SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

You're right, the Kethane turbines would be near useless on Eve. They would flame out at around 40-50km and be dead weight, and you haven't even made it through half the atmosphere. For Eve the best SSTO you can come up with a REALLY light SSTO, that takes only what is needed down and refuels down there, and that is it. It would be best to use a small high ISP rocket, to do this, and glide down to land. The smoother and more aerodynamic you can make it the better.

Perhaps in FAR you can somehow do this, but with the current drag model, the required burn time at T/W 1.7 to get out of the atmosphere is just too much for the fuel tanks and engines we have. Nope, I maintain, not possible without a severely overpowered engine/fuel combo (like real-life numbers or slightly better). 10-11 km/s are 10-11km/s. Go take a look at the realistically-sized kerbin thread, that also takes about 10km/s. People there have some truly amazing monsters of boosters, usually heavy with mods and using FAR to diminish drag losses.

Rune. The tyranny of the rocket equation.

Perhaps in FAR you can somehow do this, but with the current drag model, the required burn time at T/W 1.7 to get out of the atmosphere is just too much for the fuel tanks and engines we have. Nope, I maintain, not possible without a severely overpowered engine/fuel combo (like real-life numbers or slightly better). 10-11 km/s are 10-11km/s. Go take a look at the realistically-sized kerbin thread, that also takes about 10km/s. People there have some truly amazing monsters of boosters, usually heavy with mods and using FAR to diminish drag losses.

Rune. The tyranny of the rocket equation.

I am not talking about using "ants" but the best ISP TWR boosters for this craft. So no nukes, or mainsails but something that provides a decent TWR and still maintains a good ISP, like the poodle.

The SSI Shuttlecraft Type III Proton T Class (Prototype)

8RNr1ev.png

The Proton T class is intended to transport more than one Kerbal to various destinations - most likely one ways to Minmus and possibly the Mun (not tested). The Proton T and the Proton Heavy variants prove the versatility of the base Proton model. In fact, exchange the Proton T's side mounted windows for docking ports or radial decouplers and you've got a Proton U utility spacecraft meant for carrying satellites into orbit, or construction parts.

Edited by inigma

I am not talking about using "ants" but the best ISP TWR boosters for this craft. So no nukes, or mainsails but something that provides a decent TWR and still maintains a good ISP, like the poodle.

The Poodle has rather low T/W, actually... But you know what? Try it, and see for yourself, you might even surprise me. ;)

Inigma, the Proton T looks awesome. Nice idea with the side cockpits!

And lo and behold, I was also working on a rapier powered shuttle, Exo. The bird itself is ready, but I'm also working out a payload pack to set stations/interplanetary expeditions, so I'm flying a 6-flight part assembly test program. With MMU's to move the pieces around and everything!

Ha78lAs.png

2FJtrkM.png

BTW, max payload is 10mt to 85km circular by weight, or one lab module + hitchhicker by volume. Would you guys like me to stop talking about it and go hurry and get it done for the release?

Rune. Actually, I'm going to fly another mission right now, I think.

Edited by Rune

Inigma, the Proton T looks awesome. Nice idea with the side cockpits!

If you ever want access and test SSI prototypes such as the Proton series, just shoot me a PM with your email and I'll give you dropbox access. I might even promote you to full SSI Enginer and give you your own space station with your Gladius docked (which you never gave us an updated version yet :P) in our official save file.

Exo, the same invite is yours too. Let me know if you want access.

Edited by inigma

If you ever want access and test SSI prototypes such as the Proton series, just shoot me a PM with your email and I'll give you dropbox access. I might even promote you to full SSI Enginer and give you your own space station with your Gladius docked (which you never gave us an updated version yet :P) in our official save file.

Exo, the same invite is yours too. Let me know if you want access.

Hey! That might be nice, I loaded the Gladius the other day and gave it a bit of a polish, and I also rebuilt the Bat'leth around the RAPIER's. So I might shoot you that PM with both files, and then perhaps self-test them for certification with those savefiles if no recording is necessary that way. In any case, a time of mayor thread redesign approaches, it's been long since I posted new stuff!!

