Asteroids 2.4 Now Open Source

frizzank

The round one is just for fun, it's not meant to be realistic. But just for you the next one I make will be made out of rice crispy treats, with chocolate sprinkles for texture.

Thank you very much, you're a gentleman/lady!

Asteroids come in many shapes and sizes, including some nicely shaped ones. They would be rare, of course, but if someone's going to go through the trouble of building a base on one, it makes sense that they'd look at many and pick one of the nicer ones.

Not quite, they would choose the one which suited them the best, not necessarily the nicest shaped one.

A challenge!

1. Build a base on one of the main belt asteroids (Between Jool and Duna) located in the save file. They all have a docking ports attached except one.

2. Move the asteroid into orbit around another planet or moon. Jool may be easier since its SOI is huge, and aerobraking would be useful.

3. Points awarded for size of asteroid moved, size of the base attached to it, and the stored Kerbal capacity of the asteroid (can't just have them hanging out on ladders).

Bonus points for attaching multiple asteroids together.

How do I make hyperedit have an asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin?

That way I could simulate an Asteroid Crisis, with my mission have to push the asteroid out of collision trajectory before it lands on kerbin

That way I could simulate an Asteroid Crisis, with my mission have to push the asteroid out of collision trajectory before it lands on kerbin

"Lands" being a massive understatement. :D

It takes a couple of years but the one I included in the save file will eventually hit Kerbin.

RNaiVQu.jpg

A challenge!

1. Build a base on one of the main belt asteroids (Between Jool and Duna) located in the save file. They all have a docking ports attached except one.

2. Move the asteroid into orbit around another planet or moon. Jool may be easier since its SOI is huge, and aerobraking would be useful.

3. Points awarded for size of asteroid moved, size of the base attached to it, and the stored Kerbal capacity of the asteroid (can't just have them hanging out on ladders).

Bonus points for attaching multiple asteroids together.

Interesting...what mods, if any?

Any and all mods, I recommend KAS and Mechjeb since they are kind of hard to get too.

I used KAS and FASA, and exploded when the asteroid started to spin and I hit the edge of it as it came around.

Scott Manley made a video on this topic just a couple weeks ago, although I don't think he used hyperedit. Anyhow, check it out here:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks :) Though the title might be off-putting ^^' Can you help me out with some of the difficulties I'm having with your mod? I have been modifying mass, resistance, rotation, but nothing does it, Kerbal lives keep on being wasted on landing at the slowest of speeds when anything else than the landing struts touch the surface. There must be something I'm missing or a flaw in my train of thought.

Edited by Aknar

Thanks :) Though the name might be off-putting ^^' Can you help me out with some of the difficulties I'm having with your mod? I have been modifying mass, resistance, rotation, but nothing does it, Kerbal lives keep on being wasted on landing at the slowest of speeds when anything else than the landing struts touch the surface. There must be something I'm missing or a flaw in my arguments.

You cant land on these, they are not planets. You can however attach docking ports and build onto them.

I'm aware, but I was hoping that some sort of adjustment of values in the part.cfg could make that possible since landing on them with landing struts is possible. There's always putting strut stat that makes it resistant to "casual" encounters without violence to every part ^^ which would avoid parts exploding except in more extreme cases. But of course this isn't an ideal solution and would be long and annoying task. It must probably be "PhysicsSignificance". This still wouldn't fix the Kerbals who set of like pipe bombs. I guess you can't modify them just like planets ... bummer :/

Edited by Aknar

I'm aware, but I was hoping that some sort of adjustment of values in the part.cfg could make that possible since landing on them with landing struts is possible. There's always putting strut stat that makes it resistant to "casual" encounters without violence to every part ^^ which would avoid parts exploding except in more extreme cases. But of course this isn't an ideal solution and would be long and annoying task. It must probably be "PhysicsSignificance". This still wouldn't fix the Kerbals who set of like pipe bombs. I guess you can't modify them just like planets ... bummer :/

Yea the main problem is I am using a part as a really massive object. Imagine if a freight train ran into a Dixie cup that weighed several hundred pounds, even at the slowest speeds the cup would be disintegrated. The only real solution is to up the toughness of the parts, and decrease the mass of the asteroid. I dont know if others have noticed but ship to ship collisions are not forgiving at all and that is basically what is happening here.

I also tryed getting the gravity part plugin to work with the asteroids but I had no luck. If anyone else can get it working I would be eternally great full.

