SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Here's my main workhorse, the "XF-Omega":

ogdt9tu9gq7mpxz4g.jpg

It quite fast for its size and has wonderful handling.

i2ob37ycu0dxcpz4g.jpg

Once in orbit, it has a tiny bit of fuel for maneuvers, but probably could have more, due to my shoddy piloting skills. :cool:

Also, here's a tiny VTVL SSTO Pod for you guys. Its currently a prototype, but it might be able to make a 100x100km orbit.... maybe. :wink:

It's kinda cool in that it can accomplish that off of 1 RAPIER and not that much LF/Oxidizer.

8tqhhx629kh6b7k4g.jpg

fhxn1kjl9crh48t4g.jpg

Here's my final version of my SSTO shuttlepod type ship, the "Pupcat".

l1ujpg8j35rphu36g.jpg

I managed two VAB roof landings, one at night, then the daytime on in the pic. (Attempt 1 missed the helipad.
:(
)

I also managed to land the prototype somewhat safely... but in a very Kerbal way.
:cool:

skz5arhm7ibut226g.jpg

(Really, I just didn't slow down enough in airbreathing mode.)

8j0933favz93bl76g.jpg

I'm planning on testing it out with a pair of small droptanks, to see if I can extend its range somewhat. As of right now, it can almost make a perfect 110km orbit.

Here's my final version of my SSTO shuttlepod type ship, the "Pupcat".

I managed two VAB roof landings, one at night, then the daytime on in the pic. (Attempt 1 missed the helipad.
)

I also managed to land the prototype somewhat safely... but in a very Kerbal way.
:cool:

(Really, I just didn't slow down enough in airbreathing mode.)

I'm planning on testing it out with a pair of small droptanks, to see if I can extend its range somewhat. As of right now, it can almost make a perfect 110km orbit.

Mine goes to the Mun (and lands, and comes back):

qDUVUcB.png

So yeah, you could trim some fat and increase range for sure, no need to drop stuff and sacrifice reusability.

Rune. Also available on R-SUV, of course.

I've been kind of absent from the SSTO scene for a while, but here's my latest design!

I call it the Hondo. It's a SSTO lifter that can carry a smaller Munar Lander to orbit! The combo is capable of doing two round trips from the KSC to the Mun without refueling :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I made an official thread for it if you'd like to check it out/get more info: The Hondo

I've got a lot of SSTO's to go back and look at...there's about 10 more pages from the last time I checked this thread haha

Mine goes to the Mun (and lands, and comes back):

http://i.imgur.com/qDUVUcB.png

So yeah, you could trim some fat and increase range for sure, no need to drop stuff and sacrifice reusability.

Rune. Also available on R-SUV, of course.

Yeah, I know, but I'm kinda thinking about using the Pupcat (without extra tanks) as a mini-SSTO for low-orbit stations and larger ships near smaller worlds, such as Laythe.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking about building a Grand Tour ship with an SSTO docking module...

(P.S.: Your Beetle there sorta inspired me to build the Pupcat. That and the fact I was getting tired of flying plane-style ships all the time. :D )

After taking a look at some of the amazing SSTO crafts on this thread, I decided to go and try making one capable of making the SSI certification run.

The result was the Kitt3h-Class, my first (and only
) 0.23 VTOL SSTO with an LV-N powerplant.

dqsg22wi0r4v0h86g.jpg

Powered by a unique dual-stage "boosted turbojet", the Kitt3h-Class rockets up to speed quite quickly.

tpwxy4x7kzlx0ma6g.jpg

qt8dr075o82o3636g.jpg

While I know the pic sucks somewhat, this is the ship after establishing a 163x113km orbit on it's first successful test flight. (And I'm hardly the best SSTO pilot.)

Also, flames:

3kgbccuchrl4sb66g.jpg

I'll post a download link when I get around to making a folder with my new crafts on mediafire.

Script Kitt3h. Shameless to the very end. :cool:

Perfect Landing Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! *crying*

I spent like 4 hours trying to make a Mk2 version of my Space Shuttle..

How the cockpit survived… I don’t even understand… How did the cockpit even go this way..

What is the meaning of life even.

I think I will move on to do a Mk3 version.

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

Perfect Landing Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! *crying*

I spent like 4 hours trying to make a Mk2 version of my Space Shuttle..

How the cockpit survived… I don’t even understand… How did the cockpit even go this way..

What is the meaning of life even.

