SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

This is a simple crew shuttle. It'll take 6 kerbals to LKO and back and can be flown unmanned. Looks sleek-ish and handles very well.

Edit: craft file, by popular demand.

Controls

• Staging key toggles engine mode, air intakes, and reaction wheels.
  • Action group 1 toggles docking port shield.
  • Other controls as expected (ladder grouped with landing gear, airbrakes grouped with wheel brakes, etc.)

Launch procedure

1. Zero throttle.
  2. Stage twice.
  3. Full throttle.
  4. Rotate at ~100 m/s.
  5. Nose up ~20 degrees until ~8 km.
  6. Level flight until supersonic.
  7. Resume climb while accelerating.
  8. Stage when air runs out.
  9. Burn as needed for low Kerbin orbit.
  10. Once in space, open docking port shield to expose panels.

Return procedure

1. After deorbit burn, set SAS to prograde.
  2. Transfer all remaining fuel and oxidiser to rearmost tanks.
  3. Close docking port shield.
  4. At 70 km, disengage SAS, stage, extend airbrakes, and set pitch trim to max nose-up.
  5. Once below ~800 m/s, throttle up as needed to reach destination.
  6. Reset trim.
  7. Touch down at ~100 m/s.

Cervice ceiling: ~250x250 km

Stall speed fully fueled: ~60 m/s

Tail wheel will prevent tail strikes during takeoff, but not on touchdown.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640

3/4 view

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640

Profile - note tail wheel

Planform

Docking port with embedded solar panels and lights

CoM and CoL, with airbrakes deployed

Edited by Jens Lyn IV
Added craft file

My latest creation, the Moray Delta II. It can deliver 41.5 tons to an 85 km circular orbit and has a craft : payload ratio of 1 : 2,75. Besides having a very low TWR of 0.60 when fully laden, it still reaches atmospheric speeds of 1.5 km / s on its 8 R.A.P.I.E.R. engines. I will make the craftfile available this evening in my craftfile thread.

Here is the full mission profile:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Frank_G
Added album

This is straight out of my Kerbal Flight labs. I prefer ships with a smaller body profile and carrying less fuel. I got this one running a little less than 1000m/s dV so it could technically ferry Kerbals to a Mun station. It's capable of ferrying Kerbals to Duna on a LKO refuel. It mainly runs on liquid fuel, but I take advantage of the RAPIER's ability to run at high thrust at high altitudes and carry a teeny bit of oxidizer to punch myself out of the atmosphere.

cyIHRrk.png

dMyGxJg.png

V16lILd.png

htmTu4h.jpg

This is one of my latest creations, my yet-to-be-named Liquid Fueled SSTO:

yBwmkXO.png

h4E6Dze.png

I was easily able to get to a 80-80 km orbit with it with fuel to spare. Also, can't forget about those radiators.

M2rquzs.png

The only problem is it has some stability issues when tanks are empty. I'm working on a workaround right now. Nothing some fuel balancing and airbrakes can't fix, I'm sure.

Heya guys,

I thaught, I'd share my long polished SSTM Stefan 3. It's SSTM, because it can go single-stage to Minmus orbit and e.g. refuel with fuel produced on Minmus. This makes it's range reach moons of Duna and Eve (landing capability) and gives it a flyby capability into Jool system. Another refuel in Jool system allows it to fly pretty much anywhere.

Info:

- 1.0.4. compatible;

- pure stock (you can easily add MechJeb, KER, KIS containers and so on;

- reconfigurable (the cargo bay can be switch to the longer variant, the craft will keep its characteristics);

- can reach as far as Jool system and safely return, provided it's completely refuelled Minmus orbit, which it can reach single-stage;

- 2 kerbals capacity;

- 4 jets, 2 rapiers, 2 nukes;

- 1400-1500 m/s of dV to spare on LKO if piloted properly.

