SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Finally unlocked the 550 node in CTT's aerodynamics branch; aerospikes, streamlined wings, and pulse detonation engines from Instell Incorporated. It was time to change the crew on Skylab I, and four tourists wanted a ride, so I :)

ASaYdr0.jpg
and went for it

ZMDi9I3.jpg

With the increased overall mass of the ship, the nacelles had to come in, since the added mass was causing worrisome roll on the ascent (hence mk II, II, and IV were all decommissioned after their first test flights). With all the fuel tucked snugly close to the main fuselage, controllability went up a lot, although there's a habit for the nose to be reluctant to lift at low speeds. Some canards might fix that, but I couldn't be bothered; it landed well enough anyway.

I was worried the Instell engines might be a bit OP, but they're a little heavier than turbojets and deliver about 10-15% better top speed in-atmo, so actually feel very fair for the next-node-up from the stock engine. Handy little boost to efficiency, but nothing drastic - which is exactly what a modded part should be, imho :)

As for the scramjets from the same pack... well, I changed the config and pushed them back to the node after Rapiers because wow, the scramjets genuinely are OP. But if I can be bothered with a 2000-point node in aerodynamics that has nothing else in it, then I will deserve it! Many fine techs will be sacrificed if I go that route...

Finally unlocked the 550 node in CTT's aerodynamics branch; aerospikes, streamlined wings, and pulse detonation engines from Instell Incorporated. It was time to change the crew on Skylab I, and four tourists wanted a ride, so I :)

http://i.imgur.com/ZMDi9I3.jpg

With the increased overall mass of the ship, the nacelles had to come in, since the added mass was causing worrisome roll on the ascent (hence mk II, II, and IV were all decommissioned after their first test flights). With all the fuel tucked snugly close to the main fuselage, controllability went up a lot, although there's a habit for the nose to be reluctant to lift at low speeds. Some canards might fix that, but I couldn't be bothered; it landed well enough anyway.

I was worried the Instell engines might be a bit OP, but they're a little heavier than turbojets and deliver about 10-15% better top speed in-atmo, so actually feel very fair for the next-node-up from the stock engine. Handy little boost to efficiency, but nothing drastic - which is exactly what a modded part should be, imho :)

As for the scramjets from the same pack... well, I changed the config and pushed them back to the node after Rapiers because wow, the scramjets genuinely are OP. But if I can be bothered with a 2000-point node in aerodynamics that has nothing else in it, then I will deserve it! Many fine techs will be sacrificed if I go that route...

http://i.imgur.com/ASaYdr0.jpg
and went for it

550 nodes! Bah! I made it to LKO on Swivels and Turbojets only, because I can't afford the R&D upgrade that allows for spending more than 550 science at once! /end brag

Maybe I've been playing with FAR too long, but that seems like a lot of wing, far more than should be necessary

I'm not using FAR - this be the general SSTO thread :) (I totally respect FAR, I used it all through 0.90, but I'm enjoying the easy landings of stock for now. It's just so hard to crash anything! But I do tend to make planes that look like they might fly under FAR, just from habit. No tail-less nonsense for me, tyvm! ^^)

It is however possible that I could have cut back the wing area. It looked quite good as was though, so I didn't want to :)

550 nodes! Bah! I made it to LKO on Swivels and Turbojets only, because I can't afford the R&D upgrade that allows for spending more than 550 science at once! /end brag

Well... :)

ASaYdr0.jpg
... I did do that for a few launches with the mkI, but when you finally get some aerospikes, it's silly not to use them

Rapiers and wet wings unlocked thanks to a triple-biome Mun run!

Killed all design options, really. These parts are so conspicuously better than anything else it's no wonder everyone makes basically the same thing. But it did bring back a quarter of a million for basically zero cost, so it certainly has a purpose at least.

f2yt1LJ.jpg

Local gas giant courtesy of New Horizons planet pack :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, oops. Didn't notice your spoiler at first. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. Too bad I can't afford them yet :,(

Hehe, that's ok - not a lot of people even try for an SSTO before rapiers, it's good to find a kindred spirit :)

Best advice; get a lab in LKO and make sure everything visits it on the way home! I play on just 20% science, but Skylab I evens the odds for not a lot of extra effort ^^

Killed all design options, really. These parts are so conspicuously better than anything else it's no wonder everyone makes basically the same thing. But it did bring back a quarter of a million for basically zero cost, so it certainly has a purpose at least.

http://i.imgur.com/f2yt1LJ.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe, that's ok - not a lot of people even try for an SSTO before rapiers, it's good to find a kindred spirit :)

Best advice; get a lab in LKO and make sure everything visits it on the way home! I play on just 20% science, but Skylab I evens the odds for not a lot of extra effort ^^

Looks a lot like my all stock Mk2 SSTO I posted over in the FAR thread.

