Show off your B9 Designs!

This is my simple shuttle - the distinct feature is that it is quite simple in aerodynamic design - only 2 main wings and control surfacesess in configuration representing some kind of pseudo thrust vector nozzle around single medium sized Sabre engine - the X control surfacess act for pitch and yaw, the horizontals for pitch and roll defined in FAR control panel.

It was not so easy to fly but more than possible to reach and return from orbit :) (theres lot of tweaks that could be done tho ;))

lD0fIAd.png

pMZJGm4.png

Managed to get it Into Orbit.

No asas, manual flying with intermittent nose aerospike bursts to keep it flying upwards

2PzUgWs.png

wHdfcqB.jpg

Its flight characteristics on descent are a whole nother story.. absolute nightmare.. still has alot of work to do

Edited by Amphiprion

That is an astonishing recreation. Just so happens that that is the model I've committed to for SC launch.

You wouldn't happen to be able/willing to upload the .craft file for it?

sure: http://www.umluex.at/files/Origin300i.rar

you will need B9, pWings and i think i used mechjeb too.. cant remember :D

Edited by Umlüx

+ It can carry almost everything

- It's ugly

Loly has asked me to forward the following:

Loly Corp. thanks you for your feedback. Loly Corp. is customer focused company and would like to inform you that they are willing to say anything to keep you quiet make you feel happy.

Loly Corp. would also like to inform you that the B9 XS is their most popular design to date so your sentiment while valid and of some value, is not necessarily shared by the majority or is at least of little concern.

They sound like a friendly bunch :)

B9 XS SLU MkII

The SLU (Slightly Less Ugly) is a much improved design. Loly took everything he had learned designing the previous ships and ignored it completely, preferring instead to play with an old slide rule that someone had found in a field. Soon tiring of that distraction he opened a fresh box of green crayons and...

B9XSSLU-Orbit-Cropped.jpg

10% More cargo space.

10% More engines.

30% Fewer parts!

92.4% Less rotation.

40% Less ugly. A visitor commented: "I've seen worse"!

And did we mention? 30% Fewer parts!

B9XSSLU-LPandLanded-Crop.jpg

Main Features:

SERPH:

The Sexy Engine Room Peep-hole is a absolute favourite with visitors to Loly Corp. In a pinch a philistine may cover this visual joy with additional fuel tanks. The engine room itself was an early design feature, as its name implies it is a room right next to the engines. The Kerbal Over-bureau of Safety and Health (KOSH) took one look at this fine addition and condemned it on the spot. Thankfully the removal notice never did reach the designers. We understand the room is still fully functional, so if you wish you may EVA your Kerbal all the way down there and fly totally blind. Flying blind is safer then trying to keep your eyes shut, so put on your best Scottish accent and knock yourself out.

RFLOL:

RCS Free Launch, Orbit and Landing.

NB: In testing RCS free landing has a 50% success rate, sample data two tests. ymmv ypmd (your pilot may die)).

Update: 30%, 20%, 10%. Well, all right, it happened once and never again. Great hope was put into the new ARFLOL system, thinking the 'A' stood for Advanced. It turned out the 'A' stood for Almost and by almost the designers meant 'hardly ever'. Still, it happened once and that is significant? Pause for a moment and consider how many times you've been born, see, once is significant. Unfortunately the video evidence of this event - the landing, not your birth, we still have that one on tape - was lost when an experimental guided missile decided to experiment by guiding itself up off the table, through the door, down the corridor and into the video archive room. Bang goes history. Anyway, RCS consumption is much reduced.

IFABO:

Impact Force Absorbed by Oscillation (it wobbles quite a bit on landing but so far has not tipped over)

NoFin:

Booster friendly fin-less design.

FIBBER:

Fifteen Integrated Braced Booster attachment points. Fifteen booster flight tested (on a slightly earlier design). Boosters not required for test payload.

Fifteen easy access fuel tanks for customisation of fuel load and an additional 6 free locations available if required. LF, LFO, replace them with fuselage sections or leave them off altogether to see the super sexy fuel core. The choice is yours!

Super Sexy Fuel Core.

Best not to go there until the cleaners have been around - yes it is that sexy!

B9XSSLU-LPDetails.jpg

The reduced part count does of course come at a price. The ship has not undergone unplanned disassembly in flight since the latest revisions but the strut count is low, very low. One observer commented 'I'm amazed that thing can fly at all'. There was some talk of further reducing the number of parts by removing the toilet but research showed this is exactly where most pilots can be found during landing. One consequence of the reduced number of struts is a breaking sound at around 37km about which Loly said "The time to be concerned is not when you hear a strange noise. The time to be concerned is when the strange noise stops". As a breaking noise both starts and stops you may feel concern when you hear it but fear not! While we have no idea of the cause and obviously it is something under stress, the worst of the flight is just about over by that point and even landing is endured without further incident.