Craft file and pilotage guide: http://kerbalx.com/kot_behemot/Stefan-3 .

eKJP244.png

4hOKPZt.png

I'm in love with 1.04. Deceptively simple, and capable of Munar/Interplanetary flyby missions. Yes, there is a nuke in there. And no, it doesn't break 1:1 in TWR ratio at any point in airbreathing flight, and only briefly when you switch cycle, for a really short chemical kick into suborbital aerodynamic flight.

http://i.imgur.com/BxRTjWG.png

http://i.imgur.com/xaAuXFS.png

Rune. 41 parts, too. I'm proud. :)

Farnsworth scientists have confirmed previously unproven theories that awesome fly's better than un-awesome in regards to space faring crafts.

Mr Rune's space vehicle, according to our tests, scores a 5.7 on the awesome scale.

This is straight out of my Kerbal Flight labs. I prefer ships with a smaller body profile and carrying less fuel. I got this one running a little less than 1000m/s dV so it could technically ferry Kerbals to a Mun station. It's capable of ferrying Kerbals to Duna on a LKO refuel. It mainly runs on liquid fuel, but I take advantage of the RAPIER's ability to run at high thrust at high altitudes and carry a teeny bit of oxidizer to punch myself out of the atmosphere.

http://i.imgur.com/cyIHRrk.png

http://i.imgur.com/dMyGxJg.png

http://i.imgur.com/V16lILd.png

http://i.imgur.com/htmTu4h.jpg

Do you think we could get a craft file for that?

Ladies, Gentelmen, Kerbals, Jeb, Jellyfish and all in between,

I present, THE... The... er.... I forgot to give it a name....

THE SSTO MK2!

9vsSo7z.png

it's still WIP, I gotta get it up high.

I've made it, with the help of mechjeb, to circularize, but I only get about halfway into the burn before running on empty, even with droptanks!

Edited by PhylumCnidaria
there was no image! ;-;

After miscalculating my entry in the payload fraction challenge, i... well... felt indeed pretty challenged...

This is the first testflight of the Stingray Delta III short. It is down from 8 to 5 engines and has a reduced launch weight of 127 tons (instead 151.5 tons), while keeping the exact payload of 41.25 tons. So far, only atmospheric abilities have been tested. It reached Mach 5.5 on jet-engines, so the concept may actually work. Further tests and first orbit attempt are scheduled for tomorrow. :)

4TE6oCX.png

Edited by Frank_G

Here's a little 2-man shuttle I whipped up in an hour or 2 the other night. The only mods it uses are b9 proc wings and adjustable landing gear just to make my life easier, otherwise it's completely stock.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As you can see it's got about ~480 m/s once in orbit, but I'm pretty sure I have a symmetry error with some fuel pipes not taking oxidizer from one of the wing sections, so that might boost the dv by another 20-50 m/s if that proves to be true.

She's super easy to fly, and is actually too fast. My ascent profile is simple - keep AoA at 20 degrees with 50% throttle until 3km. Once you hit 3km punch it and it'll just take you to orbit. Turn on the aerospike and off the jets when they start to lose speed. Follow your prograde marker at that point and you're set!

Edit: Would someone mind telling me how to embed imgur albums? I haven't linked an album since the change from the really nice album embeds to the new crappier one.

Thank you blowfish.

Edited by How2FoldSoup

Here's a little 2-man shuttle I whipped up in an hour or 2 the other night. The only mods it uses are b9 proc wings and adjustable landing gear just to make my life easier, otherwise it's completely stock.

http://imgur.com/a/dpAF0

As you can see it's got about ~480 m/s once in orbit, but I'm pretty sure I have a symmetry error with some fuel pipes not taking oxidizer from one of the wing sections, so that might boost the dv by another 20-50 m/s if that proves to be true.

She's super easy to fly, and is actually too fast. My ascent profile is simple - keep AoA at 20 degrees with 50% throttle until 3km. Once you hit 3km punch it and it'll just take you to orbit. Turn on the aerospike and off the jets when they start to lose speed. Follow your prograde marker at that point and you're set!

Edit: Would someone mind telling me how to embed imgur albums? I haven't linked an album since the change from the really nice album embeds to the new crappier one.

Thank you blowfish.

If the engines are stock, why do the models look different?