[WIP]Rover RollKage

The tracks arent really made for high speed, so they dont roll over when turning (mostly). Questions should be made on the Rubber Band Inc thread though, so as not to steal focus from the rollcage here.

Having come across this simple, yet genius idea...I think I might make an additional track set tailored for the rollcage :D

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! Hold on a moment! I need to read this again....

oooooohhhhhhh!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback all!!

@Tommygun,

thanks for the screenshot, I knew someone would make something like this, but I did not expect it to be made Ion powered! Did your magnificent flying machine take off unaided? and can it sustain flight till the Xenon runs out??? Thats very cool. Pure Quality Man!

EDIT: and can you land it without breaking the wheels??

@Kommitz,

My stock rovers usually end up covered with struts for a rollcage, my bronze-age PC does not like high part counts, so I'm making this. Thank you for your kind words. It is kinda ok to use as it is, but the next one will be much better.

@anarkhon

Thank you!! I hope you will like the Mk2 when its ready!! I missed your post earlier, sorry!

Edited by angusmcbeth

@Tommygun,

thanks for the screenshot, I knew someone would make something like this, but I did not expect it to be made Ion powered! Did your magnificent flying machine take off unaided? and can it sustain flight till the Xenon runs out??? Thats very cool. Pure Quality Man!

EDIT: and can you land it without breaking the wheels??

I think it flies using some form of Evil Magiks. Basically the rover wheels get it up to about 16 m/s on the runway and then you aim for the runways drop off, from there the game's infinite glide bug takes over and your airborne.

It's really too heavy and I just threw it together. The engines may just be decorative and it's the glide bug that is making it fly. The wheels break often on takeoff at 16 m/s and I don't think you can land it without breaking them.

It's barely flyable, I land it by going in nose down into the dirt and hope the roll cage lives up to its name.

Edited by Tommygun

Yeah I wanted to make some small rover wheels to drive Kerbals around, your mod fits perfectly!

RollKage won't save you if you don't wear seat belts!

screenshot17.jpg

Very nice! do they work as stock or did you make a plugin?I ask because I am wondering if it is possible to make a set of ksp wheels with a long travel soft suspension with good dampening?

Edited by angusmcbeth

@ Zitronen

Nice, see my edit in my first reply!!

Mk 2 coming along now. I have 'borrowed' some precision pipe benders from the Rubber Band Inc factory next door!

Edited by angusmcbeth

I ask because I am wondering if it is possible to make a set of ksp wheels with a long travel soft suspension with good dampening?

Yes it is possible, but making wheels (proper suspension and stuff) is quite a lot of work. What size wheel are you thinking about? I can adjust the spring of one of my wheels for you if you want.

Size? oh, I really need to think about that. Think Dune Buggy!!! Rear suspension, big long springy stuff. Hold on a tick till I find a picture.

Dune buggy? Don't you mean Duna buggy, with an A? :wink:

Those are doable, the problem is the wheels have to be symmetrical front to back, because symmetry just rotates it around, otherwise you would have to make a left and right version separately. I learn this the hard way after lots of facepalming.

Also the suspensions are kind of "fake", the wheels just go up and down and not in a circular fashion like a real suspension with 4 bar linkages. So it may look a bit off when you have lots of travel.

Those are doable, the problem is the wheels have to be symmetrical front to back, because symmetry just rotates it around, otherwise you would have to make a left and right version separately. I learn this the hard way after lots of facepalming.

Also the suspensions are kind of "fake", the wheels just go up and down and not in a circular fashion like a real suspension with 4 bar linkages. So it may look a bit off when you have lots of travel.

Ahh right, I get what you mean (I think). So a springy suspension would look better if the springs were verticle?