B9XSSLU-LandDetails.jpg

494 parts after launch, 470 parts on landing. Non-essentials are limited to 12 cargo bay lights and 6 red engine room lights - Loly would dearly like to add more but you the customer come first on list 'B'. List 'A' is topped by production costs so also features in the decision. Payload consists of 8 parts x 3

Note: May also be used for weed control and/or creation of crop circles in Farming Simulator.

Mods:

B9

MechJeb

http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Games/KerbalSP/Ships/B9XSSLU/B9 XS SLU Mk II.craft

Keys:

1 Toggles engines between Jet and Rocket, the ship looks good for 37km on jets. Just wait until your rate of ascent drops below 10m/s or your speed begins to decrease - whichever comes first - and press 1. No significant rotation and the supplied RCS is sufficient for landing with a little to spare.

7 Sexy engine room red lights

9 Cargo bay lights

0 Cargo bay doors

N.B.

Tested on Kerbin, guarantee void on other planets.

If MechJeb supported Jet powered vertical landings over 2000 fuel + oxidiser could be saved.

Edited by ecat

UUm my interplanetary ship, since I have absolutely NO idea how to get any of the space-planes I make into space, i decided to make something nice-ish looking with b9

CJHtgBT.png?1

Oh and sorry for the bad quality image

EDIT: In case you were wondering this is what happens when I touch B9 XD

naE1gkH.png?1

Oh and one last thing, has anyone got any tips about building/getting planes into space? (i know about center of lift etc :P)

Edited by Boamere

UUm my interplanetary ship, since I have absolutely NO idea how to get any of the space-planes I make into space, i decided to make something nice-ish looking with b9

CJHtgBT.png?1

If $Boamere{$Badass=11}; :D

Any chance of snagging the .craft for this? I really like the look of it.

If $Boamere{$Badass=11}; :D

Any chance of snagging the .craft for this? I really like the look of it.

Sure, you need B9 (duh) novapunch and mechjeb (tell me if there's any parts that wont load and I'll tell you the mod)

Ok so I might have lied a little, it's more of an interplanetary "hopper" you might want to refuel it a bit each time you travel to another planet, maybe with kethane? :P (I haven't tested it past Minmus) and and dont be afraid to mess around with it (maybe you could add nuclear engines if you want a real interplanetary ship) oh and on launch its WOBBLY so just set mechjeb to launch to 80 km with auto staging and CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!!

So overall its a pile of crap that looks good, Enjoy XD (oh and sorry I took such a long time posting, i had to go through all my mods and check which ones where on it aaaand get a place for me to dump the craft file XP)

http://www./download/vj85j0c19cg052p/

Sure, you need B9 (duh) novapunch and mechjeb (tell me if there's any parts that wont load and I'll tell you the mod)

Ok so I might have lied a little, it's more of an interplanetary "hopper" you might want to refuel it a bit each time you travel to another planet, maybe with kethane? :P (I haven't tested it past Minmus) and and dont be afraid to mess around with it (maybe you could add nuclear engines if you want a real interplanetary ship) oh and on launch its WOBBLY so just set mechjeb to launch to 80 km with auto staging and CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!!

So overall its a pile of crap that looks good, Enjoy XD (oh and sorry I took such a long time posting, i had to go through all my mods and check which ones where on it aaaand get a place for me to dump the craft file XP)

http://www./download/vj85j0c19cg052p/

Well it's not like I demand a reply to anything I post, even if it's directed toward somebody specific. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to go to all that effort, I can't wait to check it out tonight after work! :)

Well it's not like I demand a reply to anything I post, even if it's directed toward somebody specific. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to go to all that effort, I can't wait to check it out tonight after work! :)

Oh yeah and in case you are disappointed with that...thing, here's a shuttle, that I'm actually proud of :D

(uses quantum struts plus the same mods from before) as before leave mechjeb on 80km and let it do its job, although when it plots a maneuver node use rcs to help ;D Also ive put in a lander because it can make it to the moon (I don't know about coming back yet however) oh and look at the action groups because its got a few buttons that you might not want to press when you are launching it

mFxxPLy.jpg

http://www./download/1q5byg9k6epr3hj/HOLY_MOTHER_OF_GAWD_(Shuttle).craft

(I've upgraded it a little since the screenshot was taken so you actually have rcs on the lander)

P.S :I know I'm writing way too much for this, i cant help it XD

Edited by Boamere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.