SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

The Luxor 2-A. Current engine set-up may be different, as I just unlocked the RAPIERS and trying to find a good balance. Otherwise, though, it's all there.

p5Z8cz3.jpg

CkefNJV.jpg

Currently holds enough dV once in LKO to do a Mun Fly-By and re-entry for Space Tourism. Been trying to work on the Luxor series so that I can have enough dV to orbit both Mun and Minmus in one trip. This hasn't been going well, so I've sent up a modular fuel station, so it can stop by and fill it's tanks before heading out to wherever.

pPLPqaW.jpg

He is using Ven's Stock Revamp. All it does is change the models of stock parts.

Perhaps I don't understand, but when I look at the forum post for Ven's Stock Revamp, the very first screenshot is captioned "New Parts!" and the Changes section is full of "New", "Extended", "Added"... So uh, I'm confused.

Perhaps I don't understand, but when I look at the forum post for Ven's Stock Revamp, the very first screenshot is captioned "New Parts!" and the Changes section is full of "New", "Extended", "Added"... So uh, I'm confused.

It mostly replaces the models for the stock parts, but adds a few features (e.g. lights on the docking ports) and a couple of new but related parts (e.g. more cubic strut lengths).

If the engines are stock, why do the models look different?

Sorry I didn't make that clear earlier, I forget not everyone uses mods all the time.

Ven's Revamp updates a lot of the models making them look nicer(such as the turbojets pictured) and also adds a few variations of engines. One example is an lv909 A and B. One of them contains the little ring fuel tank which adds 10 or so lf and 18 or so oxidizer. Stuff like that. It's nothing huge, just makes most parts look nicer in my opinion. I only used stock parts regardless(aside from the landing gear, and the wings) with only the model reworks. The rest of the stats are the same.

My 1st SSTO space plane to reach another planet. No mods of any kind, no refuelling, all stock, straight from Kerbin to Duna. Carried all science in my current tech tree (my highest tech is 2 hot thermometer in science sand box).

Looks like biplanes are making a comeback. Sadly the kerbals will be stuck on Duna after a crash landing (not that I had any fuel left for the return trip anyways). Will post sph pics later.

C0F64F58F6E1961262C5CA10ED380A271F66677EE7EE2A57DC50FE1FAD167757267087A7ABE6B71AE21BF9DF5B6300E5E0909430CBCCA07B5CB41C3C29D67C6D34B1CA0C58E0C23B67B30D846B815F83

I knew the spikes had to be good for something. It is nearly there! Currently undergoing low-grav testing via a quick trip to Mun to plant a flag and pay for himself... and another one. 4km/s, 35 parts, three crew in luxurious interior (it'd better be, it's the heaviest cockpit in kerbal/mT).

LYEhtd8.png

Rune. The RTG is almost 1/3rd of the price, too.

Really a nice design. I tried to rebuild it, but im missing 2 Shock Cone Intakes. Would you please upload the craftfile or tell me how you did it? Thank you

Welcome aboard, Belphy!

The shock cones are on the back of the rapiers and clipped in a bit, they are mostly there to reduce drag. You can get the craft file here. If I were doing that mission again I would remove the small radiator and solar panel, I didn't really need them.

As promised, here are the SPH pics of my super biplane (but don't watch them until you've seen the video):

F713C54DFE5586675D4BDC9C9A4B58F2166B82E50046B4D5B4A91CC7E18A373C994E6791EAA7D4871C38C98995D813B54F62A454CE4CDCBDAB40EE9A

Edited by evader
Wanted embedded video, not link

I challenge people to build an SSTO without using mk3 wings. :)

Not sure what you mean by Mk3 wings but I tend to avoid the fat ugly ones

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is only an SSTO, it won't get much beyond LKO and for some odd reason has a tendency to explode on time warp, probably something to do with the cheeky clipping. :P

I challenge people to build an SSTO without using mk3 wings. :)

Why wouldn't you use a free tank that cuts you part count to a fraction and actually looks good?

Rune. See my White Dart anyhow. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Thank Rune your suggestion

You are welcome!

Why wouldn't you use a free tank that cuts you part count to a fraction and actually looks good?

Just to play devil's advocate...

"We choose to not use Mk3 wings, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard!"

Sometimes a limitation, especially if arbitrary/artificial and voluntary, gets the ol' out-of-box thinking going. It can be fun. That said, I dunno how out-of-box it really is to go back to how we built SSTOs in all versions before those Mk3 wings were added. :huh:

These are my current career mode spaceplanes which are the backbone of my economy. Mk2 tech level, no fancy Rapier or LV-N available yet.

White Goose, adapted to 1.03/1.04. Simple, mid-tech, passenger&fuel craft, with a crew of 10 and some fuel as a payload for refueling duty. Drone flight possible.

screenshot_20150716_222721.jpg

Firebird. Simple, mid-tech STTO launch system for all kinds of satelites. Some fuel reserves in LKO. Combine with tourist or rescue missions to reap income in career mode.

screenshot_20150723_211103.jpg

Fuel Dragon. Mid-tech, "yes bring lots of that fuel pls", drone spaceplane. (about 2880 LF+according oxy, some monoprop).

screenshot114.jpg

Edited by Falkenherz

I tweaked the Crys airframe to free up the bay (I wanted to put one scanner inside), and, while I was at it, finally figured out that the linear RCS ports are more heat-resistant, which is nice to not pull heat gauges when you have a poorly cooled NERV as your main in-space powerplant. Also, a nice way to put the one handling the forward-rear axis. Ditto for the probe core, now it feels much safer to use without temperature gauges popping all over. Also, it is weird: RTGs are hard to use in conjunction with nukes, because they blow up at a mere 1200º. I really want to simulate a bimodal reactor...

1HPScmI.png

Rune. I like that thermal-proofing is now a thing.

Edited by Rune