SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Finally got a SSTO that can not only take off Vertically but it can land vertically and carry a rover! Oh and it doesn't most of its lift created by wings. Its the closest ship I have designed to the shuttles in "Elysium".

ppho.jpg

0gxu.jpg

Not that it doesn't have its bugs.

Extreme SSTO Mk1:

3j2c.png

Wings are outdated ! This "airplane"(SSTO) is at a 160X160Km orbit with half of it's fuel to expend. I managed to make the jet engine work at +60Km with all that air-intakes. I guess it is one of the smallest things(SSTO) that have ever gone to orbit.

Edited by Octagon

I made a SSTO to carry a heavy and very... special.. payload to orbit.

I think I may try that vtol to orbit then to helipad without refueling challenge. I did vtol>orbit>refuel>helipad>orbit before but the refuel was required for balance reasons. It will still be a challenge making a new plane that maintains balance through the trip.

Extreme SSTO Mk1:

3j2c.png

Wings are outdated ! This "airplane"(SSTO) is at a 160X160Km orbit with half of it's fuel to expend. I managed to make the jet engine work at +60Km with all that air-intakes. I guess it is one of the smallest things(SSTO) that have ever gone to orbit.

Octogon, do you think it could pass SSI certification? If so, we might be interested. See link in my sig.

Today impressed by everyone awesome SSTO i made this

7Yfp7qB.png

That thing can get 4 kerbals to orbit, here is jeb having fun on eva:

paOh1Aw.png

Here is on re-entry, plenty of fuel left

flAp0yb.png

Then i tought "does the mk2 command pod have iva view?"

The mouse cursor moved towards the eva/iva buttons and:

mLvZpla.png

STUPID FINGER! I WAS 30KM FROM KSC ;.;

Let me introduce you VTOL space plane with two engines, two heads, legendary the Pushmi-pullyu :). Very simply for ascend and not so simply for descend. dV on 80x80 orbit is 3900-4000 m/s. It has 10 intakes per one engine and can fly with 1/10 throttle at 45 km with speed >2200 m/s. Craft can arrive Mun, Minmus, land and return to home.

Some photos:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft is here

Lowest tech airbreathing SSTO I could come up with. Well, I went a bit luxurious and added wheels and solar panels. ^^'

SHgxZuy.png

It'll make orbit on fumes, but it'll make it. And on the air, it handles like a dream.

Rune. Full SICENCE! compliment available at that tier, too.

Nice Rune! That definitely looks like something a high-class kerbal would fly in :D

Here's my de-militarized Viper, it works much better as an SSTO after I did some tweaks, but mainly just added a 2nd VTOL engine. It's actually one of my better performing VTOL SSTO's!

oewktUb.jpg

Parked in on top of that dome thing at KSC cuz....parkour :D

Lowest tech airbreathing SSTO I could come up with. Well, I went a bit luxurious and added wheels and solar panels. ^^'

SHgxZuy.png

It'll make orbit on fumes, but it'll make it. And on the air, it handles like a dream.

Rune. Full SICENCE! compliment available at that tier, too.

I really really like this~!

And!! It's a Science SSTO!!

I am still trying to unlock parts xD

So Far I have made it to the moon and back to Kerbin and that unlocked a bit... but still need more parts : I

Thanks guys! :blush: I've actually polished it a tiny bit (turns out the number of intakes is kind of irrelevant) and done a heavier version with docking ports and extra delta-v to rendezvous to be able to be kind of useful. It's a bit painful on the way up (by 10kms you are ascending at 10m/s, and rocket switchover is around there), but I'm still sort of amazed by the aerodynamic properties:

jzF62Vw.png

This here is my first docking in career mode, at a very low orbit (71x71km I believe):

3LjXiUp.png

As to how to unlock parts quick, exploiting Kerbin's biomes through suborbital flights and going first for the science parts you only need one or two additional Munar missions to get to the first airplane parts. Just make sure to recover all experiments to get the maximum amount of data.

Rune. I plan on unlocking all the tech tree before leaving kerbin's SOI. :cool:

Edited by Rune

And another VTOL SSTO space plane.. hopefully this one can make it to Dres or Duna and back. Still in the testing phase but 95% complete. Has completed one test run to an orbit of 100x100km with over 60% of its fuel left. And did it in 11minutes to.

The SVO-9 "Goat"

erwo.jpg

Capable of taking off vertically with full Kethane tanks, and 75% fuel, or with just full fuel and no kethane. Or performing a VSTOL take off with full fuel and kethane

yq40.jpg

Under air breathing engine power is capable of Mach 4.2 at an altitude of 34km before switching to rockets.

znym.jpg

And it can mine and process its own Kethane fuel for round trip missions to other worlds.