Yea the main problem is I am using a part as a really massive object. Imagine if a freight train ran into a Dixie cup that weighed several hundred pounds, even at the slowest speeds the cup would be disintegrated. The only real solution is to up the toughness of the parts, and decrease the mass of the asteroid. I dont know if others have noticed but ship to ship collisions are not forgiving at all and that is basically what is happening here.

I lowered the mass considerably but I guess it wasn't enough. The KGas mod doesn't have this problem although mass is considerably bigger, I'll go ask him :)

I also tryed getting the gravity part plugin to work with the asteroids but I had no luck. If anyone else can get it working I would be eternally great full.

Gravity is too discreet in this mod, because realism was aimed. You have to change the values. Here's how it looks in your part.cfg file once you added it at the end:

// --- ARGravitatingPart parameters

//Ideally this is equal to the radius of the part, if the part is approximately spherical.

//The gravity of the part is that of a uniform density sphere with this radius (in meters)

radius = (change this too half of the radius of your asteroid. 100 for the potato. I find this to be a comfortable attract distance, not far enough for the ship to get any significant speed)

//The gravitational acceleration in gees at the above radius (i.e., the surface gravity in gees if

//the part is a sphere of that radius). Kerbin surface gravity = 1 gee = 9.81 m/s^2.

geesAtRadius = (I put this to 0.13 to have the craft stick nicely to the asteroid. Might seem like a lot but remember we set the attract distance quiet low. You can reduce it once you tried it out to see if it works nicely)

//The part mass will be increased to this value once the part is detached from a

//commandable ship. This should probably be much larger than the typical mass of a ship.

//If not, gravity between this part and a ship will mainly pull this part around instead

//pulling the ship around. This parameter exists so that part can have a small regular mass

//(under "standard part paramaters" above) and be launched into orbit on a rocket, but

//then gain a more realistic large mass once it's deployed.

deployedMass = 500.0 (don't change this value)

//Whether the parts gravitational field exists while the part is part of a commandable vessel.

//Default value is true. One reason to set this to false is to prevent a part with powerful

//gravity from sucking up spent stages if it is launched on a rocket. If this is false, the

//part will only start to gravitate once it is detached from a commandable ship.

gravitateWhileCommandable = true (don't change this one either)

Edited by Aknar

is it possible to make kethane mineable from the asteriods? also im having trouble attaching KAS parts to the asteroids, im not sure if its a problem with KAS or the asteroids, anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by pwnedbyscope

is it possible to make kethane mineable from the asteriods? also im having trouble attaching KAS parts to the asteroids, im not sure if its a problem with KAS or the asteroids, anyone have any experience with this?

Can you tell me which asteroids and which kas parts your having trouble with? I am able to attach to them with all of the kas parts

So good news and bad, Good news I figured out that I was missing the gravity part module in the config and asteroids now have gravity. Bad news is they rotate wildly because they have all of there mass at a single point in the center of the asteroid, so even though they are massive only a slight touch sends them spinning. Im working on creating an asteroid stabilizer so it will have some self stabilization like the ASAS works, just have to turn it on.

Also looked at the source to figure out how gravity was calculated.

//outside a spherical body, the gravitational force decreases as 1/r^2

force = GEE * geesAtRadius * Math.Pow(radius / separation.magnitude, 2) * p.mass;

As you can see mass distance and gees, get calculated to get the force applied.

Also this works on a per part basis so it tends to rotate long crafts near it.

Im going to play around with different values to see which are more fun. I know asteroids of this size would have a gravitational pull of essentially 0 but that wouldn't be much fun now would it.

8edchJs.jpg

the 200m one and the removeable docking port and grappling hook, are their any other mods that would be interfering with it?

I am not seeing this with the most recent KAS and Asteroids. Tested with the 200m asteroids and the grappling hook and docking port.

I am also not exploding when I run into my asteroid at speeds lower than 5 m/s.

So im going to ask for forum help testing. There is no save file its just the parts and plugin. I will update the save file later.

Delete your old FASA_Asteroids mod folder first before installing, or you will get all sorts of crazy.

Asteroids with gravity download link.

http://www./download/u0kekw6y3it3gh5/FASA_Asteroids2_0.zip

The stabilizers are in the science tab with the asteroids. Attach the asteroid stablizer and the ASAS minicomputer to an asteroid. then launch it into orbit using whatever method you like, I prefer hyper edit. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37756-0-20-2-HyperEdit-The-God-Mode-plugin-for-Kerbal-Space-Program