times. I even go with 4 smaller LV-Ns at 60kn each they are great for that job.

I have a lot of pending projects in my hangar that have all achieved SSTO flight. Some of them need tons more work, but I just want to share because it's fun.

First up is a small SSTO meant to go to the Mun and back in one trip (landing horizontally on the moon, like a proper VTOL plane). It needs more fuel, and probably a minor redesign to reduce weight, but it looks like this:

AbWf4o5.png

Next is a LKO md/lg hauler that I intend to use to help build a new, low part count Space Station. I'm trying to figure out a way to do a reliable set of doors for this thing. I may do a removable / replaceable Hatch, as I have been very unimpressed with the landing leg door, or any sliding hangar door systems I have tried to construct.

1ovJdw3.png

I'm also doing a big Drop ship. It's meant to deliver Moon Base parts. Horizontal landing on the moon (and Kerbin, but that's really inefficient with rockets). It has quite a lot of work to be done with regards to fuel flow and balance in vacuum. It flies beautifully, however.

vRzGpZD.png

I'm developing a series of standardized Sky Cranes as well (also to deliver moonbase parts). I only mention this in the SSTO thread because structurally they are based on the innards of my SSTO Dropship. They will be adaptable for all sorts of payloads with weird CoM problems because of lessons learned in SSTO cargo bay construction. Not exactly sexy, but they are pretty useful.

I0BAYHz.png

I also have some finished designs that I haven't released due to them not offering much beyond cool aesthetics and basic functionality. Any Interest?

Waverider 1

nd9qhyS.png

Waverider 2

NlWGhAv.png

Edited by Exothermos

I finally made a functional VTOL SSTO Aircraft!!

Craft file for those interested » http://www./view/63byk1d41xn7jt8/VTOL_SSTO_Mk2.craft

IT CAN LAND ON THE ROOF WITH THE HELI-PADS AFTER FLYING AROUND THE PLANET!

I win the game (â—‰vâ—‰)

Flight instructions.. mmm..

Fly up to 15,000 then slowly level out so by 20,000 you are going up very slowly then fly to as close to 30,000 as you can without flame out, use Action Group (3) to shut down the outer most Jet Engines, then throttle down so you don’t flame out, activate Nuclear Engines with action group (6) and keep throttling down so you don’t flame out until just before 40,000. Then Shut down the two remaining jet engines with action group (2) and close Air Intakes with Action Group (1) and then throttle right up with the nuclear engines and pull up and push yourself into orbit.

Vertical Jet Engines are action group (4), and I have placed two small rocket engines inside the jet engines, use them when you need a quick punch of thrust on landing.. for when the Jet Engines don’t provide enough thrust.

The two little vertical rocket engines are action group (5)

Another tip would be to use the two vertical jet engines to punch yourself off the ground when taking off... so do a conventional take off then jump off the ground with the two vertical engines before the end of the runway.

: >

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_munooarQo11r2k180o10_1280.jpg

That would be a good challenge for people.. create an SSTO that can do one orbit of Kerbin, de-orbit, then land on the heli-pad on the roof, without refueling.

I know some of you already have craft that can do this, but for those that don't... a pretty good challenge for you.

Edited by KissSh0t

Congratulations! As you've discovered, VTOL SSTO are not easy to pull off at all.

That would be a good challenge for people.. create an SSTO that can do one orbit of Kerbin, de-orbit, then land on the heli-pad on the roof, without refueling.

I know some of you already have craft that can do this, but for those that don't... a pretty good challenge for you.

Definitely something to consider, if you enjoy working with atmospheric craft.

DC4bs, great looking craft, I can give you a tip on the large Space plane SSTOs.

Add a few struts along the sides of your cargo bay, from the forward section to the aft section. It will take a great will of flex from the hull of the craft making them a lot easier to handle. The other thing is more struts on the wings, they will tend to "flap" under more than 4Gs, they don't have to be long struts but they do help.

Lastly, SABRES are great, but EAT UP FUEL. If you can get away with it, put one nuke engine on there in place of one of the large SABREs, it will help with working in space and not eating all of your fuel while doing it. The trade off is you will have some LONG burn times. I even go with 4 smaller LV-Ns at 60kn each they are great for that job.

Thanks for the advice!

Fuel use in orbit is the biggest problem with my design... I make orbit with about 1/2 my fuel or more left over and it's gone by the time I rendezvous. This idea should let me remove that extra gray fuel tank in the bay allowing for even more cargo.