I think I will move on to do a Mk3 version.

https://24.media.tumblr.com/e71d4c515a8fac0eac3bf59b8e30322d/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/a39e6e8f72fedb812f47a2d0e011d936/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/9ad9d29bbf7fd023b8d0d1a40ab5f744/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/1a5d75361eb65dc1f49abbf1a6a41fda/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/95229b8e3545e538c853e1c5d96f83e2/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/774d8c343bfb9df61de81b807268d6af/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/8ec8124aeabf193f4287b9e85e6812cc/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/b0b81f5b778a4474c8798e8ddfc95551/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/48e619c685a6560593a5ab887b5c6e72/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/1aaccb05d19fccf092a6b896292089f7/tumblr_n06x3ttsXV1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

Ouch. That's the worst part of building SSTOs, the failed landings. However, Bill and Scott look quite happy! :)

(Also, the cockpit might have slowed to under 50m/s in the crash, and that pod is probably one of the strongest stock cockpits. You saved your crew with a good design choice.)

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

Here is another one of my SSTOs, the Tachyon. It is a VTOL craft that can reach a 120K orbit with enough smash left over to land safely back at the launch center. It also has docking capabilities.

ozRHaT1.jpg

oW7OFyx.jpg

5immi2m.jpg

6entucu.jpg

Let me know what you all think. I love this thread!

Here is another one of my SSTOs, the Tachyon. It is a VTOL craft that can reach a 120K orbit with enough smash left over to land safely back at the launch center. It also has docking capabilities.

http://i.imgur.com/ozRHaT1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oW7OFyx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5immi2m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6entucu.jpg

Let me know what you all think. I love this thread!

Cute little bugger, reminds me a lot of a Colonial Viper!

Takeoff...

UJD6EdX.png

...and circularising, who needs proper rockets?

JrzZ1y1.png

Random Skurj aerobraking into Eve orbit.

LzGtJPN.png

I've got a ship at Moho which is waiting for a proper heavy lander after the spaceplane it was using there crashed trying to take off from a mountainside; once that's done I'm going to try for my first Grand Tour.

Well, not so Grand Tour as I don't intend to visit Eve or Tylo with crewed landers, but I'll transfer the pilot from this rover to the lander en route to Gilly, and drop this rover to Eve surface uncrewed.

I've got a ship at Moho which is waiting for a proper heavy lander after the spaceplane it was using there crashed trying to take off from a mountainside; once that's done I'm going to try for my first Grand Tour.

Well, not so Grand Tour as I don't intend to visit Eve or Tylo with crewed landers, but I'll transfer the pilot from this rover to the lander en route to Gilly, and drop this rover to Eve surface uncrewed.

A grand tour is the hardest mission in stock KSP for a reason. Are you wimping out of the toughest parts of that! HERESY! In all seriousness, a well built Tylo lander can have it's upper stage serve as a lander pretty much everywhere else, so if you go to Tylo first, then it's pretty much a win-win. Now Eve, best send that lander separately. Good ground support from KSC is the ticket to a grand tour. :wink:

So I'm working on this beauty:

trcu.png

6 turbojet engines with a 2-1 intake ratio, and two LV45s for the kick to orbit. Best I've done is 1700m/s at 24.4km. That's a record for me.

She's having fuel flow issues right now that is resulting in the jets not using their set aside fuel and sucking off the rocket fuel tanks. That's creating a problem, specifically, the rockets running out of fuel prematurely and not making orbit. It SHOULD have enough juice to make a 75x75 orbit.

The preliminary signs are not promising as it's barely getting to orbit by itself. it's meant to carry up to 6 tons of cargo with it.

Any advice? (clipping on more intakes is probably not going to happen, just an FYI).

The fuel layout is the easy fix. Matter of fact, I already did fix it in this image (I think). Either way, it's a good shot of how I laid the whole thing out. I was basing it slightly off of your Ares Type 26, but replacing the massive air hog intake zone with a cargo area. Right now it's the not enough fuel to get to orbit with payload issue that's getting me. I either need to do better on the jet ascent, or I need to rethink the entire design.

I'm considering going to 33 intakes to an engine to see if I can break the 32km mark. Get clear of that, and your drag losses fall away. :cool:

6ntf.png

Mmmmm...

Try having the rear fuel/body part leading one fuel line in the center under the spine to the front one, then as you have now leave the two bleeding off left and right from the front fuel tank/body part.

Then for the outer two tanks closest to the body, have one fuel line going from outer to inner, and then another next to it going inner to outer.. then for that outer most engine leave it as it is already... This should if my understanding is correct, have both sides drain evenly, which is what you want. any fuel lines I did not mention.. Remove them.

Currently you have a sort of circular fuel flow which is what is making the fuel draining strange.

You can test fuel drain on the runway, just load up the craft without wings maybe, turn the brakes on, turn engines on, maybe not full speed but on so the fuel is draining and watch how it drains by clicking on the tanks.

Edited by KissSh0t

Mmmmm...

Try having the rear fuel/body part leading one fuel line in the center under the spine, then as you have now leave the two bleeding off left and right from the front fuel tank/body part.

Then for the outer two tanks closest to the body, have one fuel line going from outer to inner, and then another next to it going inner to outer.. then for that outer most engine leave it as it is already... This should if my understanding is correct, have both sides drain evenly, which is what you want. any fuel lines I did not mention.. Remove them.

