Down Under Aerospace & Party Supplies [v0.5] [REMASTERED]

Slew

Would you be willing to post the craft file for the rocket from the first post? I kinda wish more people did that with their packs as a way to demo some of their parts rather than giving people all these pieces and trying to figure out what works.

Sounds great.

If we can get this pack properly balanced I don\'t have to release a set of rocket parts and can continue making aircraft parts I can\'t be arsed to texture and release to the public.

If you are going for a 'complete pack' kind of deal you should probably throw in a few münlander legs. A 2m tricoupler might even be a new part, good thinking.

I\'ve got a part specifically for mün landings. It\'s a highly efficient liquid engine with built-in landing legs.

Just needs textures.

And Bigred2989: check the OP, I\'ve added a craft file for the rocket you see in the picture. It\'s called the SDS-3, or 'Satellite Delivery System'.

One more little issue: 0;0;0 point of the part model is supposed to be its center of gravity (COG), so it should be somewhere near the middle of the part, not on its surface. Of course, moving it along the vertical axis doesn\'t affect the ship\'s balance much, but it wold be nice if you re-save the part meshes with proper COG position (don\'t forget to change attach nodes coordinates if you move the mesh)

One more little issue: 0;0;0 point of the part model is supposed to be its center of gravity (COG), so it should be somewhere near the middle of the part, not on its surface. Of course, moving it along the vertical axis doesn\'t affect the ship\'s balance much, but it wold be nice if you re-save the part meshes with proper COG position (don\'t forget to change attach nodes coordinates if you move the mesh)

Yep. It\'s on my list of things to do.

I\'d love to do a Dragon-style capsule, actually. Especially with capsule selection coming in the 0.12 release.

The Dragon is also supposed to have a built-in launch abort system/landing rockets (very cool), so it might be fun to try and build that into the design.

I got a model of a Dragon Pod in Sketchup. Only problem is cleaning the polys (Sketchup doubles everything! :( ) or re-modelling in Blender.

Oh, just seen your already on the way to modelling it. :P

I got a model of a Dragon Pod in Sketchup. Only problem is cleaning the polys (Sketchup doubles everything! :( ) or re-modelling in Blender.

Oh, just seen your already on the way to modelling it. :P

I\'d love to see your model.

Mine isn\'t going to match the Dragon exactly. It\'s just inspired by it.

I\'ve actually decided to do two versions of the capsule: a single part without the rockets, and three-part capsule/fuel/rockets combo. I\'ve completely redone the model since I posted the picture earlier.

Thanks. I uploaded it to Google before I found out that KSP even supports modding. So feel free to use for inspiration. It\'s not very detailed, as I\'m only using it as a model to render from a distance.

I\'ll wait until the game supports these mods before I start with it myself.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7429a528725d86d0ba809e5704083527

So, I decided to build a rocket from your parts + RocketCo orbiter parts (and some Slug\'s payload fairings)

2 things:

Now your 2m tanks are breaking when stacked, specifically the tall ones. Trying to stack more than 1 tall + 1med and my 'orbiter' payload causes them to snap and compress on the pad. If I use 8x decouplers they\'ll launch, but still collapse within the 1st 20 seconds of flight under good thrust. I even edited the tanks crash value up to 50/75 but it didn\'t help (much) - I think you are coming up against the same game-engine barrier the Challenger guys did and might have to rethink your weight/thrust scales.

The 2M engines are now underpowered. As soon as I dump the solid boosters the main 2m engine is overwhelmed and can\'t maintain lift - I had a 2 stage lifter (1 tall tank, one big engine each) and the 1st stage went from 150m/s at booster burnout all the way down to 17m/s before the tank burned out, getting me to about 11k - the 2nd stage was able to accelerate some but the whole tank only got me to about 40k, not nearly to orbit.

The smaller 2m engine couldn\'t lift my orbital payload at all - it would be okay once in orbit perhaps.

So somewhere in-between where they were before and are now would be the sweet spot.

Now your 2m tanks are breaking when stacked, specifically the tall ones. Trying to stack more than 1 tall + 1med and my 'orbiter' payload causes them to snap and compress on the pad. If I use 8x decouplers they\'ll launch, but still collapse within the 1st 20 seconds of flight under good thrust. I even edited the tanks crash value up to 50/75 but it didn\'t help (much) - I think you are coming up against the same game-engine barrier the Challenger guys did and might have to rethink your weight/thrust scales.

I\'ll see what I can do about the fuel tanks breaking. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix them.

The 2M engines are now underpowered. As soon as I dump the solid boosters the main 2m engine is overwhelmed and can\'t maintain lift - I had a 2 stage lifter (1 tall tank, one big engine each) and the 1st stage went from 150m/s at booster burnout all the way down to 17m/s before the tank burned out, getting me to about 11k - the 2nd stage was able to accelerate some but the whole tank only got me to about 40k, not nearly to orbit.

The smaller 2m engine couldn\'t lift my orbital payload at all - it would be okay once in orbit perhaps.

So somewhere in-between where they were before and are now would be the sweet spot.

Actually, this is working as intended. The problem is that I haven\'t finished the pack yet. :P

There\'s going to be a third 2m engine designed for heavy lifting.

---

In other news, I have a working version of a capsule with landing rockets. I even flew a Mun mission in 0.12 and landed with it. There\'s a few issues with the collision mesh, but I\'m working on them.

My priority list is:

- Capsule

- Fuel tanks breaking

- Boosters applying torque (driving me crazy)

- CoG issue

- New parts

Capsule is released.

Awaiting bug reports!

By the way, it may be possible to return from the surface of the Mun using just the capsule.

I tried and failed, but I\'m not ruling it out. If any intrepid explorers would like to attempt this feat, please post the results!

Oh, I get it. So similar to the way everyone else does it, but with a flush connection?

The only reason I keep, or prefer, it to be different styles is to make it easy to see where your parts are on the rocket. So perhaps a seam or some paint to show where the two parts separate?