SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Is this a VTOL as well since it doesn't have wings or does it start out vertically (on its tail)? I'd like to see more pics of this one :D

It is a VTOL, and my most perfect orbital shuttle to date. It does start and land on it's tail, very stable, can land on uneven surfaces. just wanna think about your descent though as it uses parachutes to land, then pilot gets out to repack the chutes. Liquid fuel engine for zero atmosphere vtol

2013-09-30_00006_zps206694ab.jpg~original

2013-09-30_00015_zpsef018e3b.jpg~original

Edited by ihmawrtl
additional info

It is a VTOL, and my most perfect orbital shuttle to date. It does start and land on it's tail, very stable, can land on uneven surfaces. just wanna think about your descent though as it uses parachutes to land, then pilot gets out to repack the chutes. Liquid fuel engine for zero atmosphere vtol

Very cool! This is the kind of stuff we design at SSI. Almost all of my ships are VTOL now (although they're belly landers) just because they're so versatile!

You should check out the thread since its got a bunch of different shuttle designs like yours. :D I'm sure inigma would try to recruit you as well hehe.

Very cool! This is the kind of stuff we design at SSI. Almost all of my ships are VTOL now (although they're belly landers) just because they're so versatile!

i would have originally liked to have made it a belly lander, but having it vertical suits my needs better for accessibility and so it doesnt need wings at all so it flies a dream. originally had trouble landing in atmosphere due to using only parachutes to slow down (so it can make it down without expending delta v, so you can return) and keeping it from falling, but it touches down nice and easy with no assistance. is designed to be a orbit-to-ground-and-return crew transport craft that docks with my space engine for interplanetary travel.

may i ask what it is you prefer about belly landers?

had a look at that link; some awesome designs, definitely love ssto shuttles. cheap crew transport ftw

Here are some of my HTHL SSTOs, they work more or less ....but the take off is a pain, the wings to large...

y7V5NpL.png

so exclusively for the Oktoberfest the bavarian space agency switched to a new line of VTVL SSTOs

Floh is just a SpaceTaxi, for fast transfers to LEO

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hendl is a crazy chicken that lifts a 15 ton payload into LEO with a total mass of 98 tons

Here are some of my HTHL SSTOs, they work more or less ....but the take off is a pain, the wings to large...

y7V5NpL.png

so exclusively for the Oktoberfest the bavarian space agency switched to a new line of VTVL SSTOs

Floh is just a SpaceTaxi, for fast transfers to LEO

Hendl is a crazy chicken that lifts a 15 ton payload into LEO with a total mass of 98 tons

INCREDIBLE! What is the delta v on both the Floh and Hendl? I also noticed that the landing struts look different... what mod did you use (other than B9)?

INCREDIBLE! What is the delta v on both the Floh and Hendl? I also noticed that the landing struts look different... what mod did you use (other than B9)?

O Floh i have "LMP3 Lander Peg" oviously not stock and Hendl uses Lt-1. I think all other parts are B9 or stock + b.o.s.s ,fuel balancer and mechjeb

On Floh i use two Sabre S on Hendl one Sabre M + six D-30F7...and so i don´t know how to calculate any reliable delta v. Floh uses air-breathing up to 27.000m an 1680 m/s .

Heres my Design.

Quite the ugly duckling (and not very efficient compared to a plane) and while not a plane it is a SSTO, Created because I needed an easy to use transport that could ferry 10 Kerbals to orbit (I am absolutely horrible at getting a plane into orbit). But it will go up 75Km with 10 Kerbals, docks at my Laythe station and lands back down for later use all in 1 piece :D

SRjH2F9.jpg

Towing that thing all the way to Laythe was a wobbly nightmare LOL.

Edited by Arendey

Qey89uG.png

Revelation Ixb Call It A Holy Fight - and my very first Kerbal boots on Laythe, skilfully worn here by Malton Kerman. The ship was launched from Kerbin then ferried over to Laythe and refueled. It needs a lot of refinement!

I was aiming for a sightseeing flight alongside the big cliffs, but seriously messed up the approach and had to divert to this place. There should be enough left in the tanks to make orbit here so long as I don't mess up... I'm a bad pilot. :)

Here is my newest bird... SP-313. Now that I have figured out the procedural wings I don't think I will ever go back.

1uyd.jpg

i1q8.jpg

I haven't fully tested its cargo capacity yet, but estimate it to be around 30 tons. It handles like a dream once it gets over 9km but otherwise is a bit wobbly, and thats due to the tail movement. This design I have also made atmosphere safe, so no nuclear engines on this one. This particular mission for this craft is to head to Minimus land the lander then head to the Mun and land the same lander then return to Kerbin.