Currently you have a sort of circular fuel flow which is what is making the fuel draining strange.

You can test fuel drain on the runway, just load up the craft without wings maybe, turn the brakes on, turn engines on, maybe not full speed but on so the fuel is draining and watch how it drains by clicking on the tanks.

Okay. I'll see what I can do. Also, note that the mk 1 fuselage jet fuel tanks are NOT connected to the med rocket fuel tanks. They just look like it.

Any solutions on my getting to orbit problem?

Okay. I'll see what I can do. Also, note that the mk 1 fuselage jet fuel tanks are NOT connected to the med rocket fuel tanks. They just look like it.

Any solutions on my getting to orbit problem?

If you aren't going to have more air intake.. it will need more lift.. or, make it lighter.

If you are going to make a very high flying aircraft you really do need lots of air intake.

Or you could just rely on the new Rapier engines, they seem to cut out with very little air intake, so you can go quite high before they switch to rocket mode without needing high air intake. the only downside is that they aren't as powerful in air breathing mode as the turbo jets.

If you aren't going to have more air intake.. it will need more lift.. or, make it lighter.

If you are going to make a very high flying aircraft you really do need lots of air intake.

Or you could just rely on the new Rapier engines, they seem to cut out with very little air intake, so you can go quite high before they switch to rocket mode without needing high air intake. the only downside is that they aren't as powerful in air breathing mode as the turbo jets.

Lift seems to not be a problem. It has the lowest AoA deviation from prograde of any craft I've ever designed. I'm having to hold attitude at less than 10 degrees even below 1000m/s, which is great given that it starts to handle like a drunk pig right before I kick in the reaction wheels. It has the lift and raw power. One problem I find is that two jet engines is not enough. I keep trying to drop it down to 2 engines to hit the mythical 2000m/s (it's at a 6-1 intake ratio at that point in the ascent), but the drag forces seem to be outweighing my thrust with two turbojets. Now, you fly air hog ascents, so what am I doing wrong here? Note, I'm at about 24km by this point and am trying to force it up to 26 so I can quickly break the 32-5km drag zone (get clear of that, and drag becomes nearly nonexistent). The RAPIERs simply wouldn't have the power I need to keep up. Its worth a shot to trade the innermost turbojets for RAPIERs. I'll report back later on that. For now, I think I'm gonna let it be, as well as pondering some entirely new deigns.

EDIT: So I broke down the fuel flow in the above picture with a diagram.

y5lz.png

Now, the green is the flow of jet fuel. The gold is the flow of liquid fuel and oxidizer (rocket fuel). The red is the jet fuel going to the engines, being burned, and the brown is hte rocket fuel to the engines, being burned. The darker orange is some fuel flow that I think is causing me problems. The two solutions are to put a 1x1 structural plate in there as a fuel blocker, or to switch those engines out for RAPIERs.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Are you throttling back as you get closer to running out of air intake? as long as you are still accelerating while throttled back when you are on the verge of running out of air then all is good, as long as you are accelerating + going up, it should be able to keep going at high altitude on just turbojets.

Throttling back of course makes the engines consume less air intake, which means you can run them for longer without them running out of air intake because they are consuming less of what you are providing them.

Are you throttling back as you get closer to running out of air intake? as long as you are still accelerating while throttled back when you are on the verge of running out of air then all is good, as long as you are accelerating + going up, it should be able to keep going at high altitude on just turbojets.

Throttling back of course makes the engines consume less air intake, which means you can run them for longer without them running out of air intake because they are consuming less of what you are providing them.

Yeah. When I hit 2/3 throttle, I throttle back up and kill the first set of jets once they spool back up. Then I'm down to 4. The problem is once I get to 24km @ 1700m/s, I can't go below ~70% throttle without my acceleration stopping, so I can never throttle down enough to cut out the second set of engines and bring'er back to full power on just 2. Until I hit 50% throttle, then it's better to keep all 4 running than dropping down to 2.

Yeah. When I hit 2/3 throttle, I throttle back up and kill the first set of jets once they spool back up. Then I'm down to 4. The problem is once I get to 24km @ 1700m/s, I can't go below ~70% throttle without my acceleration stopping, so I can never throttle down enough to cut out the second set of engines and bring'er back to full power on just 2. Until I hit 50% throttle, then it's better to keep all 4 running than dropping down to 2.

More air is you're solution.

More air is you're solution.

I'm considering that, along with a straight up redesign. I think I need to get better at large SSTOs before I start trying to add payload capacity.

If I do stick with the existing, I'm planning on the RAPIER switch and clipping on a second set of intakes on top of the ones on the jet engine stacks. That brings the starting jet ratio to 3-1. Also, I wonder how it would handle if I ditched the LV45s entirely and relied on the RAPIERs for orbital insertion. It would certainly help efficiency and add a slot for other stuff. Nuclear engine perhaps? Or docking port for interplanetary drive . . .