As for strutting the cargo bay, it is strutted internally. :)

I have a tiny strut cube placed in the middle on either side. a strut goes from the end wall to that middle cube on each side and 2 more struts go from the end wall to the internal side wall on each corner for a total of 12 struts inside the bay. There are 4 of those little asterisk looking electrical generators (one tucked into each corner) of the bay as well as 6 of the larger white dome lights placed around the bay. There are a couple struts to each wing if you look close as well. Yo can see some of that stuff in the bay if you look at the 7th picture full size (right click -> view image -> left click to use the magnifier over the cargo bay (the full image size is 1920x1280).

Flight profile on Bertha at the moment is full throttle to the end of the runway, climb at about 1/2-2/3 throttle @ 30 degrees or so to about 16-18k. Go to full throttle and start leveling off for a long slow climb to about 24-25k @ 1700 Mps. Gradually nose up to 30-35 degrees and when the first engine flames out, switch the 4 wing engines and the center tail engine over to rocket power (#1). At 2nd flame out, switch the remaining two engines to rocket and close the intakes (#2). Cut power when apogee gets where I want it and toggle the 4 wing engines off (#3) as they are slightly higher than COG and cause issues thrusting in orbit. Circularize.

Landing is transfer all remaining fuel as far forward as possible. De-orbit burn. Point ship prograde with wings level at between 0 and -5 degrees. Re-enable the wing engines (#3), open the intakes and change 2 main engines to air-breathing (#2), change remaining engines to air-breathing (#1). Manually disable the 2 outer main engines as the ship is now very overpowered with all engines on and no cargo/little fuel remaining. Re-enter, balance the fuel again and land... (the hardest part).

Edited by dc4bs

Well, he can get out now.

He couldn't get up the ladder though...

3Inlww1.jpg

Hehe :D Gotta hate the random problems that don't arise until the very end of your design phase. I've had to redo entire designs because the pilot couldn't get out/in. I had a cool design that was bugged because it mass ejected the pilot every time he went to EVA due of intake clipping lol.

I can't really make it look right without the black stripe down the side. I can submit it as it is if you like?

Except it probably needs a ladder or two...

I call that a feature. Now with Assisted Exit Capabilities! :D

I have a lot of pending projects in my hangar that have all achieved SSTO flight. Some of them need tons more work, but I just want to share because it's fun.

[..]

I'm also doing a big Drop ship. It's meant to deliver Moon Base parts. Horizontal landing on the moon (and kerban, but that's really inefficient with rockets). It has quite a lot of work to be done with regards to fuel flow and balance in vacuum. It flies beautifully, however.

I'm developing a series of standardized Sky Cranes as well (also to deliver moonbase parts). I only mention this in the SSTO thread because structurally they are based on the innards of my SSTO Dropship. They will be adaptable for all sorts of payloads with weird CoM problems because of lessons learned in SSTO cargo bay construction. Not exactly sexy, but they are pretty useful.

[...]

Exo, the dropship looks cool as boop. If it is controllable at all, I want a craft file (and I don't say that often!). Demonstrably better looking than I could myself do! But if you want more stupidly over-complicated skycrane ideas, I have an Eagle lookalike in my thread you can steal a few ideas from. Like the fuel flow and weight balance, I nailed that one.

Mosquito SSTO VTOL.

(I may have become a little obsessed with making these things)

And that's a good thing. I myself stopped at about Mk... XXV? At least for now. I might have gotten to thirty with the special jobs, and if you count the failures... Anyhow, you know which is the best one among them? The last one I built :D

Rune. But that mosquito looks sexy indeed.

For KissShot's non-refuel, orbit, de-orbit, VAB helipad landing challenge:

This VTOL SSTO orbiter is based on NASA's DC-X reusable launch vehicle and MeticulousMitch's StaboJet VTOL design, so no funky loss of control during flame-out.

Reaching a stable orbit is a breeze (*cough* air-spam tech), control during touchdown is quite tricky to say the least... as a result landing on the helipad from orbit took a more than a couple of Kerbals attempts...

Mods used: B9

yuEXwWH.png

n0aeTrH.png

pjoBScI.png

6BgfJox.png

92tl0tD.png

3Y0fun9.png

ZiEvF7n.png

zuXONgr.png

1nqy9Xg.png

zL2M0Gr.png

Edited by Yakuzi