Though mine is a bit weaker getting out of the atmosphere, it's got a NERV, so there's truckloads of dv once in orbit

Here is my Huge last SSTO, called "DC - TrimaSky". It's able to put in 100km orbit a theoretical payload of 250t from a weight at takeoff around 1070t... Not so bad I think, especially considering that I did not do anything to make it particularly efficient (Design of the Huge main custom fuel tank lead to me to that configuration) :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I would be happy to know what you think about it, my thread update seems to not interest anyone ^^

http://i.imgur.com/f2yt1LJ.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What is the highest orbit it can get and return?

Here is my Huge last SSTO, called "DC - TrimaSky". It's able to put in 100km orbit a theoretical payload of 250t from a weight at takeoff around 1070t... Not so bad I think, especially considering that I did not do anything to make it particularly efficient (Design of the Huge main custom fuel tank lead to me to that configuration) :

http://imgur.com/a/vA8SD

I would be happy to know what you think about it, my thread update seems to not interest anyone ^^

I hardly know what to say, my god! it's awesome! it's terrifying!

but what does it do to the framerate? :confused:

That's pretty slick! That's a VTHL, right? Does it need SRBs? I was working on a similar design, and I needed four mainsails to get a positive TWR, and even then I needed SRBs to boost it through the ascent. Looks like you only have two.

That's pretty slick! That's a VTHL, right? Does it need SRBs? I was working on a similar design, and I needed four mainsails to get a positive TWR, and even then I needed SRBs to boost it through the ascent. Looks like you only have two.

Yup, it's VTHL. It handles pretty smoothly, although it does like to nose downwards once you go to fast. Hard to fix. It doesn't need any SRBs even with a full payload bay, although I've debated switching out the two Mainsails for an aerospike/Skipper combo. Once in orbit it switches over to a nuke OMS system for max efficiency.

Yup, it's VTHL. It handles pretty smoothly, although it does like to nose downwards once you go to fast. Hard to fix. It doesn't need any SRBs even with a full payload bay, although I've debated switching out the two Mainsails for an aerospike/Skipper combo. Once in orbit it switches over to a nuke OMS system for max efficiency.

hmm. I'd say stick with the Mainsails. I obviously can't speak for your design, but based on past experience with this sort of craft, the benefit of the Skipper's efficiency is negated by its low thrust. They just aren't worth the trouble. Of course, I didn't try them in tandem with aerospikes (honestly, most of the time I forget they exist), so you might see better results than I did.

hmm. I'd say stick with the Mainsails. I obviously can't speak for your design, but based on past experience with this sort of craft, the benefit of the Skipper's efficiency is negated by its low thrust. They just aren't worth the trouble. Of course, I didn't try them in tandem with aerospikes (honestly, most of the time I forget they exist), so you might see better results than I did.

I'm not going to use 2 or 3, I'm trying out 6 of them. That way they shut off in pairs as it gains altitude until it reaches apoapsis, where the nukes kick in. We'll see how it goes. Say, do you have an experience working with these wings? They tend to heat up quite a bit on reentry.

Thanks MartGonzo ^^ The framerate ? Oh... Don't know what ya talking about. The number in the upper left corner ? Ooooh I thought it was an information concerning the number of physical warp activated with this craft xD

Yeah well, 3-4 FPS, this is so damn frustrating...

Zucal, this is a pure beauty :) ! Do the wings provide lift with this angle ? I'm always doubting of how KSP calculate the loft of a wing when positioning a bit special :P

I'm having a problem with those wings on the design below:

http://i.imgur.com/t00WHrd.png

I'm basically going to try spamming heat sink's and air-brakes to see if I can stop the explosions on reentry!

JR

Having the same issue, although I refuse to give up on such a pretty plane. I figure I'll try radiators and airbrakes, as well as a very languid reentry, aerobraking multiple times.