Just made my first SSTO today, i'm really proud of myself right now.

I present to you... the Vena Mk1

292bolc.jpg

It have enough fuel to return from orbit, and if you refuel it, the SSTO can orbit mun or minmus, and if refueled again, it can return back to kerbin ground.

And lo and behold, I was also working on a rapier powered shuttle, Exo. The bird itself is ready, but I'm also working out a payload pack to set stations/interplanetary expeditions, so I'm flying a 6-flight part assembly test program. With MMU's to move the pieces around and everything!

BTW, max payload is 10mt to 85km circular by weight, or one lab module + hitchhicker by volume. Would you guys like me to stop talking about it and go hurry and get it done for the release?

Done! I also did a nice series of missions to test all the kinks out. Look how gorgeous OTV-7 (Orbital test vehicle, seventh flight) looks as it leaves the finished DTV-1 (Duna Transfer Vehicle, first of its kind) ready for a decent name. Ares jumps to mind. It could have been done on six... if you had the subassemblies correctly designed unlike me ^^'

cSj7GmX.png

No kerbals were harmed in this test program (unlike in previous ones, like the initial takeoff testing... :rolleyes:), no space debris was let on orbit (even with all those docking adaptors) and all hardware not going to Duna in the immediate future was returned to the KSP runway! Yay science!

Rune. Go check its thread if you want to try it!

Tried a blended body design with two jumbo tanks as the main fuselage some days ago. Big, slow, and ineffective. It can reach orbit, but that's about it. I've scrapped trying to improve this design by now.

Skylarker V6

Part count: 600

Specs:

Engines: 12 Rapiers

12 Intakes

2 NERVAs

Fuel: 2x jumbo plus some mk1 fuselage

Range: Maybe Mun orbit with proper flying

n5EsRi3.png

dPCJDVV.png

Link for those who want: http://www./view/3igwi2z9arq3251/Skylarker%20v6.craft

Edited by Lazer Cut

Weltraumlabor:

Has 1 Atomic engine, 4 turbojets, 64 concealed ram intakes, and plenty of concealed aerial control surfaces.

Looks very cool, gets to the moon and back, other than that, completely useless. xD

dbzx2t0.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, Spaceplane Mk-III "Astroliner" is right now being tested for it's capabilities. Should be interplanetary.

Has 4 turbojets, 64 intakes, one Atomic engine, RCS, and 8 passenger seats. Almost an OK glider.

deOaqTZ.png

PKmy9cJ.png

Edit: It came out to be a one way trip to laythe, after almost completely depleting the rocket fuel it becomes an amazing glider there! It made a successful landing by going up a hill, so it glides upwards as slow as it can get...

Edited by Overfloater

I hate every one of yall.

Last two are amazingly beautiful. .crafts anyone?

Yet here I am unable to make anything work. I have a nice stock plane with a RAPIER engine but it doesn't work. Single RAPIER doesn't have the thrust to get the speed I need. I can do one with B9 and SABREs so why the heck can I not do it stock, even with RAPIERs! Gah. I need to sit down with someone on Skype and have a 2-3 hour long SSTO building session.

I hate every one of yall.

Last two are amazingly beautiful. .crafts anyone?

Yet here I am unable to make anything work. I have a nice stock plane with a RAPIER engine but it doesn't work. Single RAPIER doesn't have the thrust to get the speed I need. I can do one with B9 and SABREs so why the heck can I not do it stock, even with RAPIERs! Gah. I need to sit down with someone on Skype and have a 2-3 hour long SSTO building session.

We can help! Hit me up sometime. PM me what times you're available. Maybe we can also do it over KMP. I have a server up. I can walk you through building a Proton.

We can help! Hit me up sometime. PM me what times you're available. Maybe we can also do it over KMP. I have a server up. I can walk you through building a Proton.

Oh my design skills for PLANES, are there. SSTOs still defy me. THe proton is nice and all, but I tend to build bigger, less clippy, partly more for aesthetics whilst preserving a form which facilitates function. I'll have to show you some of my stuff (I have a dozen failed attempts sitting saved across 4 different installs). Going to bed now. I'll hit you up sometime tomorrow.