I rebuilt an old SSTO from scratch with the sole purpose of being fast to the point of circularizing an orbit around planet Kerbin using only jet engines~

And I made a new speed record for myself using only jet engines [2396.0m/s]

(゜-゜)

tumblr_mu35a7MSv31r2k180o1_1280.png

tumblr_mu35a7MSv31r2k180o2_1280.png

tumblr_mu35a7MSv31r2k180o3_1280.png

And bam! It's in proper orbit.

Made some changes since the previous post. It has jump jets also.. so it can short take off.. Going to try landing on Duna.. but need to re-fuel.

tumblr_mu3c6akVmT1r2k180o1_1280.png

tumblr_mu3c6akVmT1r2k180o2_1280.png

tumblr_mu3c6akVmT1r2k180o3_1280.png

tumblr_mu3c6akVmT1r2k180o4_1280.png

AWESOME! Now that you've gotten it "almost" to full orbit with jets, try replacing the rocket engines with nukes. Your delta v will skyrocket and you'll make your ssto an Interplanetary SSTO.

AWESOME! Now that you've gotten it "almost" to full orbit with jets, try replacing the rocket engines with nukes. Your delta v will skyrocket and you'll make your ssto an Interplanetary SSTO.

It does~ It has 2 Nukes~ I will post the craft file later today.. I need to test it's de-orbit to make sure it can do the whole SSTO role first xD

FatNose "Rondine"

Specs:

Weight: 9.76 Tons

DryWeight: 7.86 Tons

Cost: 46.92 M$

Crew Capacity: 5

Parts Count: 97

Kerbal/fuel x mission: .384 Tons

Full balanced Rcs

Nose Shielded Docking Port

Full Ladder access (both from the P10 than from the MKII cockpit)

Surface Speed: 2210 m/s (35000 mts)

Mission Profile:

SpacePort->Orbit (120 km)->Orbital Rendezvous (100 Km)->Docking->Deorbit->KSC landing.

Full mechjeb compatible.

Exceptional flying in ANY load condition

Amphibious Version/Stock Version (mechJeb)

I spent some time to create this tool. The main goal of the project was to create a crew Transport SSTO with the lowest Mission/cost profile. This SSTO was created to be VERY easy to fly (extremely balanced in any load condition), with a few part count and under the 10 tons of weight. I did many SSTO's and this one is probably the ugliest I make, but probably is second to no one in terms of performance and mission cost. Just think about the weight and the crew capacity. The data are related to the Amphibious version.

I deeply tested all specs.

here some pics (with data so you can make your considerations)

Edited by pinolallo

I'm not very happy with this SSTO : /

What it does very good... Go Very Fast and can circularize an orbit using only jet engines.

What it does poorly.. Re-entry.

It is unstable on re-entry but if treated carefully it is controllable, the reason is center of weight shift when fuel is drained. I really need to strip it and build it again from scratch : I

SSTO Type 25 Ghost Craft File >> http://www./?2ctwrhk36k1s2vi

Action Groups are.

1. Air Intakes + Jet Engines.

2. Nuclear Rockets.

3. Jump Jets. (Use them on Take Off)

4. Nose Docking Port.

5. Solar Panels.

tumblr_mu4qouZIHl1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu4qouZIHl1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu4qouZIHl1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu4qouZIHl1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu4qouZIHl1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

I'm not very happy with this SSTO : /

tumblr_mu4qouZIHl1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

Well you know the saying, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one... But if you can use the aircraft again later it is a GREAT one!" -Launchpad McDuck (Duck Tales)

My third attempt at an SSTO, a huge success!

I've ran two unmanned test flights. One atmospheric with landing on the runway, and another orbital one. The second one was a partial success, because I've got it into a stable LKO, but it was a partial failure too, because it has ran out of power so I couldn't test how it performs when de-orbitng and landing when dry.

The third test flight was manned, and the plane performed like a charm so far, I yet have to test it's de-orbiting characteristics.

I feel quite accomplished because this is the first really reliable SSTO I've made so far, And I'm playing the game since .15 (the spaceplane update)

44.5 Tons on the runway

The design is inspired by the Lockheed SR-71A "Blackbird"

Jzl0Vgk.png

Edited by karolk

GKAf6p0.png

Skurj I Model K Coronium Dog sitting on the runway after a successful first flight. I think I'm getting the hang of this!

(just ignore the various crashed, smashed and broken planes littered around KSC...)

I'm working on the principle that anything which can SSTO Kerbin can SSTO Laythe after having expended a little fuel looking for a landing site. I don't know if it's a valid principle, but it seems like it should be.

In any case, this design has considerably more jet fuel than it needs, so there's plenty of loitering potential.

wAu5bRF.png

Coronium Dog refueled, repositioned and ready to launch.

The performance isn't anything special, it doesn't fly very fast and it doesn't have much spare after reaching orbit, but it doesn't stack intakes or clip engines or any of that malarkey so I'm happy. :blush:

Edited by Silverchain